shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED YOUR HELP WITH THIS DIAMOND! PLEAAAAAASSEEE

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
Hello All!

I am currently in the process of purchasing a 1ct round diamond loose diamond for an engagement ring. I am suppose to propose very soon and now I am not sure if I am making the right choice with this particular stone. I am very stressed but I know there are some very good people on this board with a wealth of knowledge that can provide their thoughts on this round.

I am also attaching the Sarin report.... which I am told the stone is not that great. I look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks so much!

The diamond spec from GIA is:

Measurements: 6.37 - 6.41 x 3.98 mm
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Cut: Excellent
Depth: 62.3%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 35.0%
Crown Height: 15.5
Pavilion Angle: 44%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 50%
Girdle: Med - S/Thick Faceted, 4.0%
Cutlet: None
Finish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Med Blue

Clarity Characteristics:
Crystal, Cloud, Pinpoint, Indented Natural, Natural

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that pavilion angle right? I think it might be a typo. Can you give me the GIA report #?

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply Diamond Seeker -- The GIA Num is 6221167364.

The below is the Sarin Report that I just figured how to upload lol .

d-fsmvrj.jpg

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
DIAMONDSEEKER -- sorry, I typed a lot of the info however this is what is listed on the GIA proportion section. you were right!

capture_32.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, that's better than 44, but the numbers are outside of what I would recommend. Very important for the angles to be complimentary. With a 35 crown angle, a 40.6 pav angle would be good, but the range of 40.6-41.0 is generally the range you want it to be. Over 41 is going to likely mean leakage in that stone.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Sometimes you can be slightly outside of these measurements, but if you can't access an idealscope or ASET image on the diamond, I would stick strictly to the numbers above.

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
Thank you DiamondSeeker. I will keep those measurements in mind as I look for other options. I am suppose to view the stone in a week and really though this one was it based on the conversation I had and the GIA report, I guess I was wrong. What do you think about this report? I really am not sure how to read it but when I compared to other similar reports their imaging was all red - which I am told is good. This one is much different to what I have seen on other reports. Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate you taking the time out to point me in the right direction!

d-fsmvrj.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LostAndNeedHelp|1462913011|4029907 said:
Thank you DiamondSeeker. I will keep those measurements in mind as I look for other options. I am suppose to view the stone in a week and really though this one was it based on the conversation I had and the GIA report, I guess I was wrong. What do you think about this report? I really am not sure how to read it but when I compared to other similar reports their imaging was all red - which I am told is good. This one is much different to what I have seen on other reports. Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate you taking the time out to point me in the right direction!

d-fsmvrj.jpg

This one has a solid white ring in the center which is showing you significant leakage. Definitely avoid a stone with this kind of image. I would not even go look at one like this. It is an example of why the angles are important.

I'd be glad to find you some good stones if you'd like. I'd just need your budget and range of preferred color and clarity. It would be helpful to know the style setting you are wanting, too.

Here is what you want an idealscope and ASET image to look like.

idealscope_amp_1.png

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
I'd be grateful for your help!

Budget: $4500
Carat: 1ct, Round
Clarity: VS1+
Color: I+
Polish: Excellent
Stone is going into a 4 prong setting. tapered with small side stones.
GIA certification
Anything else I am missing?

Thank you

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
I had some time to think and after looking and seeing so many amazing diamonds on this site from posters I am ok going with vs1, vs2, s1 as long as it's eye clean. I really want the right stone for my wife to be and this process is very emotional as well as confusing lol. I really hope some of you experts can provide some feedback and suggestions. Thank you in advance.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lostandneedhelp,

Are you open to buying the stone and setting online? Many, many of us work with the trusted online vendors here on PS and have great experiences. If you are, we can find you a great stone and setting within your budget.

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
Hi JDDN,
I already purchased the setting and just need the stone. If I knew it was going to be this difficult I would've just bought everything together. But she really liked that setting so I had no choice bc at the end of the day it's about making her happy.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LostAndNeedHelp said:
Hi JDDN,
I already purchased the setting and just need the stone. If I knew it was going to be this difficult I would've just bought everything together. But she really liked that setting so I had no choice bc at the end of the day it's about making her happy.

Okay, sorry you probably already said that! Are you open to buying the stone online?

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
As long as there is free return. And all relevant images etc I can see before hand. I was dealing with an online vendor amd getting stone shipped to showroom. I am open to doing that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LostAndNeedHelp|1462920358|4029972 said:
I'd be grateful for your help!

Budget: $4500
Carat: 1ct, Round
Clarity: VS1+
Color: I+
Polish: Excellent
Stone is going into a 4 prong setting. tapered with small side stones.
GIA certification
Anything else I am missing?

