shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on this 5ct round brilliant

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
First time poster here. Just started looking for a stone. Did an online search to get a better sense of what my budget can get me and came across this 5ct stone that I put on hold. They aren't able to give me an IS/ASET right now, but the proportions fall within PS recommended parameters. Even though it is an SI2, it looks pretty clean. It has strong blue fluorescence, but it doesn't look cloudy to me. What do you all think? Does the SI2 or strong fluoro concern you?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6548521

Also... I'm a little nervous about making such a large purchase online... have read a couple recent posts about online vendors who end up not having the stone and then taking forever to process a return. I definitely do not want to deal with that. I haven't read anything negative about JA, but please let me know if you think I need to be cautious.

Reactions: AV_

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
Also, I was originally planning to only consider super ideal stones. But, I just happened to see this one while looking at how GIA triple ex prices compare and it seemed like a good find.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely wouldn't do with SI2 for such a large stone. And honestly given the budget of a large diamond, I would want the best quality/sparkle (even if that meant slightly smaller). If you want to make sure that your budget can fit a 5ct (vs slightly smaller), I would call ID Jewelry in NYC and tell them you want "pricescope quality" for X price.

What's your budget? What's your color tolerance?

mandyXL

Rough_Rock
I heard for a bigger stone the color shows more. I have a 1ct H color. I can tell it's not as white as some other people's. When look from sideways I can see some color. With a 5ct, you should see more. I feel conscious when going into a jewelry store. I think they can tell the quality right away.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard for a bigger stone the color shows more. I have a 1ct H color. I can tell it's not as white as some other people's. When look from sideways I can see some color. With a 5ct, you should see more. I feel conscious when going into a jewelry store. I think they can tell the quality right away.

It's important not to conflate "color" with "quality". They just aren't the same. A lower color stone isn't "lower quality" unless it's poorly cut. An H will look white in most circumstances, although not all. And some people have more color tolerance than others. There are people on this forum who can only have D-F color bc they notice and dislike anything below F. Then there's me who loves lower colors and bought a super ideal N because I love the color shifts and personality. It's all about your preferences (the person getting the ring, not the one buying). When ppl don't know the woman's preferences, we usually say to stick with H and above, since most ppl will think that looks plenty white.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@mandyXL I am stunned - angry as Hell that such a trivial nothing could make you uneasy... (the shameless stories I have to tell!)

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
First time poster here. Just started looking for a stone. Did an online search to get a better sense of what my budget can get me and came across this 5ct stone that I put on hold. They aren't able to give me an IS/ASET right now, but the proportions fall within PS recommended parameters. Even though it is an SI2, it looks pretty clean. It has strong blue fluorescence, but it doesn't look cloudy to me. What do you all think? Does the SI2 or strong fluoro concern you?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6548521

Also... I'm a little nervous about making such a large purchase online... have read a couple recent posts about online vendors who end up not having the stone and then taking forever to process a return. I definitely do not want to deal with that. I haven't read anything negative about JA, but please let me know if you think I need to be cautious.

I prefer a higher crown for the 40.6 pavilion than 34, and I see a bit of optical symmetry issue. I don't think the large stone will be eye-clean with the larger inclusion under the table. For such a high value purchase, I recommend you contact either @Rhino (Jonathan at August Vintage) who runs a diamond concierge service to help find great diamonds, or as advised earlier contact IDJ in order to afford a larger stone than getting limited by your budget for a smaller superideal.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
@mandyXL I am stunned - angry as Hell that such a trivial nothing could make you uneasy... (the shameless stories I have to tell!)
Unfortunately, color sensitivity isn't such a trivial matter for those affected by it.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@blueMA

The way you put it, it could be politics!

SPQR

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback.

I’m not color sensitive at all. I can’t tell the difference between an I color and G color. I also don’t need to go to 5ct. I was originally looking for something at least 10mm and happened to see this. BUT my opinion is that there is no such thing as too big :)

If I reach out to Jonathan or ID jewelry concierge services, would I be committed to buying a stone that they source? Would it be frowned upon to contact more than one vendor and see who can offer the best stone or should I just stick with one vendor only so I don’t waste multiple people’s time?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
If I reach out to Jonathan or ID jewelry concierge services, would I be committed to buying a stone that they source? Would it be frowned upon to contact more than one vendor and see who can offer the best stone or should I just stick with one vendor only so I don’t waste multiple people’s time?

No you're not obligated to buy, and you should feel free to discuss that you're looking into multiple routes for diamond sourcing.
That's what most people do anyhow for such costly purchase whether they disclose the information or not.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
The way you put it, it could be politics!
If you say so. But to some it's important enough to shell out extra 10K+ for color improvement, because they see the difference.

mandyXL

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, color sensitivity isn't such a trivial matter for those affected by it.
That's right. I don't have much experience with diamond. When reading all the discussion about numbers I feel lost. But I did notice the color difference, as soon as I received it.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@blueMA

I'd wear white all the time too ,) - teeth to toes.

Difference is nice; the ranking & the emotion of it - ought to be silly.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@DiamondsAndDior Apologies for digressing.

