shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions: K faint brown JA emerald

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
So I've been wanting a small faint brown budget diamond to set in RG as a stand-in engagement ring (a role currently filled by a round 4.5mm simulant-which-shall-not-be-named... I wear it all the time and it makes me sad it's not a diamond!). I think I'd do it collet-bezel-set, on a 2-2.5mm split shank, set east-west, and usually worn flanked by two 1.5mm plain RG bands.

I fell hard for the color of this one, and its price ($890 for 0.72ct, about 4x6mm) too.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.72-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2107407

The diamond is in India and JA can't get an ASET. The gemologist - whom I found thoughtful and helpful - said:

"It has great play of light, and I'm not seeing anything that makes me think that light leakage will be an issue...
The brown tone might make it look a little less bright than a white diamond, but I think it's going to look beautiful in a rose gold setting."

My biggest concern is that the facets under the table look less contrasty than some of the other ECs (not sure I buy blaming the brown tint for this), which I worry translates to light leakage.

What would PS do? This color is so hard to find! Anything else on JA - faint brown, with that rosy hue - that would be a better option? I'm pretty open minded to different cuts, except do not want a MRB, princess, or crushed ice anything. Budget is $1500 or so.

ETA: I've put the stone on hold so it's not really gone. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks like it has potential! You just need to see it in person to be sure. I love brown tone stones in rose gold! This will be a pretty set! It's late here and I can't look for alternatives right now, but I am guessing you have already picked the best one!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, DS! It's not really like finding the best G/H VS2/SI1 1ct round, eh? :) There isn't the kind of inventory on K/brown ECs where I can necessarily be picky but I'm glad you think it has potential!!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's definitely got potential!! For that price, I'd go ahead and buy it so you can see it in person, and then if it's no good you can take advantage of the 30 day full refund policy. I just bought a K VS2 emerald from JA without seeing an ASET first, and I'm thrilled with it. I think the faint brown K color will look faaaabuloud in rose gold....

For visual comparison, here's my new stone. It is super sparkly with great light return and the color is dreamy IMO :)

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.71-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1781985

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert but I wanted to chime in that I love that color! :love:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
HOUMedGal, may I be quite frank and say your gorgeous EC is what reminded me to look through JA's inventory??! :D I will be blown away if the cut is as good as yours (I reeeeeally don't think it is; yours is a stunner and check out how the steps under the table flash black & white instead of grey and lighter-grey? I think that's what worries me about this one... it doesn't look like YOURS! :love: ) but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Not to mention, JA's E/W EC bezel setting (the one you linked to in the beginning of your thread, but moved away from with time!) is my starting point for the setting... not sure where/who I'd have do it, but would add a split shank and some milgrain on the inside of the bezel. Heehee.

Thanks, Ariadne! I hope a K is tinted enough to see & enjoy the warmth but not to club others over the head with THIS IS A BROWN DIAMOND... I'm not color-sensitive, but I just love how it shows up in JA's video.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert - just an enabler - I really like it! I think it would make a really pretty ring!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Well, JA got it in to look at and the gemologist said its performance is excellent. I'm not sure I totally trust them to be skeptical - they're trying to sell me a diamond, after all! - but I do think they'd have flagged any major or obvious problems. So I'll check it out in person! Thanks all. :) will update when it arrives!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! can't wait to see how you set it.
I think if it's a review from the gemologist it should be fine! :appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ariadne_Theia|1475531795|4083326 said:
I am not an expert but I wanted to chime in that I love that color! :love:

I also adore that color! I've been trying to find a faint brown K on JA and having a super hard time. I wish you could just search for them! I'm so excited to see yours!

Tiber55

Rough_Rock
In case they haven't shipped it yet, JA will take Asets of stones after you have purchased them before they are sent out as part of the GG review process.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know, Tiber, I hadn't thought of that! But -- although I might be ostracized by the PS community... certainly an anti-intellectual approach here -- I'm so attached to this diamond by this point that I'm worried I'll reject it on the basis of a bad ASET but would have loved it in person. ;-) I'm all in! Hope it ships soon!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks really pretty - please do post pictures once you get it!

Vampira

Rough_Rock
Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, your setting/bands idea sounds lovely!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
So, it arrived today, and I am so underwhelmed. :blackeye: Definitely has leakage issues under the table, and when I faux-bezeled it with aluminum foil it completely died. The only positive, I guess, is that I really can't see any color in it, so at least I don't have to be sad about missing out on that rosy brown.

Also, kudos to JA for some super fancy packaging considering it was a $890 diamond. :)

I think what I'll do is buy a replacement while I'm still in the return window for this one, just so I can compare side-to-side and can be really sure it isn't *emeralds* that underwhelm and, rather, just this specific diamond... but it does mean I need a replacement and not too long from now!

I checked Leibish & DBL for an emerald or asscher in (light) brown but no dice.

Thoughts? I've looked through JA and there are definitely some backup options within budget (arbitrarily now $2500) but I'm not sure they really thrill? I listed, like, 12 in a spreadsheet and just can't point to one that's best.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
You want that faint brown color, correct?

(as an aside, did anyone spot the branded Ashoka in JA's inventory?)

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Well, there are two plusses to the faint brown color: 1, discounted by the market, and 2, pretty with rose gold. But I can barely see color in a K anyway, and it's going to be bezeled in RG, so I wouldn't mind a yellow-tint K or a considerably more tinted (maybe down to N/O? Dunno, haven't seen one in person!) brown.

I want to see the Ashoka! :D

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
ac117|1476193421|4085568 said:
kb1gra|1476152375|4085501 said:

kb1gra - is this it? I've been hunting just to see if I could find it! :lol:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.90-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-170663

No, it's this one:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.51-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1909818

the brand is inscribed on the girdle and noted on the cert.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kb1gra|1476195125|4085578 said:
ac117|1476193421|4085568 said:
kb1gra|1476152375|4085501 said:

kb1gra - is this it? I've been hunting just to see if I could find it! :lol:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.90-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-170663

No, it's this one:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.51-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1909818

the brand is inscribed on the girdle and noted on the cert.

Ahh, so cool!

OP, sorry for the thread jack! I do hope you are able to find the nice light brown emerald you're after!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Huge spread for a 0.51. I'm hoping I can convince my husband he wants me to have it!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that's a pretty cool cut! Good luck, kb1gra!! :) Think I'll start a new thread with my giant list of maybes for the next emerald candidate...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results