shape
carat
color
clarity

"neon" stones

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK this is an attempt to prove a point. That sometimes colors and "trade considerations" may be secondary to personal preferences. It will take me a while to finish it; just because I have to sort through a number of unsorted pictures. I bet many people have better stones. And my photos are not good but perhaps adequate to prove a point...

So this new Mahenge spinel

neonspinel.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demantoid... the photo may not fully reflect the neon property but keep in mind how low the light is... it should not, really, sparkle, because there is very little light to reflect... but it does.

And then, my totally neon Namibian spessartite

764.JPG

neonNamibian.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My tsavorite that is rather bright than neon, it is medium dark and I'd say more velvety, but pay attention to a small sapphire next to it. It is neon in most lights.

neonts1.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a Lloliondo I bought from Gene. I posted photos and no one paid attention - perhaps because it was included and there was some brown secondary. Well, the brown totally disappeared in daytime light and the stone used to be incredibly neon-ish. Unfortunately, I spoiled all the effect by bezeling it, this is when I learned about the light/color factors in stones. The light in my office is incredibly dim, I did not use any 3500 K or 4000 K bulbs, but look at the effect!

neonlloliondo.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ruby that has so much fluorescence that it becomes neon in sunlight - these photos were taken in my office, with some sun getting through the window, the stone lying on a couch positioned close to the window. The window was closed. At evening light, the ruby changes from velvet to dark but the daytime effect is stunning. I think some strongly fluorescent stones "pick up" some UV lights from the sun...

fluorruby2.JPG

fluorruby1.JPG

neonruby.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now this sapphire by Jeff, technically, can not be called "neon". It turns immensely blue in yellowish evening light. The fact that it is a color-changer does not take away from its beauty in evening light. I think it is what I would call "a very crisp, bright color". It is saturated but very clean hence no velvety effect but it can be very bright. The tone is medium, definitely not medium-dark.

sapphire2.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided to post these two pictures because they show the Namibian, the ruby and the sapphire...

matchy-matchy111.JPG

neonrubybluesapph.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am trying to find a picture of my emerald earrings - when I saw them in that light, I decided to keep them although I do not wear emeralds. But I can not... shall try.

But this emerald is really not the best in the world, is it? It was bought from Dana for a token of the price, on sale, what not. Now, if I ever encounter a more saturated emerald which would have this glow, even if it may be not "what the trade prefers", I'd buy it on the spot because it has "neon" glow. I photographed some Russian emeralds, and they do not have this quality.

emerglow.JPG

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Those sure are some glowing stones you have! I really love the oval spess and the square ruby ring.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this boils down to the definition of "neon". It's not typical with some stones but is associated with others. For some other stones you would associate the word "glow" or "brightness" but "neon" may not apply. For example, I would never call an Emerald "neon" but they can have a wonderful velvety glow.

I guess for me I've been spoiled by the neon of Paraiba Tourmalines. I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything to rival one of those. They're just beyond description.

Whatever words we use, you have simply gorgeous stones Crasru. I would be proud to own a number of those. Your spess is magnificient and I've always adored the setting - so clever and architectural. I've never seen your sapphire bracelet before and that's just wonderful. It has a vintage look about it - is it?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Kismet, thank you, although I was not waiting compliments here... I just wanted to prove this point, that sometimes color may be "not perfect" or "not what is expected" or even have brownish modifier... and it still would not matter because of this glow, neon quality. Actually, Gene's Lloliondo is more indicative of my point because it has all the drawbacks, inclusions and all, and yet it glows. Same, BTW, with his small pink sapphire - and it is very interesting because it was bezeled, and yet it still is neon in some lights. Perhaps it has to do with bezel being made by James Meyer, and he probably knows some "secrets" that no one else does. I suspect it has to do with incredible polishing of the inner side of the bezel so that the light is reflected from behind. Otherwise I can not explain why his bezels do not change colors of stones.

I feel bad that my photos could not reflect the neon-ness of the demantoid which honestly, is a great stone. Laymen notice this "green stone" all the time. I shall have to ask a person I know, a nonprofessional but extremely talented photographer, to help me out because in real life, it is almost as neon as my Namibian.

And this is a photo of a Namibian spessartite I bought from Richard Homer. Honestly, I was not 100% happy with this purchase because the color was too yellow and not enough orange for me. But I asked a friend of mine, who has darker skin, to "model" the stone on her skin and took a momentarily shot with my Droid... see the glow?

from homer.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1312664905|2985568 said:
I think this boils down to the definition of "neon". It's not typical with some stones but is associated with others. For some other stones you would associate the word "glow" or "brightness" but "neon" may not apply. For example, I would never call an Emerald "neon" but they can have a wonderful velvety glow.

I guess for me I've been spoiled by the neon of Paraiba Tourmalines. I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything to rival one of those. They're just beyond description.

Whatever words we use, you have simply gorgeous stones Crasru. I would be proud to own a number of those. Your spess is magnificient and I've always adored the setting - so clever and architectural. I've never seen your sapphire bracelet before and that's just wonderful. It has a vintage look about it - is it?

