shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions! Can I accomplish this setting w. an MRB???

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I just purchased my upgrade diamond, a 3.23 J VS2 MRB. Now I am trying to decide on a setting. Victor Canera has my stone, but I need to tell him what to do with it!

Diamond link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-23-j-vs2-with-sbf-what-do-you-think.219981/

I was contemplating a thin pave solitaire setting, or a HW-inspired tapered baguette setting. I think both would be lovely. But I keep coming back to this setting, which has always been my favorite.

5stone_0.jpg

5_stone_3.png

img_4301.png

However the center stone shown is a cushion, which obviously has more height than an MRB. What I like about the setting is the proportion of the side stones to the center - they are shorter than the center stone (maybe half the height?) and therefore they highlight it. I don’t like when the sidetones are nearly the same width as the center stone and therefore it just looks like a band of bling where the center is not the star.

Do you think I could accomplish a similar feel with an MRB? The moons or traps would have to be smaller so that they’re a good deal shorter than the MRB. I’d also want them set on a steep angle to the center stone, not on the same plane as the center stone, to further help avoid the "indistinguishable band of bling" factor. However, I am worried that the moons and bullets would have to be so small to achieve the proper height proportions to the center stone, that they might end up looking silly.

This is the only example I could find with an MRB, half moons/traps, and bullets, and the side stones are too large in proportion to the center for my taste. (It looks lovely, don't get me wrong - but it just doesn't replicate the look I am going for.)

5stone2.jpg

Anyone else seen another example that could help me? And please give me your opinions on this!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Need opinions! Can I accomplish this setting w. an MRB??

As you can see from the photo above you can do it. Will it be attractive? Hard to say.

The only 5 stone I like with rounds is more rounds.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it would be ok for sizing. Your stone is quite large, so even stones that are proportional to what you want (half), you'd still have sides big enough that they'd hold their own.

do you like that the stone is round vs your inspiration as a cushion? I wonder if trying to make the round look more square (prongs can sometimes do this) would help make it feel more similar to the inspiration. This way, if the stone looks more square, it has the height a round is missing. Therefore, in theory, it should make the sides not need to be so small to achieve the same look. Just a thought!

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock

I'm not really what are the rules on appreciating the work of another member of the trade but that trapezoids + bullet look is beautiful - something I would want for my wife.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Yes - and I should mention that the LM ring is one of a few different inspiration rings, but the final ring will be its own unique creation. =)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The inspiration ring is gorgeous! I think the shape and proportion of the side stones work so beautifully with the cushion center.
Can you accomplish a similar look with your MRB? Similar but different. IMO a MRB center doesn't look as complimentary with those side stones, but it would still be pretty. I think delicate double claw prongs will help your center stone look a little less round.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Thanks to all for your replies. This is a rough PDF outline to get a sense of proportions to scale, based on the size of my center stone (9.5 mm). The side stones would have to be small (the moons are about 4.3 mm each), because otherwise the flat edge of the half moon would jut out past the curve of the center diamond, if that makes sense. I am OK with this as I prefer my side stones on the smaller side - even though this would be a 5 stone ring, I want it to feel more like a solitaire with accent stones.

The bullets may need to be a little shorter, but it's hard to say since the image is flat but in real life the ring will wrap around the finger.

Any thoughts? Of course the ring style will look somewhat different with an MRB, I'm just trying to decide if it will still retain the same elegant, vintage-y feel. Anyone really good with Photoshop and want to make me a mock up?? :angel:

kw_copy.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Can I suggest doing super duper thin bezels on the sidestones with milgrain? I think that would make it look more vintagey and give it a super high end look.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy|1456985008|3998962 said:
Can I suggest doing super duper thin bezels on the sidestones with milgrain? I think that would make it look more vintagey and give it a super high end look.

That's a cool idea! I'm trying to picture it. Any photo examples you can think of?

Gypsy, I think I saw on an old thread that you are also a fan of that inspiration setting. How do you think it would turn out with an MRB? You can be honest!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just for inspiration. This design by Victor has half moons with a round center, as well as a three sided pave shank which creates a vintage look as well, especially if you would use single cut melee.

_2262.jpeg

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Acinom|1456987788|3998975 said:
Just for inspiration. This design by Victor has half moons with a round center, as well as a three sided pave shank which creates a vintage look as well, especially if you would use single cut melee.

You speak my mind Acinom, that's what I want for my oval! I think another PSers got the same thing recently.

I think that's a very lovely design as well as the first inspiration ring the OP posted.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SomethingNew|1456988529|3998979 said:
Acinom|1456987788|3998975 said:

You speak my mind Acinom, that's what I want for my oval! I think another PSers got the same thing recently.

I think that's a very lovely design as well as the first inspiration ring the OP posted.

Yes indeed! A similar design has been posted but without the pave in the shank. A very beautiful look:

_2263.jpeg

_2264.jpeg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Gorgeous! I love that oval ring with the half moons. That stone also has the advantage of a nice tall height which lends itself to good proportions with the side stones.

Acinom- where did you find the VC ring with the round center and half moons, if you don't mind me asking? If like to take a closer look but I can't find it in the website.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Veltiesmom|1456987479|3998973 said:
Gypsy|1456985008|3998962 said:

That's a cool idea! I'm trying to picture it. Any photo examples you can think of?

Gypsy, I think I saw on an old thread that you are also a fan of that inspiration setting. How do you think it would turn out with an MRB? You can be honest!

