Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I have been looking for a new wedding band and I am really not in a position to pay alot of money, so I have came across a used band that was purchased in 2002, it has a GGL cert, it is a 5 stone ring with a total carat weight of .75, 18K, now per the cert it states that the stones E-F in color and Internally Flawless
now the cert states that the polish symmerty is Good-Very Good, no other info is on the cert other then the appraised value, my question is first off is GGL somewhat of a realiable lab and if so the purchase price of this ring was around $700 would it be a good value? The diamond do look very pretty and sparkly, I think I want to get the ring and then have it appraised, but I cannot return the ring so once I buy it I am stuck with it....so what do you all think? I think I am in awe of the IF E-F on the cert

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 3:13:15 PM
Author:diamondrnglover
OK, I have been looking for a new wedding band and I am really not in a position to pay alot of money, so I have came across a used band that was purchased in 2002, it has a GGL cert, it is a 5 stone ring with a total carat weight of .75, 18K, now per the cert it states that the stones E-F in color and Internally Flawless
now the cert states that the polish symmerty is Good-Very Good, no other info is on the cert other then the appraised value, my question is first off is GGL somewhat of a realiable lab and if so the purchase price of this ring was around $700 would it be a good value? The diamond do look very pretty and sparkly, I think I want to get the ring and then have it appraised, but I cannot return the ring so once I buy it I am stuck with it....so what do you all think? I think I am in awe of the IF E-F on the cert
Hi there!

I am not very familiar with GGL, who is selling the ring?

GGL lab info - http://www.globalgemlab.com/

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well I am not familiar with GGL, but they do have a long list of well established clients on their website. The price seems good, and I would imagine you could pay less than the appraised value. The cert is probably wrong in its grades by GIA standards, but it can still be a good value anyway. It might also be prudent to good to have the piece checked out by an expert before you purchase, just to make sure its legit.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant have it checked out because it is on Ebay, the seller is 4 Sale in Winchester, I know I shouldnt look on buy from Ebay, but it seems like such a good deal, but then the old saying if its to good to be true then it is lol, so I am really on the fence on this, if I buy it I cant return it, I would get an independent appraisal after I got it, but I cant before hand, I just know that internally flawless diamonds are a rare thing and the price is awfully good, the appraised value on the cert is 2,400. I am not really sure I totally like the setting it is in, but if the diamonds are really what they say there are then I could always have them reset in the future.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 3:51:40 PM
Author: diamondrnglover
I cant have it checked out because it is on Ebay, the seller is 4 Sale in Winchester, I know I shouldnt look on buy from Ebay, but it seems like such a good deal, but then the old saying if its to good to be true then it is lol, so I am really on the fence on this, if I buy it I cant return it, I would get an independent appraisal after I got it, but I cant before hand, I just know that internally flawless diamonds are a rare thing and the price is awfully good, the appraised value on the cert is 2,400. I am not really sure I totally like the setting it is in, but if the diamonds are really what they say there are then I could always have them reset in the future.
Just a quick caution but you might know that these appraisal values are often inflated? If there is no return policy then personally I wouldn''t risk it.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Trust your gut then. Any reputable seller should have some sort of return policy. I would pass if you can''t get it checked out with the option of return.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yea I know the appraised value is always inflated, I appreciate both of your opinions, you are right, I think I was almost swayed, lol, I guess had it been for sale by a individual person I would understand the no return policy, but a company should have a return policy. Thank you both for you valued opinion, I think I might just pass on it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.