carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on choosing one of these three 1/2 C diamonds

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

I am looking in to upgrading the center stone in my platinum engagement ring for our upcoming 15 year anniversary.
I believe the diamond that came with it and is still in it is about .25 carats. I'm a small jewelry kind of girl and have been very happy with the ring as is for the last 15 years, but decided I wouldn't mind something a wee bit bigger .

I am looking specifically to change the center stone to a diamond that is 0.522 carats for sentimental reasons, since we were married on 5/22, and actually found 3 options that are that exact size. They all rate very well on the HCA Advisor and all seem to be great diamonds to me. They do range quite a bit in price, and I am just wondering if anyone could weigh in on which they would choose? I'm not sure what is the most important thing to look for in a diamond this size.

Price is not really an issue, since I will likely keep this diamonds in the ring permanently. However, I don't know if a lower priced one would look as good as a higher priced one, as far as what the eye will see in this size. I do of course want it to look as big, white, bright and sparkly as possible.

Here are links to the three I am choosing from. The AGS certificates are also provided in the links.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.52-carat-h-color-if-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-263951

http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-0-52-Carat-G-color-AGSL-certified/D-MFRHS5

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.52-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-268668

Thanks!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Need opinions on choosing one of these three 1/2 C diamo

If money were no object I would choose #1. I like the color, the cut is excellent and it's very special to have an internally flawless diamond. #3 would be my second choice, lower color, make sure it's eye clean. #2 you don't actually have a photo of, that's just a sample. Be careful of the Si2 clarity.

insured

Rough_Rock

If the budget is not an issue, #1 (H, IF) is the clear winner to me on the basis of inclusions. The others are less expensive because of the lower clarity grades. #2 (G, SI2) is below my clarity comfort level and #3 (I, SI1) is likely not eye clean based on the large black inclusion just under the table, but it depends on how much that matters to you compared to the price difference. Congratulations on 15 years!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the great advice! It looks like #1 is by far the best pick.
I just have a couple of follow-up questions.
#1 is a H in color. Will that still show a nice bright white, or would you look for something with a better color grade?
Also, #1 is the highest priced at $2,090.00. Would you consider that overpaying for a 1/2 carat diamond or reasonable? I think that is at the top end of pricing for that size, but does it still seem acceptable for the visual and quality pay-off?
Thanks!

insured

Rough_Rock

2Neezers|1389213751|3589047 said:
#1 is a H in color. Will that still show a nice bright white, or would you look for something with a better color grade?
Also, #1 is the highest priced at $2,090.00. Would you consider that overpaying for a 1/2 carat diamond or reasonable? I think that is at the top end of pricing for that size, but does it still seem acceptable for the visual and quality pay-off?
Thanks!

Different people have different levels of color sensitivity, it's really a question of your perception. If your previous ring was an average jewellery store purchase, it's probably at least in the G-H-I color range if not J-K-L. Most would say an H should face up white. Depending on how color sensitive you are, you may or may not be able to see a little tint from the side, depending on the setting. The price is at the high end because of the IF, which many would think is clarity overkill, but given your very specific weight parameters and desire for symbolism, I'd say it's a good pick if money's not tight.

sherryd

Rough_Rock

So I did a search for you, and came up with the following. :appl: I went on b2cjewels, and found a .52 G VVSI diamond
It scores a 2.0 on the HCA and should be very nice. If you put the stock number in the search on there website it will come
up. I've bought a diamond from them and they're excellent. So for sentimental reasons...the measurements are 5.22x5.23x3.18.
Also the "born on date" from the gia certificate is are you ready....May 22, 2013! :o The price is similar to the other one you
posted, it's 2,139.43 and a discount if you bank wire. I love to buy things based on certain numbers, etc. This last Christmas I
bought my 24yo daughter a Cabbage Patch doll, not because she really would want it, but because it was her name on the
adoption papers it came with!!! Best of luck, congratulations on 15 years! :wavey:

sherryd

Rough_Rock

OOPS forgot the stock number, it's 3719820!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks so much for researching and finding this diamond for me! I love all of the 5/22 number matches too.
I had already purchased the #1 James Allen pick when I saw your post, but if I am unhappy with the color when I receive it, I will look in to the one you suggested with the better color grade for sure. Thanks again!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

insured|1389215480|3589063 said:
2Neezers|1389213751|3589047 said:
Thanks!

Different people have different levels of color sensitivity, it's really a question of your perception. If your previous ring was an average jewellery store purchase, it's probably at least in the G-H-I color range if not J-K-L. Most would say an H should face up white. Depending on how color sensitive you are, you may or may not be able to see a little tint from the side, depending on the setting. The price is at the high end because of the IF, which many would think is clarity overkill, but given your very specific weight parameters and desire for symbolism, I'd say it's a good pick if money's not tight.

Thanks so much for the great advice!
I went ahead and made the purchase for #1.
I think I will be very happy with the H color and will love the IF quality and the Hearts cut, but was assured by Michelle at James Allen that I could return it if I wasn't happy. She also told me that once I have decided to keep the diamond for sure, that I could send in my ring along with the new diamond and have my current diamond and mount switched out for around $100, and that would also include an appraisal on my finished ring! This sounds like a great deal to me, and since I don't know of a trusted jeweler in my town it's a great option to ensure that the diamond I bought will end up in my ring. I have read a few online reviews of local jewelers that mentioned stone swaps. I don't know how often that actually happens, since it seems like some online reviews are clearly made up by competitors, but it made me a little hesitant to trust someone locally without having experience with them.
I am very excited to start the process and my experience with James Allen has been excellent so far.
Thanks Again!

insured

Rough_Rock

2Neezers|1389328697|3590060 said:
Thanks so much for the great advice!
I went ahead and made the purchase for #1.
I think I will be very happy with the H color and will love the IF quality and the Hearts cut, but was assured by Michelle at James Allen that I could return it if I wasn't happy. She also told me that once I have decided to keep the diamond for sure, that I could send in my ring along with the new diamond and have my current diamond and mount switched out for around $100, and that would also include an appraisal on my finished ring! This sounds like a great deal to me, and since I don't know of a trusted jeweler in my town it's a great option to ensure that the diamond I bought will end up in my ring. I have read a few online reviews of local jewelers that mentioned stone swaps. I don't know how often that actually happens, since it seems like some online reviews are clearly made up by competitors, but it made me a little hesitant to trust someone locally without having experience with them.
I am very excited to start the process and my experience with James Allen has been excellent so far.
Thanks Again!

Should be a lovely stone! Just remember, when checking it out next to your current ring, be careful not to let the diamonds rub up against one another, they could scratch each other ;(

Whoever sets your stone, you should always check the girdle inscription when you get it back to make sure it is your stone. Honest mistakes can happen too ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results