Bezeled sidestones:
kellyfish%20reset%205.jpg

kellyfishreset1.jpg

Okay so picture of what I mean below. But with traps. Halfmoons would look fantastic like that too. It's all about the proportions of the sidestones to the center. Cadillac sidestones would be cool too.

As for whether or not a MRB would look good or not it REALLY depends on the proportions. I think it could look great or terrible. One thing I would keep in mind is that part of what works in the inspiration is the contrast of the rectangular center with the rounded halfmoons, with the step cuts at the end. It's all contrasts. So I am not sure that round center and round halfmoons will give you enough contrast. I don't know what the solution to that is. But maybe you can call Victor and discuss with him. He should have some great suggestions.

I do love this one here though, and do think it would work with a modern round brilliant:

art_deco_style_diamond_setting_r0561_2.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Veltiesmom|1456991007|3998988 said:
Gorgeous! I love that oval ring with the half moons. That stone also has the advantage of a nice tall height which lends itself to good proportions with the side stones.

Acinom- where did you find the VC ring with the round center and half moons, if you don't mind me asking? If like to take a closer look but I can't find it in the website.

Victor indeed did not post this design on his website. I saw this one photo on his FB page. You could ask him whether he has more pics or a video made. To my eyes the proportions are just gorgeous!!

Just for inspiration: round centers combined with rounds and pears. Personally I prefer the half moons.

_2265.jpeg

_2266.jpeg

_2267.jpeg

_36567.jpg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Great idea, thanks Acinom!

Gypsy, that semi-mount with the traps and the bullets is gorgeous! VC wasn't sure about the round/trap combo but I kind of like it - I think it comes down to the contrast between the three shapes as you said. I know people say not to pair traps with rounded stones but it's pleasing to my eye for some reason. I think it maybe gives a deco feel that I like. Hmmm. Maybe he'll make me a mock up with traps and bullets so I can at least see. It would look a little like this PSers ring with bullets added I suppose:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ting-facets-3-4-eternity-wedding-band.104333/

traps2.jpg
traps1.jpg

I also thought about epaulettes:

epaulette.jpg

Opinions on all of this anyone? Is it a bad idea to pair rounds with these angled step cut sides? Edited to add: I could do brilliant cut traps - that's a thing, right?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Personally I like a round stone with traps or bullets or a contrasting shape. My least fav is round with round. The last pics you posted of a pser's ring (round with traps) has the double prongs which give it a more "cushiony" look.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like step cut traps. I think they'd be gorgeous. Also don't forget the Cadillac cut!.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Along the lines of what gypsy said.

photogrid_1457047228013.jpg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Here's my best shot (I'm no artist) at trap sides instead of moons. I think I prefer the traps. Victor prefers the moons. What do you all think?

fullsizerender.jpg

Versus

kw_copy.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think Victor should get both and photograph your stone next to them so you can pick it out from the actual stones. The halfmoons could be shallower, which wouldn't be as nice. The traps could be too, it depends on the ACTUAL sidestones he is going to be using. So you need pictures. Abstract isn't going to cut it.

Does he say whether the half moons are step cut or brilliant cut? They come in both.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy|1457060143|3999436 said:
I think Victor should get both and photograph your stone next to them so you can pick it out from the actual stones. The halfmoons could be shallower, which wouldn't be as nice. The traps could be too, it depends on the ACTUAL sidestones he is going to be using. So you need pictures. Abstract isn't going to cut it.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Do you think that is a reasonable thing to ask? It would help immensely but I was trying not to be a huge pain in the :o . Not sure what kind of trouble/costs the jewelers incur for this sort of thing.

We haven''t yet discussed brilliant cut versus step cut for moons, traps, or bullets as I was still trying to decide what I prefer. Presumably bullets are always step cut. Do you think step cut moons/traps would be best? I was wondering how the contrast would look next to a brilliant cut center stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Closest I can come are these pictures. But I've seen rounds with step cut traps and loved the look.

Cadillac cuts (step cut) with a brilliant cut center:
loladog7.jpg

_36575.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Veltiesmom|1457063355|3999476 said:
This is exactly what I was thinking. Do you think that is a reasonable thing to ask? It would help immensely but I was trying not to be a huge pain in the :o . Not sure what kind of trouble/costs the jewelers incur for this sort of thing.

Honestly? Victor is FREAKING EXPENSIVE. Seriously. I would absolutely EXPECT that he would do this for you. You are PAYING for service. Without complaint he should do this for you. I know Leon used to do it for goodness sakes and you know how bad his customer service was. And I'd BET Steven and Mark would do it. So if he DOESN'T do it, it's time to re-think your jeweler.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

Just some additional pictures for you.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Thank you!! I will ask Victor. He has been very helpful thus far.

Do you happen to have a front view of that second setting in the post immediately above?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes, but the humongous center stone obstructs the sidestones from being angled out like they should have been so you can actually appreciate them. Plus, it's an ugly center stone (at least I think so). And I think that with the stone being rectangular and all the sidestones being rectangular it's all too rectangular together. If that center was a round, I think it would be lovely. Or if the traps were half moons. Or something. It could just be that I don't like the cushion so I want it gone and replaced with something else.

step_cut_sides_img-thing.jpg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Thank you! Hopefully seeing it all laid out will help. Victor had said he was glad to show me various side stone options for the half moons, so hopefully he won't mind throwing some traps in there as well. It's scary, though, going custom like this - especially since it's almost impossible to find a spot-on example ring image (with a round) for what I'm thinking!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I totally agree. You are brave!!

It's going to be fun to watch for us though, so thank you for sharing your process!

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Thank YOU all for the help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results