Thank you

Okay, I will look, but honestly for one carat, that is not going to be easy for $4500. I'll show you the lowest cost options I can find that are very well cut. I will tell you that top cut stones carried by most vendors here are graded by AGS which is the other respected lab.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1462993185|4030346 said:

wow, those WF stones are really really nice. DO you think that there is a noticeable difference between .90 and 1ct? Do you think I need to go higher with my budget? I cant thank you enough for taking the time out of your day to research and get me links for stones. Thank you so much DS.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
ac117|1462996540|4030369 said:
A few more closer to your budget. You should ask for IS/ASET images if you're interested:

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8278067-1.03-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS1-clarity.aspx - this is a 60/60 stone which will give you a bit more size and will favor more white light return than colored light return!

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8220254-1.02-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS1-clarity.aspx

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8320719-1.02-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-SI1-clarity.aspx

Thanks AC! I looked into it and they do not have IS/ASET images... :(

I am starting to lose my mind!!! I didn't think it was going to be this difficult lol.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I'm going to agree and say your budget is tight for what you want. I think you could find something within your budget with a vendor who doesn't provide the performance images, but that could be risky in my opinion. Here are 2 really gorgeous options, but they are smaller than what you are wanting. Seems like there's a price jump from 0.8 to 0.9 carats.

I know a lot of people like BN and choose based on strict parameters (like what DS posted for you), so maybe that's an option.

Check Enchanted Diamonds as I believe they have ASET and IS images on the site.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3664957.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3653206.htm

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
JDDN
Thank you for the links. I am really set on 1ct or a little under. I think it's a mental thing bit I want to be sure she is happy. If I need to up my budget then so be it 5200 but I hate the taxes on it in NY! I know 2 online sellers pay for the taxes so that is always a plus.

Those WF diamonds look reaaaaly nice!!

3Bean

Rough_Rock
I had a similar budget to yours. I ended up with a 0.90ct F SI1 cut to the ideal ranges that diamondseeker mentioned. Seeing the diamond up close, it sparkles! In the different online vendors, there are advance searches which you can set the cut ranges, this will help you look for some. Also, everyone's suggestions are great as well.

If you want to figure out more about what to look for, Gypsy has a good Diamonds 101 that she posts for newbies like us. Just relax, and have fun. Enjoy the hunt!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you on not wanting to pay sales tax! Here's a few possibilities, but they are in NY, so sounds like you'd have to pay sales tax. You will have to confirm if the SI1's are eye clean and if so at what distance.

I completely understand wanting to get it right and that you want a 1 carat stone. If there is any chance you think you may upgrade this diamond, I have to say that WF has a very liberal upgrade policy with their ACA and ES stones. Just a thought. Edge to edge brightness and well cut at 0.8 carats will outshine a poorer cut 1 carat. But if we can help find a 1 carat that's beautiful, then that would be ideal!

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R96-CEMKDP

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R101-7QDFNM

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R101-K27YSG

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the info JDDN and 3BEAN! I am trying to calm down... lol. The hunt was fun until i put myself in a time constraint and have to book a hotel soon for when i propose. i know this is def a story to be told after its all said and done. I really appreciate all of you amazing people who have taken time out to provide me with info and feedback. i hope one day i learn more about diamonds and can pay it forward.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you said that you already bought the setting so did they tell you the measurements of the stone that it will take? And do you have a picture of it? That might help in determining which stone you should go for.

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
20160410_152827.jpg

Here is the pic above. It is a set. I would've picked something differently but this is what she loves so that's that lol. I think the tag said it 3/4 -1ct. And she wants round. What do you think?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty! Is that the style she loves or she loves that exact ring and wedding band? Reason being, it's a fairly common set and easily one that most vendors carry. Can you find out the exact measurements it will take? Will the jeweler you bought the set from set an outside stone for you?

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
Thanks lol. We picked it out together. We went to Zales and she said she loves it and never felt that way about a ring so I bought it. The tag said it's for a 3/4 - 1ct stone. Is there anything else I need to know?

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Are you within your return period? It's a really pretty design, but the diamonds in zales settings are pretty bad quality - we can help you find a much better quality setting of the same design that will be way, way sparklier!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I don't know what you paid for the zales setting, but here's a similar option from blue Nile for $850 in 14k (links are stupidly not clickable, but if you cut and paste them, they work):
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_20305?elem=img&track=product

If you look below the stock image and click on the 3rd recently purchased, there's one with an 1.14 ideal cut I si1 for just over $6k all in.

Or this one is $670:
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-tapered-milgrain-diamond-engagement-ring_52867?action=14kWhiteGoldSelect&referrer=customizer&track=alternate-metalsCustomizer

I'm sure others who are better at this than I am have other good ideas :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results