shape
carat
color
clarity

New buy, but did not serve its purpose

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Equator

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I bought a 58 pts that was too good to pass up as an offer.... And I was half hoping that they would match my other a little over half carat stone. But when it came, I was "disappointed" that they weren''t matching. But was delighted to have two beautiful stones. I''ve already gone to a jeweller yesterday to have the setting made (for the bigger, naturally). The smaller one can wait in line until I can generate enough "disposable income" to make something else. =P

new 58pts.JPG

Equator

Rough_Rock
The two stones together.... I don''t think they would match (as earrings). What do you think ?

not quite matching.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
what are the mm measurements of both? Personally I think they look like they''d be great,
but it seems you have already made up your mind..?

Equator

Rough_Rock
Hi, AJ.... the smaller one is a 5.23 while the bigger one is a 5.45. I was thinking "I wouldn''t be able to the the difference" when I decider to buy it. But then when I put them side by side, I can sorta see that they are a little bit different.

You don''t think they''d look different, do you ?? I have little experience in matching stones for studs, having usually bought them at the jewellers done. Would appreciate what you experts think. Colour and clarity wise they are almost identical. It''s just the diameter of the stones and the different arrow "size" (whatevert you call them... =P ) that worries me a bit.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 3:37:14 AM
Author: Equator
Hi, AJ.... the smaller one is a 5.23 while the bigger one is a 5.45. I was thinking ''I wouldn''t be able to the the difference'' when I decider to buy it. But then when I put them side by side, I can sorta see that they are a little bit different.

You don''t think they''d look different, do you ?? I have little experience in matching stones for studs, having usually bought them at the jewellers done. Would appreciate what you experts think. Colour and clarity wise they are almost identical. It''s just the diameter of the stones and the different arrow ''size'' (whatevert you call them... =P ) that worries me a bit.
Hello again,
honestly, I think they''d be fab! You may see a slight difference side by side, but remember they will be separated by your head normally,
so I don''t think you''d ever notice it whilst wearing.
I haven''t purchased studs either, but I''ve seen stones with similar mm differences matched before with success.

Do you have a preference for style - bezel, prongs etc?

Equator

Rough_Rock
Hi, AJ. Thanks for responding....

I had the hardest time deciding on what to do with these.... I''ve always wanted a pair of earrings. I wear dangly earrings a lot. So I kinda wanted not just a normal stud (well... maybe a pair of studs would be nice too !! LOL). That was why I haven''t had the smaller stone set for ages, since (even with PS-ers help) since I want to be 100% sure of what I want to spend my annual jewellery spending for =P

Then again, I had a pearl ring with split shank that I love so much (but damaged) and had found a split shank design that I like very much. I''ve gone to a jeweller to talk about the costs, etc yesterday. I already have the stone measured and the gold put away, but is having second thoughts.....

For studs, I like the martini setting type (I love WF''s W setting), but worried what it''d stretch the pierced bit of the ear (please excuse the explanation). And I kind of thought that a half carat (each) is a good size classic piece for everyday wear. If I like dainty danglies, should I get smaller stones ?

Man.... I sound sooo greedy

me&myboys

Shiny_Rock
i think they look great! i honestly think that once they''re set and sitting prettily on your ears, no one will be able to tell the difference! eyes (and brains) are easily deceived by sparkling goodies!!!!!
26.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 4:59:00 AM
Hi, AJ. Thanks for responding....

I had the hardest time deciding on what to do with these.... I''ve always wanted a pair of earrings. I wear dangly earrings a lot. So I kinda wanted not just a normal stud (well... maybe a pair of studs would be nice too !! LOL). That was why I haven''t had the smaller stone set for ages, since (even with PS-ers help) since I want to be 100% sure of what I want to spend my annual jewellery spending for =P

Then again, I had a pearl ring with split shank that I love so much (but damaged) and had found a split shank design that I like very much. I''ve gone to a jeweller to talk about the costs, etc yesterday. I already have the stone measured and the gold put away, but is having second thoughts.....

