shape
carat
color
clarity

Need stud setting ideas for my next recycling project!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I am like Al Gore- I just love to recycle!
Since I had a family stone put into a solitaire pendant I have now turned my beady little eyes onto the stone that is my 18K YG solitaire necklace, (19th b-day gift.) I had the jeweler who did the setting for my pendant size-up the stone for me and he estimated it was 0.35 ct and pronounced it a "nice stone."
I know the stone I have is most likely nowhere near an ideal cut- but it will have to work for now and I don''t think it will be tough to find a match for it after I get it more thoroughly evaluated.
I am thinking I would like some settings that will dress them up a bit and give the earrings some more size and more oomph.
I know bezels give the earrings more size, but they are are so modern looking and my pendant and rings aren''t modern- also for some reason plain bezels seem casual to me.

Has anyone ever seen any of the following:
1) bezel set earrings where the bezels are milgrained?
2) studs with small halos around them?

I have done a lot of searches and haven''t found much-
I don''t want the earrings to be too matchy-matchy to my pendant, but I really don''t care about them being too dressy or flashy as I do have more casual earrings (v. small yg bezel set studs that aren''t great quality, pearls, etc.)

All I have been able to find halo-wise are jackets like these:
earringjackets.jpg

Any ideas/opinions are GREATLY appreciated!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a lot like you in my taste (as in I *love* antique looking jewelry). I have thought a lot about future studs. I am leaning towards a milgrained bezel. I feel like a bezel would love so seemless in earring jackets but the milgrain would soften the look. I think it was widget that posted a pair of antique stones set this way and they were beautiful.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Adwar makes some nice halo mountings that are bead set with a halo... they have one that is a circular halo and one that is octagonal/stop-sign shaped. Both are very nice. Any jeweler should be able to order the castings, sell you the small diamonds and set/finish it for you. Good luck :)

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 1:09:02 AM
Author: Adylon
Adwar makes some nice halo mountings that are bead set with a halo... they have one that is a circular halo and one that is octagonal/stop-sign shaped. Both are very nice. Any jeweler should be able to order the castings, sell you the small diamonds and set/finish it for you. Good luck :)
I looked at the adwar catalogs online for ideas for my pendant setting and ended up going w/ one from another casting catalog company. One thing I noticed about the catalogs is that they tend to have spaces for the main stone to be either .25, .5, .75 or 1ct. etc.
I didn''t know if it would be possible to find a casting ready to go w/ a space for a .35 stone...

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 10:42:20 PM
Author:dtnyc

Here are bezel set earrings with millegrain...these happen to be antiques, but I suspect it wouldn''t be hard to get something similar if you like the look:

tw 08hPlat.jpg

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 9:35:17 PM
Author: widget
Date:

Here are bezel set earrings with millegrain...these happen to be antiques, but I suspect it wouldn''t be hard to get something similar if you like the look:

Widget those are exactly along the lines of what I was thinking- I couldn''t find pics of anything like that anywhere!
I am going to print them out and call DBL next week to see when I could swing by.
Do you think they could do something like that?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
widget- also- can I ask what size stones those are?
they are lovely!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, dtnyc! I''m not even sure their exact size...isn''t that shocking? I got them years ago before I paid any attention to ''details''.

They''re pretty big...my guess: 3cttw...maybe a bit more...

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 9:56:08 PM
Author: dtnyc

I am going to print them out and call DBL next week to see when I could swing by.
I don''t see why not...isn''t it no big deal to add millegrain to standard mountings?

Here''s a pic of mine from the side. Cool I think, sort of ''martini-ish'', but something like this probably would have to be custom made:

00hbu704.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 10:21:04 PM

Date: 1/5/2007 9:56:08 PM

I don''t see why not...isn''t it no big deal to add millegrain to standard mountings?

Here''s a pic of mine from the side. Cool I think, sort of ''martini-ish'', but something like this probably would have to be custom made:
widget, those ARE really cool! But, I can''t believe you don''t know how big they are.
11.gif
2.gif

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!
They are BIG- I love them... I like big- I know cut is king, but I really like big stones.

