Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Need to buy an Engagment Ring.. hopefully by this week!

hihiorange2

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
8
Our condo is interim closing is approaching and I wanted to take her to condo inspection as a Fiancee :love:

I graduated from University for a couple of years and my savings have all gone to the down payment.. so I am on a very tight budget for the ring.. my ideal price range is around mid 60k....she preferred "pave settings" and I hope to go for one that is around 0.7 to 0.9 carats round diamond with excellent to ideal cut..

I have been reading some articles and used some HCA tools to help me pick out some..


My friend got one at adiamor but her bf had the diamond shipped to US and picked it up there (i live in Canada)
other than that person, the other people around me have been ordering from bluenile and all the feedback have been positives..

though i understand that james Allen, WF are probably better choice than bluenile and offer more settings...yet I am somewhat concern about the shipping to Canada part..(i might have to pay extra.. :?: )

Here are the two that i choose so far, please kindly comment on these...

http://www.bluenile.ca/build-your-o...tep=DIAMONDS_STEP&builder=BYOR&pid=LD02167398 I liked this one but it seems to have some clarity issues on the GIA report?

http://www.bluenile.ca/build-your-o...tep=DIAMONDS_STEP|builder=BYOR|pid=LD02032387


http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391329.asp this one from James Allen actually looks good and plus the $900 pave settings fit in perfectly!

Thanks soo much for all the help in advance.. i am welcome and very open to other suggestions as well!!
 

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 9, 2008
Messages
14,069
Clarity issue? Inclusions at VS level and better will never be a problem.

Numbers for the 2 BN stones look promising but probably appeal to different taste, but that is all the information you can get from them. The 0.80c is a more balance cut, while the 0.77c has a larger table and lower half size, some people will be able to tell the difference and gravitate to one or the other.

The JA stone look promising so far, ask for the idealscope and Hearts' image.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
hihiorange- I think you meant that your budget is around mid 6K... when I saw that you said you have a tight budget and then 60K I almost choked on my food, lol!

Does your GF have any color or clarity preferences?

Some to look at- keep in mind many pave settingg will cost around 1,000-1,500 range depending.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391350.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391340.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391321.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391336.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-IF-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1383420.asp
 

hihiorange2

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
8
Amys Bling|1310987530|2971280 said:
hihiorange- I think you meant that your budget is around mid 6K... when I saw that you said you have a tight budget and then 60K I almost choked on my food, lol!

Does your GF have any color or clarity preferences?

Some to look at- keep in mind many pave settingg will cost around 1,000-1,500 range depending.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391350.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391340.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391321.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391336.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-IF-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1383420.asp
Hi Amy, LOL yes, i meant mid 6k as my budget ahhahaha fat fingers.. :razz:

My gf at this moment does not have any preference… regarding to all other Cs..
all she did was played around the scale and looked briefly looked at the description of the 4Cs on the bluenile website…
Trust me, Carat is still everything for her in terms of diamond knowledge…

Obviously, her attitude will change once she start comparing hers with her other engaged friend’s ring (her friends have oaded bfs).. which I don’t want this to happen..at least i can give her one relatively close to 1 carat yet with fire :angryfire:

Color I would like to have at least G and Clarity not lower than VS levels, preferably VS1…

Thank you soo much for your reply!!!!
as I am at work now and can’t really look at your recommendation in details (hopefully I can do it during lunch. :twisted: .)
 

hihiorange2

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
8
Stone-cold11|1310985288|2971265 said:
Clarity issue? Inclusions at VS level and better will never be a problem.

Numbers for the 2 BN stones look promising but probably appeal to different taste, but that is all the information you can get from them. The 0.80c is a more balance cut, while the 0.77c has a larger table and lower half size, some people will be able to tell the difference and gravitate to one or the other.

The JA stone look promising so far, ask for the idealscope and Hearts' image.
the 0.8c one is already gone :saint: .. my concern is in the GIA report clarity characteristics, it has all crystal, cloud, needle, Pinpoint...seems a little too much?
 

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 9, 2008
Messages
14,069
still the same, if it is a VS1, it means the worst inclusion is only VS1, you will not be able to see it with the naked eye. Even if equipment, most of the time you will not see it unless you know what to look for.

How do you know if a VS1 has only one type of inclusions is better? If may have more of the same inclusions. So the number of types of inclusions present is irrelevant.
 

hihiorange2

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
8
Stone-cold11|1311000778|2971391 said:
still the same, if it is a VS1, it means the worst inclusion is only VS1, you will not be able to see it with the naked eye. Even if equipment, most of the time you will not see it unless you know what to look for.