For studs, I like the martini setting type (I love WF''s W setting), but worried what it''d stretch the pierced bit of the ear (please excuse the explanation). And I kind of thought that a half carat (each) is a good size classic piece for everyday wear. If I like dainty danglies, should I get smaller stones ?

Man.... I sound sooo greedy
Hrrmm..I''m afraid I''m not much of an earring girl, so I can''t really advise you much further...
personally, I love the WF W prong ones, I was going to suggest those! you could always ask NF if hers are comfortable? https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ps-gift-earrings-are-here-aca-studs-in-w-prong-settings.106195/

For me, I would be concerned 0.5ct is quite large for a dangly, but I guess it just depends on how it is executed and your
personal style. I am very casual most of the time, hence my preference for studs.
Would the split shank ring be for RHR?
Which don''t you have yet..?
5.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could have them set as earrings for now and keep looking to find a better match for either. The setting may or may not be able to be reused once you find the right stone, but the cost shouldn''t be too much for simple martini or dangle settings.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 6:38:11 AM
Author: Addy
You could have them set as earrings for now and keep looking to find a better match for either. The setting may or may not be able to be reused once you find the right stone, but the cost shouldn''t be too much for simple martini or dangle settings.
I agree!

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
I think you could get away with these - as other posters have said, they wont be side by side. Perhaps you could consult your jeweller to discuss settings that might hide the minute difference in size? I''m certain you can only tell when they''re side by side - separated they would look pretty much the same I feel. Good luck

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!, I think they will be a good match as earrings, maybe they are not exaclty the same size, but I don''t think anybody will see the difference. I will used them as earrings if I could
10.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
It seems the size difference wouldn''t be noticeable in studs. I think they are the perfect size too!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi equator, I have martini studs that are about the same size and they don''t stretch my ear piercings (the holes) at all. I think these would be beautiful!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I think they would make a great pair of earrings. Nobody will be able to tell the miniscule difference once they''re set and you''re wearing them.

sazza

Rough_Rock
That difference will be so small in real life I think. The pictures on here are reaaally big and I think that accentuates differences more than you''d actually notice.

I think they''d make lovely earrings :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll be the lone dissenter and say that I think the mm difference is too much for studs. You need to have the measurements closer than that to not be able to see the difference.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt that people would notice the difference in size either. I think they''d be great as earrings.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
unless your ears are right next to each other I think you''ll be fine!
35.gif
10.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt that far apart I could tell one is bigger than the other.

Equator

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone for your advice.

AJ, I''ve firmly decided that, yes, half carats are too big for danglies, and would limit my confusion to studs or a ring and half a stud. =D (and therefore opening another floodgate of trying to find a pair of smaller diamonds. Hahahhahah) I love them all, but found that I wear earrings and rings the most.

I already have 2 half carat rings (ooppsss...), but one of them is a gift from MIL and I don''t like the setting much (and it''s been sitting in my safe for 5 years) because it''s too fancy. I don''t know if resetting it is a possibility. =( I like the other one (which is a FSi1), but this one is a nicer cut. I don''t have studs this size yet (the other pair totalled a third of a carat), but still undecided about putting these two stones together.

Thank you, - m&mb, loveloveloveit, gaby06, MMT, katiedid, vespergirl, sazza, bee* ! To be honest, that was the purpose of this purchase. So, if I were one of those people who isn''t blinded by lots of possibilities to wear blings, I''d stick to making them a pair of studs. LOL ! And Addy and icekid''s idea of sticking to the initial purpose while looking for a replacement stone is a brilliant idea !!

Unfortunately, I am not. LOL. And I have to say that what diamondseeker2006 said isreally that little voice in my head.

Would resetting the stone leave marks on the surface ? I''ve seen certificates where there are prong marks on the stones'' surface.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 4:51:19 AM
Thanks, everyone for your advice.

