shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED opinions on completed setting!

lalaucb

Rough_Rock
I just had my engagement ring reset and while I am happy overall with the outcome, the prongs are bugging me. They were supposed to be small claw prongs but we’re made as tiny round/ball prongs instead which are actually very nicely done. The jeweler was provided with pictures of the requested setting and I was told it would be made exactly as pictured. I also specifically specified that I wanted the claw prongs as in the pictures. I have 2 questions: 1) for this type of 3 stone setting with round diamonds, are the prongs I actually received a better option aesthetically? And 2) is retipping the prongs to create a small claw prong even an option and will it yield a perfect result? I feel I am entitled to get what I paid for and this is the jeweler/bench honest mistake, I am just torn on what to do. BE0CB1B6-9FA5-4760-829B-CCF91F257A93.jpeg

Attachments

• EF08FB50-D492-4DF2-9823-8119D2BF5393.jpeg
    EF08FB50-D492-4DF2-9823-8119D2BF5393.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 7564DCCE-3C61-4551-A3B4-D9A0DD37CC43.jpeg
    7564DCCE-3C61-4551-A3B4-D9A0DD37CC43.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 399391ED-0848-4259-9E7F-D76F7794B726.jpeg
    399391ED-0848-4259-9E7F-D76F7794B726.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 79

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didnt you already have a thread on this? You didn't really need to start another one.

Go back to your jeweler and tell them you want petite claw prongs like in the picture you gave them.

This same thing has happened to other people. A competent bench can change the prongs into claw prongs. You need to
be talking to your jeweler. Ask why you didn't get them in the first place.

Is this setting white gold or platinum?

lalaucb

Rough_Rock
Didnt you already have a thread on this? You didn't really need to start another one.

Go back to your jeweler and tell them you want petite claw prongs like in the picture you gave them.

This same thing has happened to other people. A competent bench can change the prongs into claw prongs. You need to

It is platinum. Will changing the prongs look seamless and perfect like a brand new setting which is what I paid for?

lalaucb

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your feedback on my other post. The questions I am posing are different. I want opinions as to whether the existing prongs look better aesthetically and I should leave them. And I want to know if it’s possible for redone prongs to look perfect and seamless. It shouldn’t look like it was changed or repaired.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "norm" would be one thread per topic. The topic here is your prongs. You could have added these questions to your other thread.

Anywho, enough on that...

They will probably have to be done with a laser. A "good" bench would have them done perfectly but I/we dont know your
jeweler.

I'm going to call in @Karl_K to see what his opinion is on the subject.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look lovely and I would leave them as they are but it’s not my ring and if you want claw prongs make sure you have an excellent bench.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have really soured on claw prongs, they are rarely done right and create all kinds of problems when done wrong.
As an option baby/petite claw prongs are a good compromise even better are paw prongs(not as sharp pointed as baby claws but tapers to a smaller rounded end.)**
A bench who can not match prongs to a fairly high level is going to be a disaster doing claws sometimes even baby claws.
I am not confident that the benchman who set those stones could do it.

**terms vary depending on region and sometimes across the street.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I usually like petite claw prongs, but I kind of like your prongs. They look fairly innocuous, and seem to disappear. (And that is probably because the diamond is so beautiful!). That being said, you should get what you requested and paid for if that is what you want. If you have high confidence in your jeweler and you verify that they have a laser weld, they should be happy to accommodate you.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t find the prongs problematic at all. They remind me of my own prongs. I just want them to be as small as possible and blend into the diamond. However, you had stated that you really wanted claw prongs, paid for them and didn’t get them. It is really your call to pursue this or let it go. I personally am not a claw prong fan (they remind me of talons - lol!) so I am probably not the best person to ask. If your current prongs were blobs or bulbous, I might consider changing them, but I think they are just right, They sometimes look larger in pictures than they do in real life viewing,

What size and color are the diamonds in your ring? They look very pretty!

Reactions: MWM

lalaucb

Rough_Rock
I don’t find the prongs problematic at all. They remind me of my own prongs. I just want them to be as small as possible and blend into the diamond. However, you had stated that you really wanted claw prongs, paid for them and didn’t get them. It is really your call to pursue this or let it go. I personally am not a claw prong fan (they remind me of talons - lol!) so I am probably not the best person to ask. If your current prongs were blobs or bulbous, I might consider changing them, but I think they are just right, They sometimes look larger in pictures than they do in real life viewing,

What size and color are the diamonds in your ring? They look very pretty!

Thank you. Center stone is 2.71 and side stones are 0.40. All are H color SI2.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My family has a saying: If it were mine, I'd leave it alone.
I think your setting is perfect, beautiful ball prongs with a round diamond.

i agree
its a real
360_F_209650573_aqlaXMxoBDMaXck0WQmnBryltJIwpK6F.jpg

of a ring

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. Center stone is 2.71 and side stones are 0.40. All are H color SI2.

It is a very pretty ring and I love the proportions!!

lalaucb

Rough_Rock
I have really soured on claw prongs, they are rarely done right and create all kinds of problems when done wrong.
As an option baby/petite claw prongs are a good compromise even better are paw prongs(not as sharp pointed as baby claws but tapers to a smaller rounded end.)**
A bench who can not match prongs to a fairly high level is going to be a disaster doing claws sometimes even baby claws.
I am not confident that the benchman who set those stones could do it.

**terms vary depending on region and sometimes across the street.

Karl can you explain further what you mean? Maybe you are seeing something I’m not seeing??

lalaucb

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your feedback. Even though my jeweler says they can turn them into claws no problem and is “absolutely” confident they will come out perfect, I am still skeptical so will prob delay making a decision for now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results