LD - thank you very much, it was not to show the stones. To show them I, really, have to ask someone to help me out - with better experience, better camera and more interest in photography. Re. the bracelet, I bought it at what they used to call "police auctions" held in my town, maybe they are still held there, I forgot the name of this CA-based company but surprisingly, it has very good reputation in BBB. It cost a token, and I had it certified, the diamonds are real and some of them fluoresce. I had to tighten up some prongs, and size it, and I am wearing it all the time because I like it.

Much, of course, depends on photography. I think that "neon" or "glow" has to do partially with the light penetration and scatter by inner structure, and partially by its reflection from the surface. Than is why it is so difficult for me to buy from vendors who use photography with strong light "flowing through" the stone. It does not show the reflection from the surface. I do not want to point fingers - suffice it to say that it is very hard for me to buy from websites which use this "light-flowing-through" photography (and your photos in "Thaigemstore" thread yesterday were hilarious!)

I do not know which lights you Ladies-with-magnificent-stones use, likely, nothing tricky, but your best stones glow and fluoresce. I do not care how people in the trade rate TL's tsavorite she showed yesterday, it has neon quality so whether it is light-for-the trade, or right-for-the-trade, is irrelevant. What is relevant is that one would buy it on the spot.

Sorry - just read post by Harriet in another thread - she corrects me by saying that it depends on the saturation. Of course, it does. I would define "neon" as the effect you see when you are driving at night and see a jogger wearing light-reflecting clothes on a sidewalk. If you see this effect when you look at the stone in daylight, or incandescent light, it is "neon". It may change color in different lights, so the effect may not be permanent, but usually you see this effect even in dim light... say, you are entering a dark room with just a little bit of light from the hallway... and you still see the effect... and then it disappears in total darkness. I do not know how to describe it. I like the word "spectral" which Mark Sarosi once used.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
crasru|1312659459|2985531 said:
OK this is an attempt to prove a point. That sometimes colors and "trade considerations" may be secondary to personal preferences.

Hi Crasru,
I'm not sure that the instant point is in contention. I've always maintained that colour preferences are subjective. Pandora states so too. Thanks for the eye candy though. =)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know some people have different definitions for the word "neon." It is not really a technical term used in gemology, but it has come under constant usage by retailers and consumers alike. For me, neon color is extremely vivid saturation, so much so that the gemstone appears to glow. I think fluorescent markers are "neon" and they are the closest analogy I can use when I try to define this term.

Thanks for the beautiful photos Crasru.

normal_00510023-01.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I see what you mean about the beauty of the Lloliondo. I've come to realize that inclusions are okay with me if the overall look of the stone is stunning and the price is steeply discounted to reflect the inclusion.

I have a peach/pink sapphire that has a big feather on the edge, but is otherwise eye clean. It's beautiful. In the day it is peach, and at night under interior lights it is pink and you cannot see the feather at all. I didn't know it was a color shifter until after I received it.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I only officially hear the words Neon being bandied about with Paraiba tourmalines of a very high grade.

I would love to see one in comparison to 'bright' gems that were not on a vendor listing if anyone had some to show off...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if this is what you want Tristan? The first photo (top left) is a very well known photo of Paraiba Tourmalines that you can easily find on the web. All the other photos are of ones that I own and the photos have not been manipulated in any way. These stones, for me, are neon and glow. However, this really doesn't translate in a photo. IRL they almost look radioactive and "false"!

Underneath are two Emeralds I own. Both have a wonderful glow and most definitely have a presence but I wouldn't call either neon but they are certainly vibrant.

Paraiba montage.jpg

Emerald in yellow gold.jpg

Emerald Ring2 1s.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1312735400|2985877 said:
I only officially hear the words Neon being bandied about with Paraiba tourmalines of a very high grade.

I would love to see one in comparison to 'bright' gems that were not on a vendor listing if anyone had some to show off...

I actually hear the word "neon" a lot on Gem Shopping Network (even for stones that are not, to me, neon), and I hear it quite often in this forum from people who love the saturation of their gems. I do it too, but regardless, "neon"-ness is subjective. What one person considers "neon" may not be "neon" to someone else.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I consider my mint garnet to have a neon quality about it, especially when it's in the sun. It's very saturated, and very bright, and I think the brilliance also gives it some neon quality (glow), even in dim lighting. I have some neon cuprians, but I can't post them after LD posted her beauties. :oops:

Fluroescence can also make for a more "neon" stone in sunlight, as some Mahenge spinel owners can attest too. ;-)

Personally for me, if a stone is too dark in tone, I don't think it can be "neon." Can it??? I think most stones that fall into the neon category, are of medium tone and lighter, but I know others may disagree with me. Also, just because a stone isn't "neon," that doesn't make it unworthy or not attractive. Neon is more of a garish bright highly saturated color, like the fluorescent markers above. Some people actually don't like neon stones because they consider them garish (I love them however!!).

TLglowingmintgarnet.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1312735679|2985879 said:

I actually hear the word "neon" a lot on Gem Shopping Network (even for stones that are not, to me, neon), and I hear it quite often in this forum from people who love the saturation of their gems. I do it too, but regardless, "neon"-ness is subjective. What one person considers "neon" may not be "neon" to someone else.

