shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED YOUR HELP WITH THIS DIAMOND! PLEAAAAAASSEEE

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
FightGravity|1463023753|4030573 said:
Are you within your return period? It's a really pretty design, but the diamonds in zales settings are pretty bad quality - we can help you find a much better quality setting of the same design that will be way, way sparklier!

Thanks FG! I did see the BN setting and there is a difference in the pattern and sides. I showed the BN one to her and she said "that's not my ring" and pointed out the differences lmao. She knew her ring after a few hours of just trying it on. Trust me, I did not want to do Zales either. Looked everywhere and couldn't find anything. Going thru BN would've been great and much easier. The one good thing is the zales purchase was a bridal set and it was under $1k. It was actually on sale. Nevertheless, I would've liked to have gotten it from BN.

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
img-20160512-wa0001_1.jpg

Here is a clearer picture of the set.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally understand that she loves the setting, it's very pretty. However, I 100% agree with the other posters when they strongly suggest getting the set from a more well-known and respected vendor versus zales. I have to say from personal experience: I got my e-ring and wedding band set from a respected jeweler in my area. Later on I wanted a second wedding band, and went to Kay's. It originally looked totally fine, but I soon realized that once I left the nice jeweler lighting, my new band looked "dead" next to my e-ring and wedding band from the better jeweler.

I say that because if you're here trying to find the best diamond for the ring, I worry that the diamonds in the set will start to look sub-par once you get a high quality diamond in it. Also, the work from Zales is never top-notch and likely diamonds will fall out and need to be replaced regularly.

Luckily the setting is definitely something that can be made by any competent vendor, since it isn't overly complex. I would talk to WF or BN about looking into making something like that. Or go with some of the more reasonably priced custom vendors (Brilliantly engaged or David Klass) about re-creating it.

I promise it will be better in the long run, and your future wife will thank you!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's true that that set would be extremely easy to replicate with better mele and with far better craftsmanship. OP, it is very likely that those diamonds are going to fall out much, much sooner than you and your GF hoped they would. And that it'll need to be dipped much, much sooner than you hoped. All I'd say is that when that time comes, convince your GF to get a new set that is better made from a different jeweler not at Zales again. Many people have come on this board frustrated and angry that their Zales or Kay's or other mall jewelry has fallen apart and what makes it worse is that they spend more and more and more trying to fix or replace at the same store. When they finally figure out they need to move on and not sink even more money into a poorly made ring at a mall store, they are so pissed, lol. I think it's sweet you bought your GF exactly what she wants and it helps that you didn't pay and arm and a leg for it too. But hopefully you can get a really gorgeous diamond. If it makes the set look dull or drab, well, it was a learning experience and you can get something better for your anniversary ;)) .

One thing I wonder is if you've asked Zales if they will set an outside stone. And if they are going to set the stone, you absolutely must insure it before they take possession of the diamond. People here like Jeweler's Mutual and Chubb. I think there are a few others, so just type jewelry insurance in the search bar to see who else is recommended.

Honestly, I love the idea of getting a 0.85 carat ACA at WF and upgrading the whole thing with them for your 5 year anniversary, LOL!! You see how some of us think over here :lol: .

LostAndNeedHelp

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I was thinking of that too regarding the issue with a really good diamond next to really sub-par diamonds. I was told (please correct me if am I wrong) that because the paved diamonds are so small it wouldn't make that much of a difference when compared to a better mounted stone. What are you thoughts on that statement?

I love the idea of upgrading at the 5th year anniversary. It really is a good idea. I think I can return the set back to zales but that leaves me with no E-Ring and BN takes 8-12 weeks. I am planning on proposing on the July 4th weekend :/ or sooner.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that statement is largely false. Poor cut highly included mele is probably going to look drab next to well cut not as included mele. With diamonds that small you don't necessarily have to get ACA quality mele, but if the stones are really poorly cut and highly included they can definitely look dull or lifeless.

What about this? Just a note....if you think you may upgrade this diamond, go with a vendor with a liberal generous upgrade policy. If you will keep the stone and buy another, then it doesn't really matter. BN you have to spend twice the amount as the original stone, so that's not so great.

You can have them add millgrain on the setting which will give the same look as the setting your GF chose.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fans-of-vintage-milgrain-engraving-pave-need-your-opinions.177974/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fans-of-vintage-milgrain-engraving-pave-need-your-opinions.177974/[/URL]

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3653206.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3653206.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I want to ask you about those rings if it is her exact size or were they going to size them? Because it is always best to have the rings in the correct size because sizing them can cause the pave stones to loosen. Is there a link on the Zales site to those settings so we can see if they list the diamond quality? I really like the style but I agree with the others that the quality may not be great, and it probably isn't at that price, unfortunately.

I would definitely not use BN for settings, either. I would absolutely go with the WF Legato Sleekline with milgrain added, as JDDN mentioned. It will be a FAR nicer setting! The head and prongs are so much prettier than the one from Zales. But just understand that upgrading diamonds usually means replacing settings, so I would get a diamond and setting for long term now or else buy a super cheap plain setting now and waiting until the upgrade to get a nicer one. Most people in the world never upgrade. We are kind of unusual here!

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

I see nothing wrong with going with a WF stone in the .90's. I'd rather see you with a high quality diamond and setting. WF will have no problem with your timeline. But don't wait too much longer!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woopsy! I see in my last post I linked the stone twice when I meant for one of the links to be for the Legato pave setting. DS linked it for you ::) .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1463088371|4030915 said:
Woopsy! I see in my last post I linked the stone twice when I meant for one of the links to be for the Legato pave setting. DS linked it for you ::) .

When we all use our brains collectively, it usually works out! :lol:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
JDDN|1463088371|4030915 said:

When we all use our brains collectively, it usually works out! :lol:

And thank goodness for that!! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results