shape
carat
color
clarity

Need tips on Emerald Cut for friends E-ring..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
My friend is getting engaged ,and since I am ALWAYS on this site, I tend to know more than the average person about diamonds. But when it comes to emerald cut stones, I know nothing!
They are taking me with them next weekend to look for a nice stone. While I do know some basics things (lke clarity has to be pretty clear because it''s a step cut, etc) I don''t know what the specs SHOULD be, or what is reccomended for an emerald cut.

She''s looking for a 1.25ish, (1.5 l/w) emerald cut.

Any tips? Any pics to share? Thank you guys!! I promise I will snag pics when she is finally engaged!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Use this as a rough guide

http://www.gemappraisers.com/oldcutgraderules.asp

It's a good thing you will be looking in person also because fancies need to be seen. I would go no lower than VS2. Color is also more apparent in step cuts so that is something to keep in mind. Look out for bow ties or a dark cross shape which can sometimes be apparent in ECs as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey... they are like asshers in many respects... show color and inclusions easilty. Table should be smaller than depth. Table around 58-66 and depth of 64-69 are how I like them. The girdle should be even. Shouldn't be very thick (you lose spread) I like a Medium girdle.. strong, and even but good spread. I also (personal preferance) prefer fatter ones of ratios of 1.17 ish. You've pretty much got to stay VS only. Oh, and take your loop. Good luck.
ETA; Symmetry should be VG or higher, that's very imporant with step cuts. And polish should also ve VG or above.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results