shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some opinions on this spinel, in this ring

kt

Shiny_Rock
I'm now looking for a stone to specifically go in this setting. I was really thinking that a paler stone would work - I didn't want something to contrast greatly with the white metal (14k unplated white gold). A jewelery I've used in the past (who has their own cutters in India and has sourced stones for me when I was taking a jewelry class) sent me this spinel - it's pale lavender blue, cushion cut, unheated, 7.05 x 7.38mm, 2.11 carats. I love it - the color is so delicate and fresh.

I should also add the bezel + milgrain is about 1.5mm...so when you take that into account, the width of the ring would be about 1cm, and I wear a size 5+.

Would love your thoughts - size, color, quality of the stone and how you think it would look in the ring! TIA!!

danielm example.jpg

cush_blue_spinel[1].jpg

cushion_blue_spinel_2[1].jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which photo of the color is more accurate, or are they both accurate based on some sort of color shift?

kt

Shiny_Rock
I'm told that it's definitely a lavender-blue shade (more lavender than blue).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kt|1309381215|2958316 said:
I'm told that it's definitely a lavender-blue shade (more lavender than blue).

ooooh, so you haven't seen it in person yet. I don't think you'll be able to make a true evaluation until you see it in person as some lavender spinels can go very grey in certain lighting. You may or may not want that. That being said, the tone of the stone is light enough to go in the more enclosed setting, and it doesn't look like it will go extinct.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
kt ~

I agree with TL, that you need to see it in-hand, in various lighting to know for certain. Even then, the spinel will behave differently when set. My concern is that it will 'disappear' in the setting. I know you don't want high contrast but do you want virtually no contrast at all then?

~ faegrace

kt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys! ugh, actually, I just showed a friend this and she pointed out that all my rings are running in the blue family (she's right...i guess i'm a creature of habit!) so I'm rethinking this and I might be now headed back in the pink direction. If I do that, I found a cushion pink sapphire that might do the trick so i'm going to order that to see how it looks in hand before moving forward. It's finding that balance between light enough so it complements the setting, but not so much that it "fades out", as faegrace was good enough to point out. MUCH harder than I thought this was going to be! I'm still looking at pink spinels, too.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
kt ~

Isn't it funny how we can be repeatedly drawn to the same, or at least similar, colors? Or go through phases of color in our lives? (I am still completely missing yellow from my collection.)

My two cents is that a soft light/medium pink spinel, on the cooler side, would really shine in this setting. Rich enough to make an impact but not overpowering pink. If that interests you, finding a very well saturated lighter pink could be a bit of a challenge but I bet lots of skilled gem hunters 'round here would be happy to help! Actually, whatever you're after falls into that category. Best of luck and let us know! It really is a beautiful setting.

~ faegrace

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
That setting is one of my favorites that I've seen on PS. It is truly gorgeous!
I'm really excited for you to find the right baby to put in it :)

kt

Shiny_Rock
Well, I suppose I should think myself as fortunate that I only gravitate to a few colors - or else my bank account would REALLY be in trouble!!!! For example, I do LOVE how tsavorites, mint merelani's etc. look, but I just don't know if I could pull it off wearing green since I don't own anything in that color...same thing goes for yellow (I think it's from the fact that i've always shied away from yellow tones be/c i'm Asian and it tends to make me look more sallow!)

Having said that, I used to never like pink...until I had my baby girl two years ago. Now i'm embracing it and adding it to my wardrobe! :bigsmile: For this particular project, I just called one of our vendors here to have him look for a 6-7mm, pink and/or lavender light/medium toned stone in either sapphire or spinel. We'll see where we net out...ideally I want the whole package to look fairly "vintage" and i think that will be from a combo of both the setting style, the cut of stone, and the color. Can't wait to see how this nets out! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results