shape
carat
color
clarity

Need setting advice - low profile ring for 2.5ct stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lp_mojo

Rough_Rock
I am trying to find an engagement setting for a 2.58ct, VS2, J, round brilliant. The challenge is that this is for someone who works in a research lab and often wears medical gloves. I don''t want her to have to take the ring off at work, so I need to choose a setting where the diamond is either somewhat recessed in a wider band, or has some build up on either side. I was looking at something like the Etoile setting at the link below as a recessed option, but am also considering something like the Lucida which has just enough on either side.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffanys-etoile.16414/

Problem is either of these might not work with a 2.58ct stone, and I can''t find any examples I like of a setting for a stone of that size that meets these needs. I typically see "for up to 2ct" listed on the Etoile, but I am okay with the diamond sticking out on the sides rather than try and make the band wider. It just can''t stick way up away from the ring so as to puncture a glove.

She actually prefers gold (perhaps because she is european) so I am okay with the J color. I prefer platinum, but then I won''t be wearing it, so gold it is. :)

Does anyone have any recommendations on settings I should look at for this somewhat unique situation?

Plan B is not to use this diamond and go with a smaller center stone and side stones, or three identical smaller stones, but that would be far more expensive as I am able to get this diamond at significantly below market value. Plan C is to put this diamond on a simple raised prong setting to do the deed, and then work with her on a permanent setting.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-LP

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
There have been threads about this before, and if I remember correctly, many of the women who wear gloves for their work recommended bezel settings. That way there isn''t a sharp prong to catch and poke through the glove. Others wear their ring on a chain around their neck when they have to wear gloves.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Yes the diamond should be set low low, but more important than height alone is that the prongs, etc. are smooth and not pointy or catchy.

Unless you know more about what she would want stylistically, you might go with Plan C.

If you know she likes wide bands and a more clean look, I do actually like the WF half-bezel. They also make versions with pave on the band: Champagne would be *lovely* in yellow gold with brushed finish and a regular version like this new lovely that is a semibezel with hidden jump ring and a more normal width band.

You might also consider something like a Leon. He sets stones low, and I'm sure he could make something gorgeous and appropriate. I would also trust him to make smooth, well-fitting prongs. Depends on your girl's taste, and how many times she takes gloves on/off a day. It might be she wears a band to work and leaves the rock for other outings.
2.gif

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
You can have a look at my thread for my e-ring. It is a low profile ring that doesn''t snag as much as higher profile ones. It''s a basket setting that lowers into the band.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Plan C (the temp setting plan) is good. I think it'd be a shame to spend more for a smaller stone! I wear a larger stone than that, and I'm surprised how easy it is to squeeze under gloves. (I occasionally wear latex gloves for making mineral makeup- micronized titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide is a raging pain to get off your skin: thus, gloves). It doesn't snag on the gloves, nor is it uncomfortable. My stone is very low set, prongs with a halo. Surprisingly comfy and wearer-friendly- the halo protects the stone very well, if I whack it into things, and it doesn't stick off my finger very far, really.

Basically, I'm saying that I think you should set it however she wants; latex gloves not a huge issue with a stone, as long as it's a lower type setting with smooth prongs. Probably a bezel would be the *most* practical, but if she isn't into one, then she should be OK doing something else.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

lp_mojo

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for all the replies so far, keep ''em coming! - really love your Sholdt, Elle, plus it accommodates the width without a wide band. Didn''t even know too much about basket settings, thanks for that Daisi, and Cara, I do like the WF bezel designs as well. As suggested, I''ll also search the forums for similar "situations."

Plan C is definitely an option on the table - I think I know her tastes, and I have some input to go on, but those were on designs for slightly smaller stones. I''ll only go with Plan A if I am positive it''s something she''ll love (kind of "I''ll know it when I see it"), and I am wishing I had talked to her about bezels way back when we had those "half joking" ring conversations where I then snuck away and wrote down what she said. Plan B is probably less and less of an option the more I consider it.

-LP

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
i vote bezel or tension set!

either way are without prongs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results