AJ, I''ve firmly decided that, yes, half carats are too big for danglies, and would limit my confusion to studs or a ring and half a stud. =D (and therefore opening another floodgate of trying to find a pair of smaller diamonds. Hahahhahah) I love them all, but found that I wear earrings and rings the most.

I already have 2 half carat rings (ooppsss...), but one of them is a gift from MIL and I don''t like the setting much (and it''s been sitting in my safe for 5 years) because it''s too fancy. I don''t know if resetting it is a possibility. =( I like the other one (which is a FSi1), but this one is a nicer cut. I don''t have studs this size yet (the other pair totalled a third of a carat), but still undecided about putting these two stones together.

Thank you, - m&mb, loveloveloveit, gaby06, MMT, katiedid, vespergirl, sazza, bee* ! To be honest, that was the purpose of this purchase. So, if I were one of those people who isn''t blinded by lots of possibilities to wear blings, I''d stick to making them a pair of studs. LOL ! And Addy and icekid''s idea of sticking to the initial purpose while looking for a replacement stone is a brilliant idea !!

Unfortunately, I am not. LOL. And I have to say that what diamondseeker2006 said isreally that little voice in my head.

Would resetting the stone leave marks on the surface ? I''ve seen certificates where there are prong marks on the stones'' surface.
So does this mean you will be setting them as earrings?

(I have never heard of a reputable jeweller leaving perm prong marks? Perhaps an expert will pop in for advice?)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason I said to set to them as studs now and have them changed out is because that''s exactly what I''m in the process of doing. I have two-third carat total weight studs that aren''t a perfect match in mms. Mine average .06 mm out, but the entire stone is smaller and they are not perfectly round OECs. The biggest difference is .15 mm out. I''ve had them set like this for well over a year. Out of my ears, you can tell and it does bug me which is why I''m having them reset. In my ears, standing in front of a mirror, and I can''t tell which earring is which. I have now found a match and plan to have them reset in another couple of months. The jeweller told me that if he can reuse the earring setting the cost will be around $40-$50 for the setting fee, plus shipping costs to and from him. If he can''t reuse the setting then I would pay half the price of what the settings are sold for (since I only need one setting, not two), that''s closer $100-$120, plus shipping. I''m trying to find a trusty local jeweller to save a bit of money (I live in England, jeweller in the US).

To me, it was worth it to go with a slightly non-matching set when I did. I wear earrings everyday and they were something I wanted for a long time. I don''t know if the mm size is more forgiving in older cuts since they weren''t perfectly round to begin with or if it''s the same issue. I plan to use the odd stone out for a bezel set pendant.

Equator

Rough_Rock
No, Steel, unfortunately, =( being a flaky girl when given a choice of blings, I am still mulling over:
1. Doing what Addy suggests by making a pair of studs out of these two until a better matched stone arrives (then go to PS and ask you guys again on what to do with the "spare").
2. Making a RHR out of the bigger stone, and continue to have only half a pair of a carat studs until (again) I find a better matched stone.

What do you think ?

In a way, I am lucky that I didn''t have to go over this process with the ERing (or maybe DH is the lucky one for not having to endure this). LOL !

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 4:36:07 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 4/18/2009 3:37:14 AM

Hi, AJ.... the smaller one is a 5.23 while the bigger one is a 5.45. I was thinking ''I wouldn''t be able to the the difference'' when I decider to buy it. But then when I put them side by side, I can sorta see that they are a little bit different.

You don''t think they''d look different, do you ?? I have little experience in matching stones for studs, having usually bought them at the jewellers done. Would appreciate what you experts think. Colour and clarity wise they are almost identical. It''s just the diameter of the stones and the different arrow ''size'' (whatevert you call them... =P ) that worries me a bit.

Hello again,

honestly, I think they''d be fab! You may see a slight difference side by side, but remember they will be separated by your head normally,
LOL!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results