Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Need stud setting ideas for my next recycling project!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I am like Al Gore- I just love to recycle!
Since I had a family stone put into a solitaire pendant I have now turned my beady little eyes onto the stone that is my 18K YG solitaire necklace, (19th b-day gift.) I had the jeweler who did the setting for my pendant size-up the stone for me and he estimated it was 0.35 ct and pronounced it a "nice stone."
I know the stone I have is most likely nowhere near an ideal cut- but it will have to work for now and I don''t think it will be tough to find a match for it after I get it more thoroughly evaluated.
I am thinking I would like some settings that will dress them up a bit and give the earrings some more size and more oomph.
I know bezels give the earrings more size, but they are are so modern looking and my pendant and rings aren''t modern- also for some reason plain bezels seem casual to me.

Has anyone ever seen any of the following:
1) bezel set earrings where the bezels are milgrained?
2) studs with small halos around them?

I have done a lot of searches and haven''t found much-
I don''t want the earrings to be too matchy-matchy to my pendant, but I really don''t care about them being too dressy or flashy as I do have more casual earrings (v. small yg bezel set studs that aren''t great quality, pearls, etc.)

All I have been able to find halo-wise are jackets like these:

Any ideas/opinions are GREATLY appreciated!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a lot like you in my taste (as in I *love* antique looking jewelry). I have thought a lot about future studs. I am leaning towards a milgrained bezel. I feel like a bezel would love so seemless in earring jackets but the milgrain would soften the look. I think it was widget that posted a pair of antique stones set this way and they were beautiful.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Adwar makes some nice halo mountings that are bead set with a halo... they have one that is a circular halo and one that is octagonal/stop-sign shaped. Both are very nice. Any jeweler should be able to order the castings, sell you the small diamonds and set/finish it for you. Good luck :)

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 1:09:02 AM
Author: Adylon
Adwar makes some nice halo mountings that are bead set with a halo... they have one that is a circular halo and one that is octagonal/stop-sign shaped. Both are very nice. Any jeweler should be able to order the castings, sell you the small diamonds and set/finish it for you. Good luck :)
I looked at the adwar catalogs online for ideas for my pendant setting and ended up going w/ one from another casting catalog company. One thing I noticed about the catalogs is that they tend to have spaces for the main stone to be either .25, .5, .75 or 1ct. etc.
I didn''t know if it would be possible to find a casting ready to go w/ a space for a .35 stone...

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 10:42:20 PM
Author:dtnyc

Here are bezel set earrings with millegrain...these happen to be antiques, but I suspect it wouldn''t be hard to get something similar if you like the look:

tw 08hPlat.jpg

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 9:35:17 PM
Author: widget
Date:

Here are bezel set earrings with millegrain...these happen to be antiques, but I suspect it wouldn''t be hard to get something similar if you like the look:
Widget those are exactly along the lines of what I was thinking- I couldn''t find pics of anything like that anywhere!
I am going to print them out and call DBL next week to see when I could swing by.
Do you think they could do something like that?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
widget- also- can I ask what size stones those are?
they are lovely!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, dtnyc! I''m not even sure their exact size...isn''t that shocking? I got them years ago before I paid any attention to ''details''.

They''re pretty big...my guess: 3cttw...maybe a bit more...

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 9:56:08 PM
Author: dtnyc

I am going to print them out and call DBL next week to see when I could swing by.
I don''t see why not...isn''t it no big deal to add millegrain to standard mountings?

Here''s a pic of mine from the side. Cool I think, sort of ''martini-ish'', but something like this probably would have to be custom made:

00hbu704.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 10:21:04 PM

Date: 1/5/2007 9:56:08 PM

I don''t see why not...isn''t it no big deal to add millegrain to standard mountings?

Here''s a pic of mine from the side. Cool I think, sort of ''martini-ish'', but something like this probably would have to be custom made:
widget, those ARE really cool! But, I can''t believe you don''t know how big they are.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!
They are BIG- I love them... I like big- I know cut is king, but I really like big stones.

