shape
carat
color
clarity

Need recommendations for a crock pot!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I think this is the one that we have... and its only $25.00! Its large enough to cook a ham or roast or whatever. I''ve used it quite a bit for the past 4 or so years and its held up really well. It also has a removable insert so its easy to clean. And don''t pay attention to the reviews on Target''s webpage... most of them sound like it was a user problem instead of product problem lol.

link

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Do any of you have issues with crock pots and your pets? I want to get one, but my cats are smart, and I am worried they will get into it
6.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
My cat has never jumped on the counter so luckily we don''t have that problem! I''m not sure what you could do...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 11:00:28 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Do any of you have issues with crock pots and your pets? I want to get one, but my cats are smart, and I am worried they will get into it
6.gif
We''ve never had an issue. We have three feisty little boys and they''ve never gotten into our crock pot. And they get into everything!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That is what I thought. My burmese is relentless when it comes to food. I would have to put a physical barrier between the crock pot and the cat.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 12:57:30 AM
Author: TravelingGal
So MC, which one did you end up getting?

I bit the bullet today at Costco and got a Rival. I brought it up and started checking reviews as well as looking up old PS threads and realized it is the exact one Mara got. It got good ratings as a best buy/value in a lot of consumer site reviews, but reviews are very mixed on Amazon. The Hamilton Set and Forget gets great reviews and is only about 5 bucks more than the one I got at Costco, so I''m debating on returning this one.

Anyway, FYI, Costco has it for 39.99 plus a small bonus little dipper warmer.
I''m a dork. I still haven''t purchased one and SO regreted it yesterday. I wanted to cook a roast and couldn''t because of the time it would take.

When I do get one (within the next week or two) I''ll post the final choice. Costco probably does have great deals but I''ve boycotted them because I do not like the idea that I have to PAY just to shop there. Screw that! lol

(oh, I told my husband about this thread and told him I''m planning to get one and he said he''d get me one for my *birthday*. Can you imagine THAT? GRRR. . .Better be plated in gold!)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2009 12:03:35 PM
Author: MC

I bit the bullet today at Costco and got a Rival. I brought it up and started checking reviews as well as looking up old PS threads and realized it is the exact one Mara got. It got good ratings as a best buy/value in a lot of consumer site reviews, but reviews are very mixed on Amazon. The Hamilton Set and Forget gets great reviews and is only about 5 bucks more than the one I got at Costco, so I''m debating on returning this one.

I''m a dork. I still haven''t purchased one and SO regreted it yesterday. I wanted to cook a roast and couldn''t because of the time it would take.

When I do get one (within the next week or two) I''ll post the final choice. Costco probably does have great deals but I''ve boycotted them because I do not like the idea that I have to PAY just to shop there. Screw that! lol

(oh, I told my husband about this thread and told him I''m planning to get one and he said he''d get me one for my *birthday*. Can you imagine THAT? GRRR. . .Better be plated in gold!)
LOL MC, men are funny.

Re: Costco, I have the executive membership that pays 2% back. We buy so dang much, that the membership pays for itself and gives us extra.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2009 12:15:10 PM

Date: 11/6/2009 12:03:35 PM
Author: MC

I bit the bullet today at Costco and got a Rival. I brought it up and started checking reviews as well as looking up old PS threads and realized it is the exact one Mara got. It got good ratings as a best buy/value in a lot of consumer site reviews, but reviews are very mixed on Amazon. The Hamilton Set and Forget gets great reviews and is only about 5 bucks more than the one I got at Costco, so I'm debating on returning this one.

I'm a dork. I still haven't purchased one and SO regreted it yesterday. I wanted to cook a roast and couldn't because of the time it would take.

When I do get one (within the next week or two) I'll post the final choice. Costco probably does have great deals but I've boycotted them because I do not like the idea that I have to PAY just to shop there. Screw that! lol

(oh, I told my husband about this thread and told him I'm planning to get one and he said he'd get me one for my *birthday*. Can you imagine THAT? GRRR. . .Better be plated in gold!)
LOL MC, men are funny.

