shape
carat
color
clarity

Need PS Expert Opinion on Princess Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mernst21

Rough_Rock
Do you think, even with a 30 day return policy? Do you know if those return policies are legit?

I would definitely take it to an independent appriaser anyway, so would you think it is worth doing this at least?

I should be able to obtain idealscope images, etc. from an independent appraiser, right?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My opinion is that its the vendors job to provide enough information to make one comfortable with the sale.
The appraisers job is to appraise and advise not make the sale for the vendor.
For a large discount then I would consider paying the appraiser to do the vendors job of providing the information rather than just confirming it.

Compare the price to a stone from a vendor willing to give all the information and see if there is a savings and if it is enough to make it worth your hassle.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/16/2008 7:30:45 PM
Author: mernst21
Do you think, even with a 30 day return policy? Do you know if those return policies are legit?

I would definitely take it to an independent appriaser anyway, so would you think it is worth doing this at least?

I should be able to obtain idealscope images, etc. from an independent appraiser, right?
Yes, you can get IS, ASET and similar information from independent appraisers but do make sure that they know this is a service you are looking for when you hire them as the services offered will vary quite a bit from one appraiser to the next. Not all offer this service and rather few are prepared to offer everything.

There seems to be a failure to communicate here. I agree with the above that this whole deal is fishy and it surprises me a bit coming from UD. Your salesperson doesn’t seem to know what an idealscope is, doesn’t know how to give you what you want and is just bluffing rather than addressing the real question. He may or may not want to do it after he figures it out, and I certainly can understand that decision, but a simple Google search for the word 'idealscope' would quickly tell him what you're asking for. Since this apparently hasn’t happened, even after you complained about the first set of pics, I can only assume that he’s not really listening to the question.

His #1 basis for recommending this particular stone is that he has seen it and, in his expert opinion it’s beautiful. That’s a pretty good place to start. Really. This is something that’s missing from a significant number of internet offers but it underscores an important part of the puzzle. You are placing a fair amount of trust in the seller and you are assessing their credibility every bit as much as you are assessing the merits of the stone. The photos, lab reports and even the appraisal are support for the trust you are placing in the jeweler, not a substitute for it. If you’ve come to the conclusion that you don’t trust the salesman, move on. There’s lots of competition in this business and your life will be a lot easier if you can find one where you ARE communicating.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

mernst21

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great advice. I guess it would come down to if the price for the diamond is good and how much an independent appraiser would be. Any advice on this? The quote is $5600 and I have been searching and haven''t found anything really similar for that price. Also, do you know approximately how much an independent appraisal would be?

Thanks

mernst21

Rough_Rock
Well I contacted a few independent appraisers, from pricescope, and none of them provide idealscope or aset images. It seems like WF, GOG, and a couple other sites are the only ones that provide these. I thought these images were common?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results