I love the backs of them- sigh.. I feel like this earring project is going to be much more difficult and more expensive than my necklace recycling project!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Widget I am so glad you posted those! I love them *swoon* Did you ever post ear shots?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen both. I had studs with a milgrained and rope halo, and loved them but they were yellow gold. I also just saw a mouting with a halo of tiny diamonds, with a tiny airline between the center stone and the halo. STUNNING. My local jeweler had them. I also love those sort of hanging ones that someone posted from Leon, sort of a stud that dangles...love the look of those too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Off topic (love widgets earrings) ... what casting catalog company did you go with and do they have a website?
Date: 1/5/2007 9:22:16 PM

I looked at the adwar catalogs online for ideas for my pendant setting and ended up going w/ one from another casting catalog company. One thing I noticed about the catalogs is that they tend to have spaces for the main stone to be either .25, .5, .75 or 1ct. etc.
I didn''t know if it would be possible to find a casting ready to go w/ a space for a .35 stone...

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy- this is SO bad, but I don''t know what casting company the setting came from!
I had a couple parameters for my halo pendant- I wanted it to have milgrain w/o having a ton of filigree work and I didn''t want there to be a lot of metal showing- do you know how some halo bezels in pendants can almost look like they are a circle of channel set stones around the main stone? I wanted to avoid that. The halo stones in my pendant almost seem to "bump" out around the perimeter.
I found a couple in the adwar catalogs I liked, but my jeweler didn''t have adwar and has a slow dial-up connection.

I could probably ask him next time I am down visiting my parents (next weekend maybe) which catalog the setting came from.

I love this little B&M, but I since I have to buy a stone for this project I think I will probably get a better deal either online or here in NYC.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 10:21:04 PM

Widge, those are BEEEEEEEEEEE-uuuuuuuuu-tiful! WOW! LOVE the detailing on the profile view.

jayrenay9

Brilliant_Rock
I am like Al Gore- I just love to recycle!
Since I had a family stone put into a solitaire pendant I have now turned my beady little eyes onto the stone that is my 18K YG solitaire necklace, (19th b-day gift.) I had the jeweler who did the setting for my pendant size-up the stone for me and he estimated it was 0.35 ct and pronounced it a ''nice stone.''
I know the stone I have is most likely nowhere near an ideal cut- but it will have to work for now and I don''t think it will be tough to find a match for it after I get it more thoroughly evaluated.
I am thinking I would like some settings that will dress them up a bit and give the earrings some more size and more oomph.
I know bezels give the earrings more size, but they are are so modern looking and my pendant and rings aren''t modern- also for some reason plain bezels seem casual to me.

2) studs with small halos around them?

I have done a lot of searches and haven''t found much-
I don''t want the earrings to be too matchy-matchy to my pendant, but I really don''t care about them being too dressy or flashy as I do have more casual earrings (v. small yg bezel set studs that aren''t great quality, pearls, etc.)

All I have been able to find halo-wise are jackets like these:

I LOVE those jackets! Where did you find them?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2007 12:13:35 AM

I had a couple parameters for my halo pendant- I wanted it to have milgrain w/o having a ton of filigree work and I didn''t want there to be a lot of metal showing- do you know how some halo bezels in pendants can almost look like they are a circle of channel set stones around the main stone? I wanted to avoid that. The halo stones in my pendant almost seem to ''bump'' out around the perimeter. .
You may want to consider a prong-set halo instead of a bezel/milligrain halo, then.

You can see what I mean here.....the top one is prong-set and has a much less ''defined'' look to it than the bezel does....

....another view....the one on the left (bezel) may more resemble the ''channel'' look that you''re trying to avoid, where the prong-set on the right ....not so much.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2007 12:19:35 AM
Author: jayrenay9

I LOVE those jackets! Where did you find them?
www.hlgross.com - they are on that site somewhere... it''s a jewelry store in the town my husband grew up in. I discovered their website around the same time I found PS.
We went there to try on wedding bands and I was really not impressed, but their website has good ideas sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.