shape
carat
color
clarity

Need (quick if possible!) opinions on two diamonds

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I am on the lookout for a round brilliant diamond around 0.7 ct, at least H colour (and VS2 or higher, or confirmed eye-clean). I currently am looking at two diamonds (I have both on hold, thus some "urgency" to my question).

One is from Whiteflash, it isn't ACA but I was informed that this was more of a "technicality" in that it doesn't have the AGS light performance report, and I do think it looks quite lovely:

The other is from James Allen, and while it isn't quite as perfect, I think it looks rather good and is priced considerably lower. I am also in the EU, so I have to pay 25% extra in import tax making any purchase pricier (haven't been able to find any equal diamond on Blue Nile, suggestions are welcome of course!): Idealscope1.jpg Idealscope2.jpg

James Allen didn't have an ASET unfortunately.

I am unsure of how big difference there will be between these diamonds, and if it is worth the difference in cost? Of course this is subjective, but any thoughts/help would be wonderful and most appreciated!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked WF if the F is eye-clean to your standards?

With the price difference and how nice the H is, I would personally pick the H.

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
Have you asked WF if the F is eye-clean to your standards?

With the price difference and how nice the H is, I would personally pick the H.

Thank you for your response, I have asked and they are checking to make sure.

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
The area that worries me slightly is the lighter red area in centre of the H - do you experts here think it could mean a noticably lower light return?

Whereas I of course don't mind saving money, I don't want to feel that I "compromised" too much either. This is a diamond that I plan on attaching to my (now plain gold) engagement ring, to wear with my wedding band, so it's hopefully a forever piece :) and thus this choice means a lot to me.
Any help would be very much appreciated, as I feel out of depth knowledgewise here...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the price difference? I can't see price on JA bc it says "unavailable"

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How familiar are you with diamonds? Seen many in person? Do you have cultural beliefs that value colorless stones? Have you seen F vs H color in person?

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
Price difference is approx $900 (when 25% import tax is added to both purchases).

I have some knowledge because of hanging around Pricescope :), but limited of course, purchased loose diamonds for studs after thorough reading here on optimal cut etc. My studs are (GIA) H. I am a bit colour sensitive but H should be fine, though I noticed I could see a tint in my brother's fiancées engament ring (ACA AGS graded H). That is set in platinum though, mine will be red gold.
That said, I am indeed attracted to ice as in whiteness, but also fire, and looking for both brlliance and major sparkle.
(And haven't seen or at least compared an F to an H). No real cultural preferences, and would like it eye-clean on the "cleaner side", so to speak :)
(Whiteflash just confirmed the F to be eye clean)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know exactly what your budget is for the diamond. However, since this is for your engagement/wedding ring that you plan to wear for many years, I would go for the best cut possible. This would eliminate any nagging fears like might it have been better?
I like this diamond with the G color and VS2 clarity. A nice, white diamond with no clarity concerns. Just not sure if it exceeds your budget though.

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
I have seen that and agree that is gorgeous, it does go over my budget though, due to both unfavourable currency exchange rates and import duties. The WF F I have been looking at is strecthing the budget a bit already, I was thinking that it was a "lot of cut" for the money though, so to speak.
(And thank you all SO much for taking the time to reply, am so grateful for this forum and the lovely members here!)

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen that and agree that is gorgeous, it does go over my budget though, due to both unfavourable currency exchange rates and import duties. The WF F I have been looking at is strecthing the budget a bit already, I was thinking that it was a "lot of cut" for the money though, so to speak.
(And thank you all SO much for taking the time to reply, am so grateful for this forum and the lovely members here!)

I would never encourage anyone to go beyond a budget they are comfortable with for any reason. The F diamond is nicely cut and I believe it would favor white brilliance a bit more than fire (though it will have a good mix of both!). In that respect, it seems to fit what you are looking for in a white diamond, and the budget will stretch that far. The H is very nice, but I get the sense that you are a bit color sensitive. For that reason, I would lean toward the F.

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your valuable thoughts, MissGotRocks!
I am indeed a bit colour sensitive, but my studs in H I am perfectly comfortable with (they are only 0.43 ct each though), and I do think the gold setting will help. I think if I was pressed I would actually favour fire a bit more than brilliance. But yeah, enjoy the ice of a diamond as well...arrgh! Ah well, if it was easy it wouldn't be as much fun I guess!
Do you see any concerns with the H stone, for instance the lighter red in the Ideal Scope?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
What’s your budget cap in US$?