I love the backs of them- sigh.. I feel like this earring project is going to be much more difficult and more expensive than my necklace recycling project!
7.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Widget I am so glad you posted those! I love them *swoon* Did you ever post ear shots?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen both. I had studs with a milgrained and rope halo, and loved them but they were yellow gold. I also just saw a mouting with a halo of tiny diamonds, with a tiny airline between the center stone and the halo. STUNNING. My local jeweler had them. I also love those sort of hanging ones that someone posted from Leon, sort of a stud that dangles...love the look of those too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Off topic (love widgets earrings) ... what casting catalog company did you go with and do they have a website?
Date: 1/5/2007 9:22:16 PM

I looked at the adwar catalogs online for ideas for my pendant setting and ended up going w/ one from another casting catalog company. One thing I noticed about the catalogs is that they tend to have spaces for the main stone to be either .25, .5, .75 or 1ct. etc.
I didn''t know if it would be possible to find a casting ready to go w/ a space for a .35 stone...

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy- this is SO bad, but I don''t know what casting company the setting came from!
I had a couple parameters for my halo pendant- I wanted it to have milgrain w/o having a ton of filigree work and I didn''t want there to be a lot of metal showing- do you know how some halo bezels in pendants can almost look like they are a circle of channel set stones around the main stone? I wanted to avoid that. The halo stones in my pendant almost seem to "bump" out around the perimeter.
I found a couple in the adwar catalogs I liked, but my jeweler didn''t have adwar and has a slow dial-up connection.

I could probably ask him next time I am down visiting my parents (next weekend maybe) which catalog the setting came from.

I love this little B&M, but I since I have to buy a stone for this project I think I will probably get a better deal either online or here in NYC.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 10:21:04 PM

Widge, those are BEEEEEEEEEEE-uuuuuuuuu-tiful! WOW! LOVE the detailing on the profile view.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I am like Al Gore- I just love to recycle!
Since I had a family stone put into a solitaire pendant I have now turned my beady little eyes onto the stone that is my 18K YG solitaire necklace, (19th b-day gift.) I had the jeweler who did the setting for my pendant size-up the stone for me and he estimated it was 0.35 ct and pronounced it a ''nice stone.''
I know the stone I have is most likely nowhere near an ideal cut- but it will have to work for now and I don''t think it will be tough to find a match for it after I get it more thoroughly evaluated.
I am thinking I would like some settings that will dress them up a bit and give the earrings some more size and more oomph.
I know bezels give the earrings more size, but they are are so modern looking and my pendant and rings aren''t modern- also for some reason plain bezels seem casual to me.

2) studs with small halos around them?

I have done a lot of searches and haven''t found much-
I don''t want the earrings to be too matchy-matchy to my pendant, but I really don''t care about them being too dressy or flashy as I do have more casual earrings (v. small yg bezel set studs that aren''t great quality, pearls, etc.)

All I have been able to find halo-wise are jackets like these:
earringjackets.jpg

I LOVE those jackets! Where did you find them?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2007 12:13:35 AM

I had a couple parameters for my halo pendant- I wanted it to have milgrain w/o having a ton of filigree work and I didn''t want there to be a lot of metal showing- do you know how some halo bezels in pendants can almost look like they are a circle of channel set stones around the main stone? I wanted to avoid that. The halo stones in my pendant almost seem to ''bump'' out around the perimeter. .
You may want to consider a prong-set halo instead of a bezel/milligrain halo, then.

You can see what I mean here.....the top one is prong-set and has a much less ''defined'' look to it than the bezel does....

bezel%20WF%20halo%20comparisons%20on%20hand.jpg

....another view....the one on the left (bezel) may more resemble the ''channel'' look that you''re trying to avoid, where the prong-set on the right ....not so much.

wf%20two%20bezels%20side%20by%20side%20with%20sparkles.jpg

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2007 12:19:35 AM
Author: jayrenay9

earringjackets.jpg

I LOVE those jackets! Where did you find them?

www.hlgross.com - they are on that site somewhere... it''s a jewelry store in the town my husband grew up in. I discovered their website around the same time I found PS.
We went there to try on wedding bands and I was really not impressed, but their website has good ideas sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results