shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some expert advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dazed&confused

Rough_Rock
I am a newbie to this WONDERFUL site and the confusing world of Diamond buying. This stone will be for an E ring, so I want to get it right. My basic question is whether the .07 carat weight difference between these two diamonds is worth staying at a SI1 rather than going to a VS2? The SI1 report indicates that there is a crystal inclusion which could probably be covered by a prong and another pinpoint to the side of the table. The comments section says that additional clouds are not shown. On a seperate note, without the aid of an idealscope or other viewer can one tell the difference between an H&A and any other ideal cut diamond?

Diamond B $6,348
GIA report
Carat weight: 1.01
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 62.0%
Table %: 57%
Crown: 34.0°
Pavilion: 41.0°
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.39x6.42x3.97 mm

Diamond C $6,289
AGS Report
Carat weight: 1.08
Clarity: SI1
Depth %: 61.0%
Table %: 56%
Crown: 34.3°
Pavilion 40.6°
Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.62x6.67x4.04 mm

diamondgirlNY

Rough_Rock
Hi there dazed and confused...

I believe that both stones seem within the definition of the "ideal cut" ... personally, if I could afford the VS2 I would go for that, simply cause clarity is a deciding factor as far as long term value...it is easier to "resell" or trade up with a vs2 rather than an si1...as far as difference in caratage, 0.07ct is a weight value, if there was a considerable difference in mm measurements on the stone, there would be some sacrifice for the overall light return and quality of light....but, the way it seems to be measuring up, I don''t think there would be a significant difference in the overall look of the stone. Obviously this is an extremely important decision that you are making, and I understand the stress involved in making such a decision...at the end of the day, you have to feel right about it. If a "ogi machine or a Sarin machine" is available to the jeweller who is selling you the diamonds, ask them if they could provide you a sarin report...this helps in "assimilating" or comparing apples to apples....AGS is a sister/branch off of GIA founded all by Robert Shipley...way back when...AGS provides color and Clarity as well, but they are known in the trade mainly for the "CUT" value ...000 "triple zero" is supposedly within the mathematical "Tolkowsky Ideal Cut"... GIA only got on that same band wagon recently, but with the Sarin Machine, one can easily evaluate the GIA stone to surmise the "CUT" of the stone...

Good Luck to you.
34.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
If the SI1 is eyeclean, there''s no reason not to IMHO. I have one that is almost loupe clean.
31.gif
Save the money. I also like the depth better on the second stone. It''s facing up a bit larger for a reason. Carat is weight. MM is size that you can see. Is there going to be a visible difference between the two sizes? Have you seen them side by side? Could you tell? If not, no big. Good look deciding. They both look like nice diamonds.

shay

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have serious doubts about the measurements of the first stone. At first sight, they do not seem to add up.

Live long,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2006 4:42:45 PM
Author:dazed&confused

My basic question is whether the .07 carat weight difference between these two diamonds is worth staying at a SI1 rather than going to a VS2?

It seems more useful to look at diameter for size - between these two, it happens that the ''heavier'' diamond is also less deep cut, and I suspect that depth rather than the minute weight difference accounts for the slightly larger size. Wouldn''t count .2mm as terribly important. IMO at least.

Honestly, the difference between VS2 and SI1.. when both are truly eye clean stones, is not much more significant.

On a separate note, without the aid of an idealscope or other viewer can one tell the difference between an H&A and any other ideal cut diamond?

Depends on what the ''other'' looks like. H&A is a matter of optical symmetry - and ''ideal proportions'' do not imply any degree of it. Some non-H&A show a rather obvious pattern face up (those arrows), some come far from that.

Diamond B $6,348
GIA report
Carat weight: 1.01
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 62.0%
Table %: 57%
Crown: 34.0°
Pavilion: 41.0°

The integer numbers for the angles look a bit odd, and I also have trouble adding up crown height, pavilion depth and girdle width to the total depth as indicated for this stone. It could be that the crown and pavilion angles where either ''guesstimates'' or roughly rounded. Sure enough, there could be a stone just like that - only not too likely. If they would add up, the combination of table and angles is not ''bad'' in any way. (try the ''Cut Adviser'' on top of the page if not done already).

Diamond C $6,289
AGS Report
Carat weight: 1.08

Is this H&A? Since you mention... Not all AGS0s are so.
My (nexpert) 2c

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw, speaking of SI1 - how does E-Si1 sound? 6.6mm is ''textbook'' size for 1 carat - no excuses there either. There is another of the sort where this one comes from - slightly below 6k.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results