How do you know if a VS1 has only one type of inclusions is better? If may have more of the same inclusions. So the number of types of inclusions present is irrelevant.
Thank you for your explanation.... just various type of inclusions scared me off abit..

i tried to sneak online to look at Amy's suggestions..
Again, i still liked the one i picked before and one of hers.. wondering which one is better..seems like the 0.82 one has a better HCA score..

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391329.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391321.asp
 

IbrahimSS

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 18, 2011
Messages
71
I can't help but proceed all my posts with I'm not an expert. I just bought a diamond and was helped out by the community here so I'm trying to give back by helping to reply.

I'd stick to some of the vendors from the search engine on this site. James Allen, Good Old Gold, and White Flash being examples. I've seen mixed reviews on Blue Nile and I don't really feel like they provide you with enough information to make an educated decision on their stock of diamonds. The vendors on this site provide you with reports, idealscope images, and generally speaking proven customer service.

I bought my (my girlfriend's really) stone from Good Old Gold. So far they have been a pleasure to work with. I also had help from the people at James Allen who were rather friendly as well. I worked with White Flash but I found them a bit more pushy.

I also worked with the guys at Southern Wholesale Jewelers who are not affiliates of this site as far as I can tell. My experience with them so far as been very, very good. Prices were great, and they were honest and knowledgeable. I'd say however that I don't think their site is as good as the ones from the search engine here.
 

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 9, 2008
Messages
14,069
hihiorange2|1311003152|2971414 said:
Thank you for your explanation.... just various type of inclusions scared me off abit..

i tried to sneak online to look at Amy's suggestions..
Again, i still liked the one i picked before and one of hers.. wondering which one is better..seems like the 0.82 one has a better HCA score..

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391329.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391321.asp
About the same from the infor available so far. I would wait for the idealscope and hearts image before deciding on which stone is better.
 

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
1,063
I wanted to throw this diamond out at you it is an SI1, but it looks like a pretty spotless SI1. I think it really looks like a dandy for a great price.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2645107.htm

I'm not sure what they would charge you living in canada, it sounds like free shipping, I would call and find out.

http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/faq/free-shipping.htm

If you are at all interested in the diamond I would call and place it on hold.

Settings

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/rounded-open-cathedral-diamond-engagement-ring-626.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/petite-open-cathedral-diamond-engagement-ring-1539.htm

or you can get the set to avoid shipping again

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/wedding-sets/petite-open-cathedral-diamond-wedding-set-1540.htm
 

hihiorange2

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
8
Stone-cold11|1311005974|2971448 said:
hihiorange2|1311003152|2971414 said:
Thank you for your explanation.... just various type of inclusions scared me off abit..

i tried to sneak online to look at Amy's suggestions..
Again, i still liked the one i picked before and one of hers.. wondering which one is better..seems like the 0.82 one has a better HCA score..

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391329.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391321.asp
About the same from the infor available so far. I would wait for the idealscope and hearts image before deciding on which stone is better.
I have already requested by e-mail, hopefully can have it by today :twirl:
 

hihiorange2

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
8
Yeaa, finally the idealscope and H&A pictures are IN.. :appl:

Here are my Last two choice.. please help me make a decision..

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391329.asp

Idealscope for 1329: http://i55.tinypic.com/2ds0e1u.jpg
H&A for 1329: http://i51.tinypic.com/11qgsb4.jpg

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391321.asp

Idealscope for 1321: http://i51.tinypic.com/2ci7kg2.jpg
H&A for 1329: http://i55.tinypic.com/24fxu8y.jpg

Thanks a million for everyone's help :razz:
 

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 6, 2011
Messages
995
hihiorange2|1311265239|2973809 said:
Yeaa, finally the idealscope and H&A pictures are IN.. :appl:

Here are my Last two choice.. please help me make a decision..

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391329.asp

Idealscope for 1329: http://i55.tinypic.com/2ds0e1u.jpg
H&A for 1329: http://i51.tinypic.com/11qgsb4.jpg

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391321.asp

Idealscope for 1321: http://i51.tinypic.com/2ci7kg2.jpg
H&A for 1329: http://i55.tinypic.com/24fxu8y.jpg

Thanks a million for everyone's help :razz:
I'd pick the first one. 0.82.
 

hihiorange2

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
8
ahah, i'd expect a longer feed back from Stone!.. j/k!!

Thanks ! i guess for JA, i should mention all the PS discount as well as band discount when i place my order! :confused:
 

hihiorange2

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
8
Thank you everyone for your assistance!!! :love:

Order is placed!! and i asked the sales rep for PS discount!! it was nice 200+ dollars off.. which allows me to choose a nicer setting :appl:

will wrap up the whole experience once everything is done smoothly!!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?
    Scorpio Style
    Scorpio Style
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top