+1

And here's a Spess I own. Some would consider this neon. I don't. It's bright, almost blindingly so, in some lights but in others it isn't.

Garnet Spess 1.06ct 3_1_1.JPG

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I have no intelligent thoughts to add on what makes a gem "neon," but just want to thank everyone for posting all the delicious gemstones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1312736068|2985884 said:
TL|1312735679|2985879 said:

+1

And here's a Spess I own. Some would consider this neon. I don't. It's bright, almost blindingly so, in some lights but in others it isn't.

I think one of the few stones that are known to consistently show a neon color about them are fine paraibas. Some emeralds can look "neon" in some lighting. I know medium to medium light toned emeralds can glow neon in some lighting. Here's my medium dark emerald, and as you can see, it has a strip of neon color glowing back at you, but it is not consistently neon, like a paraiba. It has some neon light return from the back facets in certain lighting, but it is not a neon stone, although it is saturated (more so than the photo).

TLemeraldsmall.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD - I can see that your photos were not manipulated. The small pendant's photo was actually taken under low light because the hand is pale and the diamonds in the bale do not sparkle. And yet the stone glows... BTW top emerald I would consider "neon" while the bottom one has warm, soft glow.
TL - I know the feeling you get when you look at your mint garnet. Agree, it is neon.

To many, it seems, neon is about color perception. To me, it is about the feeting, the "jolt ", that I get if I look at them. "Better not speed. Jogger on the road", or, "time to move. Green light, and the car behind me is honking"). One does not get these bolts when looking at darker, velvety stones, in fact, they should lower one's adrenaline . This would be my only definition, I think it is not so much about seeing as about feeling.

If I feel these jolts of electricity when I open the paper wrap I buy the stone on the spot. I'd use a term "spectral" were it not already used in a company's name.

Thank you both for showing your emeralds. I yet have to buy one and do not know enough about them.

I never saw paaraibas of comparable quality. The stones that I saw were bright but nothing like these. Where does one see them? At Smithsonian?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a beautiful collection. Your pendant and Namibian spessartite never fails to catch my breath. The ruby is another well coloured stone. Both are stone that I'd love to own.

Neon means many things to different people. Based on neon lights, I inteprete a neon-y gemstone as being shocking and limited to lighter colours just like the neon lights. To me, it is not possible for a deep green (no matter how saturated) to be neon, or deep blue, or whatever. When the tone is darker but the saturation is very good, such darker coloured stones will appear to glow instead. A clear example is Kashmir and fine Colombian emeralds - they glow but aren't neon.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1312735612|2985878 said:
I'm not sure if this is what you want Tristan? The first photo (top left) is a very well known photo of Paraiba Tourmalines that you can easily find on the web. All the other photos are of ones that I own and the photos have not been manipulated in any way. These stones, for me, are neon and glow. However, this really doesn't translate in a photo. IRL they almost look radioactive and "false"!

Underneath are two Emeralds I own. Both have a wonderful glow and most definitely have a presence but I wouldn't call either neon but they are certainly vibrant.

Gak. What a nice collection of Paraibas. Hmm... you really DO have a lovely collection.

That's the odd thing though, Praibas seem to always carry the caveat "they look far more Neon IRL" or something along those lines, whilst a lot of other gems do their bright dance/'neon' dance in certain lights.

When i said official, I was referring more to official colourations that labs use, and that are used as descriptors on well regarded sites. The shopping network claims all kinds of things that, while entertaining, are not even vaguely approaching the truth.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Neon means to me a stone that glows almost w/its own light even in low lighting. Like Paraibas. It's different from high saturation. I have a peach/coppery tourmaline that seems to have fire in it even in deep shadow. It makes my stomach flip over with joy. Other stones I have -- a beautiful blue spinel, a lovely very green tourm, are gorgeous but don't do that -- I wouldn't call them neon at all.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if this demonstrates the "glow" and "neon" quality of Paraiba Tourmalines but one important factor is how they perform in dimly lit conditions. Some of these in the photo below I would say are worthy of the classification "Paraiba" - others are merely very nice Cuprians.

Whatever you call them, the first photo is taken in my kitchen under incandescent lighting. The second photo shows the same gems (same lighting conditions) but this time under the table in the shade. You can see that some of the stones appear to have an internal lightbulb - some less so. Apologies for the quality of the photos as I had serious handshake trying to get all the rings to face the camera, balance the camera and get under the table all at the same time!!!

I'm afraid another caveat is that it was very difficult to show these photos without altering the settings on the camera. If I recall correctly, I didn't make any changes whatsoever so they are not the best photos in the world!

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yep, that's what I meant. Their own little light bulbs inside. I'm in agony over all your tourmalines, LD. Can I have just one?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now then Jewelfreak, if I gave you one I'd have to give everybody one as well soooooooooooooooo on that basis, I'm afraid that I'm going to say I'll be fair to all and keep them to myself! :naughty: :lol: :twirl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Okay, if you want to be that way about it, LD. But if you ever want to arrange a play date for them, call me! :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results