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
Around $2900

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your valuable thoughts, MissGotRocks!
I am indeed a bit colour sensitive, but my studs in H I am perfectly comfortable with (they are only 0.43 ct each though), and I do think the gold setting will help. I think if I was pressed I would favour fire a bit more than brilliance. But yeah, enjoy the ice of a diamond as well... Ah, if it was easy it wouldn't be as much fun I guess!
Do you see any concerns with the H stone, for instance the lighter red in the Ideal Scope?

No big red flags to me in the H. Does this need to be a quick purchase or do you care to wait for more inventory?

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
No rush at all. It's just that I've been looking on and off for quite some time now, and the combination of liking both these diamonds and a feeling that timing (personally) was right set me further on the path to actually purchasing a diamond.
(The "urgency" is more related to having them on hold, for a limited time)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Either stone could meet your needs it comes down to personal preference and priorities. I don’t think there is an objectively right or wrong choice. Personally I’d try to get closer to a carat by dropping clarity and color but that’s me.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a look at these. Some of them are tilted in the video, so I would want to see an Ideal-Scope image.

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your suggestions, I will take a look!

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
I like the 0.84/H/VS2, and got the Ideal scopes for this one - what do you guys think? (reserved it too, price is $2860)

IS3.png is4.png

louisalee

Rough_Rock
Trade
If it were me, I'd lean towards the one with the better cut and sparkle, since that's what really makes the diamond stand out to the naked eye. Of course, everyone's preferences are different, so go with what catches your eye and fits your criteria best. Good luck with your choice!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 0.84/H/VS2, and got the Ideal scopes for this one - what do you guys think? (reserved it too, price is $2860)

IS3.png is4.png

I really like it. How are you feeling about it compared to the original options?

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I decided to go with the WF diamond. I found myself very drawn to the icy white, and those Ideal scopes and ASETs were hard to ignore. Michelle at WF was also very helpful. She assured me that this diamond has fire on par with an ACA, so in the end it was an easy choice.
I'm sure the others would have been great too, but I went to bed really happy and woke up (it's morning here) with the biggest smile and that warm feeling inside when you know you made the right choice .

A big THANK YOU to everyone here, you are incredibly helpful to random strangers in dire need. In these days of alienation and war, it's wonderful to experience the other side of humanity too!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I decided to go with the WF diamond. I found myself very drawn to the icy white, and those Ideal scopes and ASETs were hard to ignore. Michelle at WF was also very helpful. She assured me that this diamond has fire on par with an ACA, so in the end it was an easy choice.
I'm sure the others would have been great too, but I went to bed really happy and woke up (it's morning here) with the biggest smile and that warm feeling inside when you know you made the right choice .

A big THANK YOU to everyone here, you are incredibly helpful to random strangers in dire need. In these days of alienation and war, it's wonderful to experience the other side of humanity too!

You will love it!!! Please come back with pictures for us!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Wonderful choice! I hope you'll come back to share your thoughts after it arrives!

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
It has arrived, is icy white and sparkling, and I am very pleased (and slightly blinded after photoshooting it :lol:)!
Very difficult to capture the sparkle with my phone camera, attaching my attempt anyhow. Also tried to get a pic through the scope, couldn't quite center it though.

20240314_154541.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240313_214514_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_214514_Gallery.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 57

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has arrived, is icy white and sparkling, and I am very pleased (and slightly blinded after photoshooting it :lol:)!
Very difficult to capture the sparkle with my phone camera, attaching my attempt anyhow. Also tried to get a pic through the scope, couldn't quite center it though.

20240314_154541.jpg
Gorgeous! Is this the G, VS2 diamond?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock

20240314_154541.jpg

WOWIE that's a sparkle bomb!

Diamanta

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous! Is this the G, VS2 diamond?

Thanks, and also again for your help!
No, this is the (WF) F, VS2.
(Branded as Premium Select, not ACA, but "A pure technicality" according to the WF rep, in that it didn't have the AGS report. She also assured me that its fire was indistinguishable from an ACA. I can't really compare - but what I wanted was ice and fire, and that is what I got, in abundance!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results