shape
carat
color
clarity

New blue Tahitians!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
What do you guys think of color/price these 9mm blue Tahitians for earrings? I’m been after a blue pair for a while now. They are around $250.

Blue enough or have you seen bluer ones?

7506434A-8D79-429C-82F1-A613A9072BFF.jpeg

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the one on the right looks much more green than the one on the left to me. would the mismatch bother you?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The difference in colour is enough to bother me personally.

The one on the left is bluer and that's what I prefer. I agree the one on the right has more green in it.

BTW, I LOVE blues, and a strand of 12-14mm blue Tahitians is on my bling bucket list.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a pic of different colours of Tahitians posted by a vendor in another board for pearls only, and the blue one is much bluer (second row from top, second from left).

tahitian_colors-1-jpg.548758

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@bludiva and @dk168

Wow, sharp eyes!! Now that you mention it, I do see a slight difference between the two although for the price I think it may be tolerable? (Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m still very new to the pearl world! But I see 9-10 mm diamondTahitian studs going for $995 on pearl paradise).

And @dk168 now THATS an intense blue in your photo, although given rarity of blue in Tahitians I don’t know how realistic it is to expect two of the same color of THAT color with a budget of $1000 and under...

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s another photo of them (top row).

I also liked the middle pair—although I’m not sure what color those are? Lavender? They are a teeny bit mismatched but less so than the blue pair. What do folks think about the middle pair?

I don’t care as much for the bottom peacock/copper pair. EA16E9CF-DB8B-476F-A07D-AFF95171FCDE.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the photos with 3 pairs with your original choice being the furthest away, the colour difference is not as noticeable when I viewed the photo on my mobile phone.

And it is the best of the 3 pairs.

The pair in the middle is more grey with blue overtones to me.

Given the pearls are worn on different ears and will not sit side by side, I would probably get your original pair if the price is right.

Jeremy at PP has posted a strand of intense blue Tahitians, over 10mm, with about 1mm variation in diameter for the necklace. I vaguely remember there might have been bigger pearls for earrings, a ring and a pendant.

No price was mentioned, and I knew it would be out of my league at the time.

During my trip to LA to meet up with other pearl enthusiasts from another board in 2016, we visited PP, and I went back on my own to pick up my goodies. I discussed my plan to get a strand of blues, and Jeremy reckoned my budget of 4k USD should be sufficient to get me a nice strand. However he said he would need some notice as blues were not very common.

I am aiming for 2025 as it is a milestone birthday for me, and should be able to save up by then for the strand as well as the clasp (I would like a diamond paved ball clasp).

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
p 5144 tahit round spec blue 9.9 pair.JPG m singleblue-tahitian-300x288.jpg

Those look a bit more green than blue - in the photos(which means that the photos may be inaccurate).

These are what I would call blue tahitians.The pair is just about a match for me though the one on the right is a bit greener and lighter. I had a lovely strand of 6.5-7mm blues but they've gone and I can't find a photo.Blues are becoming a little less rare in Tahitians as they become less common in Akoya.Blues are also turning up in freshwater pearls now..a real lovely sky blue which is very like the blue of blue south sea pearls Odd quirks of nature to keep us fascinated

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@dk168 A strand of blues sounds so beautiful!! Can’t wait to see it on you!

@Pearlescence That’s a lovely matching pair. Just curious, what would the going rate be for a pair like that? Not sure what the size is?

amoline

Shiny_Rock
They're a nice color, but they aren't particularly well matched - which sometimes is fine, especially for earrings. They aren't being worn next to one another, and Tahitian pearls will always change their "attitudes" depending on the light.

I like the middle, more lavender like pair.

Here's a strand of my mother's blueish Tahitians (before they got strung). They are a more cherry/blue mix as opposed to blue/green, with a peacock like overtone. Blue strands aren't cheap, but they shouldn't be overtly ridiculous and above what other strands are.

Point being, you can find almost any color/overtone that you want.
bluetahitian.jpg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
[

@Pearlescence That’s a lovely matching pair. Just curious, what would the going rate be for a pair like that? Not sure what the size is?
[/QUOTE]
Hi. Forum rules are strict about selling but these have already sold. They were smallish - 9.9mm

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@amoline thats a stunning strand of blues! How wonderful you have something so beautiful to remind you of your mom.

Reminds me of shot taffeta in its luster and iridescence: 2974725E-D572-486C-9099-4D85069BF20A.jpeg

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree that the pearls are not a match and I think the lustre on them , all of them, is not terribly sharp. It's not that common to find Blue/Blue pearls as in an intense blue. And for me the lustre is important and I'd much prefer a higher shine. But, the price isn't bad and reflects the quality. Personally I'd pass and wait for better pearls. ( probably need to go up a couple of hundred )

Amoline- Your mum's necklace is really gorgeous. That's the sort of sharpness the OP should aim for..