Obviously, I am cool about the I/SI2. The clarity of this diamond seems particularly lucky. Then, the proportions suggest that it is a particularly bright stone (see HCA score). The video shows a nice pattern. Thumbs up from me.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mandy, I am colour sensitive, and I do not like warmer coloured stones (it's like yellow gold to me - it looks beautiful on other people, but just does not work for me). And you are right in that there are value judgements around "quality" such that higher colour, higher clarity stones are typically seen to be of "better quality" in many places of the world and in many cultures (just not here on PS). By definition any luxury good is going to be judged by perceived quality - just like higher carat gold is considered to be of better quality than lower carat gold, even though it can look just as lovely. So I wouldn't call it silly that you can 1) see the tint, 2) don't like the tint, and 3) at times feel self conscious about it. Even though we can all tell you not to, it won't change the fact if you do (this is an issue much like weight and perceived attractiveness - what might not bother one person might bother another).

Larger stones do show colour more. You may want to look at some in person and decide where your threshold is.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I guess I'll be the odd one here by saying I think it looks great for an SI2 of that size. If you decrease the stone down to even over twice the actual size, it looks clean to my eyes. I like the 34/40.6 combo, which is what I have... in a 3.33 I/SI2. ;-)

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
it looks great for an SI2 of that size

I agree, and the fact that the stone doesn't have cloud helps its transparency.
For aging eyes or less-than-hawk eyes, the stone can be eye clean. : )
It all depends on the OP's expectation. If she's hoping for an optimal performance out of the stone, she may get disappointed but if she's looking for a decent large stone, it doesn't look bad at all.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'll be the odd one here by saying I think it looks great for an SI2 of that size. If you decrease the stone down to even over twice the actual size, it looks clean to my eyes. I like the 34/40.6 combo, which is what I have... in a 3.33 I/SI2. ;-)
Totally fair point, and your stone is lovely! I just worry overall about an SI2, espectislly from a drop shipping vendor. I wouldn't worry at all if it were SI2 from someone in house (DBL, IDJ sell amazing SI2s all the time).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, and the fact that the stone doesn't have cloud helps its transparency.
For aging eyes or less-than-hawk eyes, the stone can be eye clean. : )
It all depends on the OP's expectation. If she's hoping for an optimal performance out of the stone, she may get disappointed but if she's looking for a decent large stone, it doesn't look bad at all.

I'd say this stone is waaaaay more than decent. I think it would look great.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally fair point, and your stone is lovely! I just worry overall about an SI2, espectislly from a drop shipping vendor. I wouldn't worry at all if it were SI2 from someone in house (DBL, IDJ sell amazing SI2s all the time).

I mean... free returns and all. LOL ...and JA has video with like 10x (at least) magnification.

ETA: An absolute "NO" on an SI2 stone may be the safe thing to do, but as we've all seen, you can find some really good ones and get a lot of diamond for the money. I can understand if it's just numbers on paper or a single photo, but JA has great visuals and a generous return policy... so I don't see a downside to checking it out in person. I know I would've never dreamed to have a 9.8 mm diamond -- and I wouldn't have in a VS2... ever. I wouldn't have been able to swing it financially, nor would I want to after seeing what can be found in SI's. ;-)

Last edited:

mandyXL

Rough_Rock
Mandy, I am colour sensitive, and I do not like warmer coloured stones (it's like yellow gold to me - it looks beautiful on other people, but just does not work for me). And you are right in that there are value judgements around "quality" such that higher colour, higher clarity stones are typically seen to be of "better quality" in many places of the world and in many cultures (just not here on PS). By definition any luxury good is going to be judged by perceived quality - just like higher carat gold is considered to be of better quality than lower carat gold, even though it can look just as lovely. So I wouldn't call it silly that you can 1) see the tint, 2) don't like the tint, and 3) at times feel self conscious about it. Even though we can all tell you not to, it won't change the fact if you do (this is an issue much like weight and perceived attractiveness - what might not bother one person might bother another).

Larger stones do show colour more. You may want to look at some in person and decide where your threshold is.

Thank you for understanding. I didn't meant to offend anyone. I apologize if anyone felt that way.
I just want to give my opinion as a person who do not know much about diamond. The color is the first thing I notice.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, am I seeing that correctly? $54K?

That is a heck of a deal for a 5 carat eye-clean diamond. I concur with @msop04 and @blueMA regarding the clarity: It is beautiful for a SI2 of that size. All of the crystals are white/transparent, so I think this would have a pretty good chance of being eye-clean unless you have hawk-eyes.

I would want to confirm that the SBF didn't cause any haziness/transparency issues, but this could easily be checked out during your 30-day return window. For the price, I think it would be worth a shot to order it and see how you like it in person.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has gotten really off track. @mandyXL OP has already said that he's not color sensitive. If you want to talk about your stone, please start a new thread. Not trying to be rude, but this has gone way astray from OP and the original question.

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
Yes $54K + tax! I feel like it is a great price too and significantly larger than anything else I see in this price range.

Might be a dumb question but... what if I order it, it’s not on par with expectations and I want to return it, but something happens during the 30 day window, like I accidentally damage it. Do people usually get insurance during this 30 day window time frame?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes $54K + tax! I feel like it is a great price too and significantly larger than anything else I see in this price range.

Might be a dumb question but... what if I order it, it’s not on par with expectations and I want to return it, but something happens during the 30 day window, like I accidentally damage it. Do people usually get insurance during this 30 day window time frame?

That's a heck of a deal! Definitely worth checking out in person!

Regarding the insurance: Me personally? I would get some sort of plan on it as soon as the order is placed. I am clumsy as hell, and I can just imagine myself tripping and flinging a $50k loose diamond across the room while looking at it in different lighting. :mrgreen:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for understanding. I didn't meant to offend anyone. I apologize if anyone felt that way.
I just want to give my opinion as a person who do not know much about diamond. The color is the first thing I notice.
It's a very valid input for most diamond purchase! ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results