shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your recommendations......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''ve settled on a setting...the Verragio e180x. I''m not at all hung up on the "designer" name.....frankly, I''d prefer to go non-designer, but this setting is the one.

However, I want to find someone who can replicate this setting to my specifications. I want to have it made in yellow gold, and have the side diamonds replaced instead with high quality aquamarines.

Can those of you who''ve had custom settings made recommend anyone good? Or have any of you found in your research good places to have custom settings done? Thanks in advance!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
AL...glad to hear you found the setting you wanted!
1.gif

www.tradeshop.com is one of the sites on the internet where they custom design jewelry...he has pages and pages of his gallery work listed, it's pretty cool. Seems he can pretty much replicate anything, I had emailed him asking for a quote on a diamond bracelet and the pricing was very good. I would drop them an email, you can even request a quote via their quote form in email and I got my quote back in a few hours. Attach a picture of the Verragio setting you are looking at so they know what you are talking about.

We had our setting made through our jeweler, if you are interested..here is the information. Jeff Garrett of Garrett Jewelers in Aptos, CA (831.662.0905) . Let him know that I referred you. Apparently, he had our setting made with the designer who is local to that area whom all of the area jewelers use for their custom work. The designer is supposed to be very good, we are extremely happy with our ring and the final product, it is very high quality, heavy platinum and each detail is perfect. I was worried as sometimes designers can skimp on the attention to detail on certain things, but this thing is by far one of the best pieces I have seen..of course it's mine too...but I'm VERY picky as you well know. The final product that he created for us is superb. Jeff is a bit of a technophobe so he doesn't have email or a computer so you can't email him a picture of the ring, though he should be familar with the Verragio settings as they are pretty well known.

Those are my recommendations. Good luck!!
1.gif

liz

Rough_Rock
I recommend Juan Manuel of Van Graff. He is currently making a custom design for me, and I've heard he can do just about anything, in any metal. If you do a search on Diamond Talk for "Juan's Work," you'll find tons of pics. Good luck!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/12/2003 5:55
6.gif
7 PM newenglandgemlab wrote:
Hi,

It may be a little tough to get real good quality aquas in small sizes. They may look very washed out. Just my thoughts, Cindy----------------
Thanks so far to all (Mara, Liz, Cindy) for the responses. I've never had a setting made custom before, so it's a little unsettling to try and make a solid choice.

Cindy, good point with the aquas, which actually brings up another question. I have NO idea where to go about looking for good quality aquas......I'd love some feedback from those of you in the biz (or anyone who posts here) on who you'd recommend I go to for quality colored gemstones (aquas.)

Any more recommendations on the setting would be greatly appreciated, too!
Thanks to all........I've really come to rely on this board as a primary resource!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Still hoping for some more feedback from those who haven't chimed in yet.

Anyone?

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
I strongly suggest you to go locally. Find a good jeweller in town,
look at his inventory... Find something close to what you like,
then ask him to make some small modifications (like your aquas),
then voila...you have your ring.. Remember also
that a picture of a ring on the internet is NOT at all telling you anything about
what this ring will look in the real 3D world...

Also, I've noticed that some rings can look OK when you look at them
under the jewellers glass... however, when it's time to look
at what they look on yours fiance finger, it's way different .....

Trichrome.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/14/2003 1:14:24 PM trichrome wrote:
I strongly suggest you to go locally. Find a good jeweller in town,
look at his inventory... Find something close to what you like,
then ask him to make some small modifications (like your aquas),
then voila...you have your ring.. Remember also
that a picture of a ring on the internet is NOT at all telling you anything about
what this ring will look in the real 3D world...

Also, I've noticed that some rings can look OK when you look at them
under the jewellers glass... however, when it's time to look
at what they look on yours fiance finger, it's way different .....

Trichrome.----------------
Trichrome....thanks for feedback, and EXCELLENT point. Had those same concerns myself about "what will it look like on the hand", so contacted a local jeweller who reps Verragio. They are having the setting brought in so we can give it a "test run". They know I'm likely not going to buy it (unless the earth shifts and platinum somehow becomes more desirable than 14K, but I HIGHLY doubt that).....jeweler said they are still willing to bring it in because they can always send it back to Verragio.

Thanks for excellent insight!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
bump

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
I don't like this kind of setting... They're too big and too complicated....
I prefer the Cartier style..... It's simple, has a fluid line, and yeah you can make
these types of setting more complicated using side stones or even better, a pave!!

Pave is excellent..... I love it.... it will make any ring more brillant than
the sun here in canada today.... and it's way cheaper than other
options..

Another point. I love Antique rings on a photograph... However when you look at
engraved things in real, they loose some of their beauty.. The engravement is so
small on a ring that from a meter away, it's very difficult to appreciate the work. Also,
with engravment, you're loosing the fluid line...... When I'm speaking about the
fluid line, think about the ring in LordOfTheRings movie.....it's so gorgeous...Stunning
yellow, perfect line....and yeah it's beautiful....however, it's very simple in another way!

Trichrome.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
In small sizes, you're going to definitely want to go with Madagascar aquas as opposed to South American aquas. They can hold a deeper color in small sizes than South American stones can even think of.

That said, even small Madagascar aquas in good color are on the difficult side to find. I can't think of anybody right off the top of my head, but if it were me I would contact the staff out at Pala International and ask them for direction. They specialize in medium to fine quality colored stones, and are extremely knowledgeable. I don't think they carry aqua themselves, but they probably know who carries the finest.

http://www.palagems.com/home.htm

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Steve L (who posts here as StevL) does great custom work and has made beautiful pieces for many online customers.

www.demsjewelers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results