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@katbran thank you for sharing your wisdom; where might I find pearls of @amoline’s caliber, in terms of vendors?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Or better yet, @amoline, only if you don’t mind sharing, where does your fashionable mom like to shop for her lovely pearls?

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Truth be told, I don't know exactly where she shops. Mostly smaller vendors and suppliers, outside of the USA. You'll typically find much better deals if you can get in contact with them. I might have a few folks you could get in touch with - my contact details are on Loupetroop, and you're welcome to send me a message.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
p 5144 tahit round spec blue 9.9 pair.JPG m singleblue-tahitian-300x288.jpg

Those look a bit more green than blue - in the photos(which means that the photos may be inaccurate).

These are what I would call blue tahitians.The pair is just about a match for me though the one on the right is a bit greener and lighter. I had a lovely strand of 6.5-7mm blues but they've gone and I can't find a photo.Blues are becoming a little less rare in Tahitians as they become less common in Akoya.Blues are also turning up in freshwater pearls now..a real lovely sky blue which is very like the blue of blue south sea pearls Odd quirks of nature to keep us fascinated

Fresh waters in sky blue sounds beautiful. Any photos by any chance?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Fresh waters in sky blue sounds beautiful. Any photos by any chance?

So far there are mostly just patches on ripples but I did get this - well - lump of nacre - in blue with pink p 5791 blue and pink big lump of fw nacre spec.JPG

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rubymal , Google Blue South Seas if you like blues.

DK :Up_to_something:

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
So far there are mostly just patches on ripples but I did get this - well - lump of nacre - in blue with pink p 5791 blue and pink big lump of fw nacre spec.JPG

Beautiful shade! Thank you for sharing.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think you will find that pearls like that are a special order, you will not find pearls of that quality online. When you go to International Shows and do your research you can find the companies that have access to the absolute top end of the market. Only a small vendor can really afford to make such things available at a reasonable price as they have no real overhead. That said, pearls like the ones Amoline's mum bought are very expensive, even at wholesale you would be looking at thousands. High end Akoya are very pricey. I can't make any recommendation but I'm sure Amoline will be able to steer you in the right directions.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I think you will find that pearls like that are a special order, you will not find pearls of that quality online. When you go to International Shows and do your research you can find the companies that have access to the absolute top end of the market. Only a small vendor can really afford to make such things available at a reasonable price as they have no real overhead. That said, pearls like the ones Amoline's mum bought are very expensive, even at wholesale you would be looking at thousands. High end Akoya are very pricey. I can't make any recommendation but I'm sure Amoline will be able to steer you in the right directions.

Thank you very much for your thoughts!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@amoline and all,

I received the 9mm pearls today. Although I was told they do not have any blemishes, I found a tiny blemish on each pearl (see circles spots on photo). Should I be concerned, or is it unrealistic to expect “perfection in nature”?

I think the color is ok though and not too badly matched, a light silver body with some blue.

On the fence about whether or not to keep/return them ($250 and may be a hassle to return overseas).

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and tome

838F3923-D65B-4792-913A-0C5681CEA40B.jpeg A23EC98D-0DB2-4798-92B3-E933C97A8353.jpeg

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
More photos (luster looks good to my newbie eyes, I can see my facial features in the reflection).

just curious, do they look blue to others?

0AE80F37-5FFA-4B12-9D82-ABBD6D134571.jpeg CF6F9BCB-B079-4A69-A223-01FBCF8A2E07.jpeg

amoline

Shiny_Rock
It's perfectly realistic to expect unblemished pearls, if that's what you're told and what you're paying for.

Do I think that those blemishes will present a giant issue? No, but I'd be picky since you were told that they're unblemished. They are an OK match, and the luster is nice.

I don't know that you'd find truly vivid color at that price range, and the hassle of returning might not be worth it to you. But, I think that there may be nicer out there, considering the price you paid

They look more gray, imho but it's hard to tell via photo

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@amoline Thank you for your sage advice. I will sleep on it and make a decision soon.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s a better photo of them in indirect sunlight, accompanied by my multicolored Tahitian bracelet:

I suppose the pearls in the center look silvery blue, but mostly gray.

ABBFCDA2-0E23-4E61-B2AC-1581455021EA.jpeg

amoline

Shiny_Rock
They are blue enough I suppose, for the price.

is that a dimple/spot on the right hand pearl? A forward facing spot like that, imho, is unacceptable for an earring especially when you were told they are blemish free

something you may consider compromising on is requesting pearls that would set blemish free - any spots or marks are covered by the earring posts' cup.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results