Re: Costco, I have the executive membership that pays 2% back. We buy so dang much, that the membership pays for itself and gives us extra.
We also had the executive membership for a number of years. One time while shopping there, we decided to get seconds on all samples and after getting judgemental looks from the samples ladies, we explained we were executive members and therefore paid extra and should get more samples.
3.gif

About four months back, a post card arrived in the mail (addressed to me) stating there is some sort of class-action lawsuit against Costco regarding how they handle membership fees.

I just did a quick google, and this was the first that popped up. . .

http://addictedtocostco.com/2009/05/15/costco-membership-renewal-lawsuit-settlement/

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Costco membership pays for itself in the first month you shop there. Maybe even on the first shopping trip. I couldn''t live without it....well, because my occupation brings me into their world, I couldn''t avoid them anyway.

Heck, just the toilet paper and paper towel savings alone pay for the membership. I don''t think I''ve bought any other paper product in the last decade.

Love, love, love Costco...and the sample ladies. Be nice to them, some people treat them like slaves and have actually spit on them for not having a sample available. Who does this to a 75-yr old lady?? Really?? Are we that barbaric?

It''s okay to take more than one sample at a time. It''s the customers who grab everything off the tray that get the stink eye.
27.gif

Camille

Shiny_Rock
+1
31.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, I tried a pot roast in the reg. oven and it turned out terrible and chewy. My kids even refused to eat it. Now that I think about it, they may not have had anything more than apple sauce for dinner because after the roast and potatoes I made, I was done for the day.

Dh ate the roast, but he had worked 11 hours at work and was too tired to complain.

Okay. . .gotta pick one out.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC, I just got the Hamilton one delivered to me. If you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near you, go check out the Hamilton Set N Forget (model 33967). If they don''t have it in the store (which they probably won''t), they can order it for you and waive the shipping charge and you can use a 20% off coupon. That will make it cheaper than Amazon, which is currently at $48 and some change.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 12:52:40 PM
MC, I just got the Hamilton one delivered to me. If you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near you, go check out the Hamilton Set N Forget (model 33967). If they don''t have it in the store (which they probably won''t), they can order it for you and waive the shipping charge and you can use a 20% off coupon. That will make it cheaper than Amazon, which is currently at $48 and some change.
Okay, will do. There''s one nearby. . .I''ve got to get my act together and show that I''m a good (not bored) housewife or the B&M sales people will use me as an example of why internet users are not good references.

Aka: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-you-a-bored-housewife.129369/

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, we used ours tonight and I found an easy recipe on PS. I found it on the crockpot recipes thread. It just seemed like a great cheater/starter recipe and it is:

Barbeque Pulled Pork:
3 lbs. pork roast/rump/shoulder, trimmed of all fat and cubed into 1 inch chunks
1 jar favorite barbeque sauce (we love Open Pit)
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c. honey
-Throw all into crock pot, and cook on low for about 7 hours.

I actually did find the open pit bbq sauce and it turned out really well. The Hamilton had a temperature probe so at first I used that, but the pork got to temperature in 3.5 hours. I checked it (which I know I shouldn''t do) and while it was done, it was tough. I realized that when cooking regularly, too high a temp means tough, dry meat, but that in crock pot cooking, you just want that food to sit in there and break down. So I took the temp probe out, and let it sit on low for another 3 hours. Came out pretty good for a beginner''s try. We had it with rolls and slaw.

TGuy is very excited about the crockpot and is looking up all sorts of recipes. I lurked on the first crockpot thread in 2005, and started my own last year. I can''t believe it took me 4 years to finally get around to this (but in all fairness, we just didn''t have room for it in the old apartment!)

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
For those with crockpots, one of the most challenging things to me so far has been to locate recipes that are actually FLAVORFUL.

This one was a HUGE score, and super easy for the new crockpot owners, so I thought I''d put it out there. It smells AMAZING while cooking; my parents came for dinner one night and arrived 3 hours before we got home from work. I barely had my coat off before my mom said, "ok, how long before dinner? That divine SMELL has whipped me into a frenzy of hunger!"

