shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Buckshot

Rough_Rock
Hi guys (and girls). I''ve been reading this forum from time to time for a while (as well as other places on the net), trying to educate myself as much as possible on purchasing a diamond/engamentment ring. I was hoping to get some advice from you guys on what i should be looking for in a loose diamond. Here is what I had in mind. I''m looking for a princess cut diamond. Around 1 Carat. I was looking between F and H color, and between VS1 and SI2 clarity. I have read that cut is the most important as far as how the diamond looks, so i''m looking for as good of a cut as I can get. I''m not looking to spend more than $5k, but can if I need to. Any suggestions on what to look for? Im pretty good at looking for the basic parameters, but when it comes to Table %, and Depth, etc....i''m kind of lost. I''ve looked at the vendors on this site some (Whiteflash, GOG, James Allen, etc...) as well as Union Diamond, and Blue Nile. All seem to be similar in price, though one might be higher on one diamond, and one on another, but it''s the details i''m not sure about. So again I ask. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, i''m all ears (or eyes as it were). Thanks in advance.
1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would look for a diamond graded by AGS with the princess cut. I know WF carries princess AGS 000s. I would definitely check them out.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I would take the easy way out and go with one of Whiteflash.com''s "A Cut Above" princesses. All of these are extremely well cut and I don''t think you can go wrong with one. I''ve seen a few on here and they''re beautiful. I did a quick search on Whiteflash.com and there are plenty of 1 caraters right around $5000 and fitting your color/clarity requirements. The price should also be a little less than what''s listed with the Pricescope/wire transfer discount. And I would also make sure that any SI1 or SI2 diamond is eyeclean.

Buckshot

Rough_Rock
So from the two responses I''ve gotten it seems like Whiteflash, and a AGS certified Diamond would be the way to go. How do you check if an SI1 or SI2 is eye clean? is that something you can ask? or can you see it? I guess my question would be how do you define eye clean?

Also, if anyone else has any suggestions on specs for a diamond, i''m definitely interested to hear what you have to say. The only things I know I want, is a princess cut..around 1 carat, cut very well, and somewhere around $5K, though I could go up to $6K if need be.

Thanks in advance.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 7:59:24 PM
Author: Buckshot
So from the two responses I''ve gotten it seems like Whiteflash, and a AGS certified Diamond would be the way to go. How do you check if an SI1 or SI2 is eye clean? is that something you can ask? or can you see it? I guess my question would be how do you define eye clean?

Also, if anyone else has any suggestions on specs for a diamond, i''m definitely interested to hear what you have to say. The only things I know I want, is a princess cut..around 1 carat, cut very well, and somewhere around $5K, though I could go up to $6K if need be.

Thanks in advance.
You can ask if its eyeclean but make sure you ask what their definition of eye clean is.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 7:59:24 PM
Author: Buckshot

Thanks in advance.
Hi Buckshot,

I also echo WF''s ACA Princess, it is the safest way. As for eyeclean, you have someone there look at it for you. They have a definition on their site as to what they determine eyeclean. If you don''t want to see anything from any angle at any distance, then let them know that.

I think the range you picked is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results