shape
carat
color
clarity

Negotiation possible at Cartier (for e-ring)?

curious_tim

Rough_Rock
I am deciding between 2-3 shortlisted e-rings (RB, Solitaire 1895) from Cartier, price range is $23-25k.

Does anyone know if one can negotiate on the price at a Cartier boutique, whether it be on the total price, or being able to purchase the wedding band at a better rate?

I know that the local jewellery shops can and will negotiate on e-rings, but I wasn't sure if international chains like Cartier, Tiffany etc will allow that.

I have read conflicting stories online, those that usually get a small discount are those that bring in X amount of cash and telling the SA that is all the money they have and wanting to get a ring 5-10% more than their cash. I'm not sure if I want to follow the same route since the SA has already picked out the 3 most suitable rings for me.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I think that if you do pay in cash you should be able to negotiate at least 3% off the price versus paying by credit card. The retailer normally pays about 3% in cc transaction fees.

curious_tim

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1362467175|3396614 said:
I think that if you do pay in cash you should be able to negotiate at least 3% off the price versus paying by credit card. The retailer normally pays about 3% in cc transaction fees.

Thanks sortmon, I just checked with the SA, they said cash and credit card will still be the same price (RRP), they do not offer any discounts and the price is non negotiable, which is what I thought.

Thought I'd just check anyway, since a potential 3-5% discount on $25k is still quite significant!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Price is non-negoitatble at Cartier. period.

However if you wanted an option I would personally get a bigger diamond online and put it in a cartier inspired setting, then take your FI to Cartier and let her pick out an amazing band.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP, it has benn my experience that stores like Tiffany and Cartier do not negotiate on price.
Must she have a Cartier ring? Is she dead set on that and no other options?
As you know shopping at Cartier or Tiffany's is a very expensive option. What I mean is that most people who come to PS, come to learn about diamonds, and get the best bang for their buck. This means coming to the forum with a budget in mind, style of stone and setting, etc and letting the experts on the forum help you. We have alot of very smart people on this forum who can analyze cut, clarity, etc (I am not one of them -lol).
Bottom line, you can get a nice stone at Cartier, but you can get a better performing stone with PS vendors, save a boat load of money or on the flip side get a bigger stone for the same bucks. It's your coin, best of luck.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this economy everything is negotiable. If Cartier sales rep says no I would go to a manager. If they don't I would go somewhere else.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other downside of this purchase is that you'll be paying sales tax on $25k. :errrr:

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder about this too. I saw a couple in Paris ask for a discount on a very expensive necklace and shamefully I tried to overhear their conversation. I think the sales associate saw me so he took them away! :oops: I did see the couple leave smiling and the guy winked at me so who knows!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results