Chicken in Riesling with Grapes

1/4 cup chopped shallots
1 clove garlic -- minced (or equalivant from jar of minced garlic)
6 ounces mushrooms -- sliced (I usually just use the whole 8 oz. package of sliced shrooms)
1/4 teaspoon dry tarragon
1 chicken -- quartered (I use 4-6 boneless breasts instead)
ground white pepper
1/2 cup Riesling or other dry white wine
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup seedless green grapes (optional; they add a lot but the kids may not go for it)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt

In a 4 quart or large crockpot, combine shallots, garlic, mushrooms, and tarragon. Rinse chicken and pat dry; then arrange, overlapping pieces slightly, on top of mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with white pepper; pour in wine. Cover and cook at low setting until meat near thighbone is very tender when pierced (6-7+hrs). Carefully lift chicken to a warm platter and keep warm. (If using whole chicken pieces, skim and discard fat from cooking liquid. )

In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cream, blend into cooking liquid. Increase cooker heat setting to high; cover and cook stirring 2 or 3 times, until sauce is thickened, about 10 more minutes. Stir in grapes and then season to taste with lemon juice and salt. Cover and cook for 3-5 more minutes.

To serve: spoon sauce over chicken.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC, Costco has those crockpots $10 off right now. hehe
2.gif

Oh Alj, that sounds wonderful, I love shallots and the other ingredients sounds fab too! YUM, I am so going to make that!!!
36.gif

EricaR told me about this crock pot recipe and I made it and it was SUPER YUMMY!!!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Slow-Cooker-French-Dip/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
4 pounds rump roast (I used chuck roast instead)
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup (this is a must)
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer (I used Guinness)
6 French rolls
2 tablespoons butter

Directions
1.Trim excess fat from the rump roast, and place in a slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup and beer. Cook on Low setting for 7 hours. (I did NOT trim the fat, you want the fat because it gives it flavor and then it is dry if there is no fat).
2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3.Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake 10 minutes, or until heated through.
4.Slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls. Serve the sauce for dipping.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those recipes look great, thanks ladies!

For those of you interested in the Hamilton Set n Forget, it is now 39.99 on Amazon! It was 49.99 last week!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 4:40:43 PM
Author: Skippy123
MC, Costco has those crockpots $10 off right now. hehe
2.gif

Oh Alj, that sounds wonderful, I love shallots and the other ingredients sounds fab too! YUM, I am so going to make that!!!
36.gif

EricaR told me about this crock pot recipe and I made it and it was SUPER YUMMY!!!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Slow-Cooker-French-Dip/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
4 pounds rump roast (I used chuck roast instead)
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup (this is a must)
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer (I used Guinness)
6 French rolls
2 tablespoons butter

Directions
1.Trim excess fat from the rump roast, and place in a slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup and beer. Cook on Low setting for 7 hours. (I did NOT trim the fat, you want the fat because it gives it flavor and then it is dry if there is no fat).
2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3.Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake 10 minutes, or until heated through.
4.Slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls. Serve the sauce for dipping.
Skippy, this is in the pot for dinner tonight, yum!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, wow was that ever good! REALLY REALLY good. TGuy said it was the best french dip sandwich he's ever had.

I read the reviews on the link skippy posted and some people said it was bland. I think it's because they used campbell's condensed stuff and then added the can of water. 2 cans of water would have REALLY diluted this dish. I added no additional water and it turned out great. Here's what I did...

Ingredients
3.5 lb Chuck Roast
McCormick's Montreal's steak seasoning (I think this is key too)
1 (10.5 ounce) can campbell's condensed beef consomme (do not add water!)
1 (10.5 ounce) can campbell's condensed French onion soup (again, no water!)
1 Guinness extra stout - I used 1/2 of a large bottle (pint bottle, so I used 1/2 pint)
A few splashes of Worcestershire sauce (about 5 splashes from the bottle)
A few cloves (4-5) smashed cloves of garlic
Provolone cheese

6 French rolls
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
Garlic bread seasoning (I used Johnny's Garlic seasoning which I bought at Costco).

Directions
1.Lightly season both sides of chuck with steak seasoning. Place chuck roast in slow cooker (I did not trim fat, per skippy's suggestion). Add the beef consumme, onion soup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and beer. Cook on Low setting for 6 hours
2. After 6 hours, slice beef and return to au jus for another hour or two (this step is KEY and what made the difference in yummy, tender beef.)
3.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. Mix room temp butter with your favorite garlic seasoning.
5. Split French rolls, and spread with garlic butter. Bake 8 minutes
6. Add provolone cheese to one half of each roll and bake another 2-3 minutes
7. Serve up the meat on rolls. Serve the sauce for dipping.

Some reviewers said they could not slice the beef...it was more like shredded pot roast. With what I did above, I had no problems slicing the beef.

18.gif
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 11:14:17 PM

OK, wow was that ever good! REALLY REALLY good. TGuy said it was the best french dip sandwich he's ever had.

I read the reviews on the link skippy posted and some people said it was bland. I think it's because they used campbell's condensed stuff and then added the can of water. 2 cans of water would have REALLY diluted this dish. I added no additional water and it turned out great. Here's what I did...

Ingredients
3.5 lb Chuck Roast
McCormick's Montreal's steak seasoning (I think this is key too)
1 (10.5 ounce) can campbell's condensed beef consomme (do not add water!)
1 (10.5 ounce) can campbell's condensed French onion soup (again, no water!)
1 Guinness extra stout - I used 1/2 of a large bottle (pint bottle, so I used 1/2 pint)
A few splashes of Worcestershire sauce (about 5 splashes from the bottle)
A few cloves (4-5) smashed cloves of garlic
Provolone cheese

6 French rolls
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
Garlic bread seasoning (I used Johnny's Garlic seasoning which I bought at Costco).

Directions
1.Lightly season both sides of chuck with steak seasoning. Place chuck roast in slow cooker (I did not trim fat, per skippy's suggestion). Add the beef consumme, onion soup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and beer. Cook on Low setting for 6 hours
2. After 6 hours, slice beef and return to au jus for another hour or two (this step is KEY and what made the difference in yummy, tender beef.)
3.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. Mix room temp butter with your favorite garlic seasoning.
5. Split French rolls, and spread with garlic butter. Bake 8 minutes
6. Add provolone cheese to one half of each roll and bake another 2-3 minutes
7. Serve up the meat on rolls. Serve the sauce for dipping.

Some reviewers said they could not slice the beef...it was more like shredded pot roast. With what I did above, I had no problems slicing the beef.

18.gif
36.gif
It is GOOD huh!?!
3.gif
3.gif
9.gif
31.gif
Oh I did Not add water at all; I wonder why people would do that? weird, makes sense it would taste watery, ick. EricaR told me about this recipe and how yummy it was so after making it with great success I had to post it for us PS'ers!! Oh I sliced it too and let it marinade in the juices; you are right that is important!!!
9.gif
Glad TGuy loved it!!!
36.gif
eta: I did do Worcestershire sauce too, but a dash! I think I did it because Erica said it was good and it is!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 11:24:16 PM
Author: Skippy123
It is GOOD huh!?!
3.gif
3.gif
9.gif
31.gif
Oh I did Not add water at all; I wonder why people would do that? weird, makes sense it would taste watery, ick. EricaR told me about this recipe and how yummy it was so after making it with great success I had to post it for us PS''ers!! Oh I sliced it too and let it marinade in the juices; you are right that is important!!!
9.gif
Glad TGuy loved it!!!
36.gif
eta: I did do Worcestershire sauce too, but a dash! I think I did it because Erica said it was good and it is!
I think people add water because the recipe calls for beef broth. So if people buy the condensed, they figure they need to add water to make it correctly. Regular (non condensed) beef broth is nowhere near as salty. I think the directions are confusing that way. The only reason I didn''t add a regular can of beef broth (which is 14 oz) was because the recipe specifically called for 10.5 oz can, which I suspected was campbells.
One of the reviews said consomme worked better, so that is what I got.

I love McCormick''s montreal steak seasoning, so I think that helped too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results