shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Opinion on this Jubilee!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Jubilee in question:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/jubilee_0_70ct_j_vs2.htm

A few things that concern me are:
1. Depth. The stone is rather deep at 64% but I also noticed that all of the Jubilees do run rather deep.
2. J color. Then again, PQ has the loveliest J color RB that looks so white so this may not matter. I still haven''t decided whether to set this in PT or YG. No clue on the setting.
3. H&A pattern is a little off. How obvious is the pattern under normal conditions? I have an H&A pendant and haven''t really been able to see the pattern because of the sparkle and it being smaller at 0.42ct. Is this something I should be concerned about?
4. The new square cushion at GOG is very interesting but Jonathan does not have anything that fits my specs (H, SI1) until August. I don''t have a deadline but this J, VS2 is super tempting because of the spread. Should I let this go, be patient and wait for this new "Hope" type diamond?

The other tests (LScope and BScope) show this to be a top performer. The price is also way below my budget which is a nice plus. Please share your opinion on this Jubilee.

Chrono

JUB70JVS2-SARIN.jpg

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I think that this is one of the best value Jubilee's in the whole lot for the following reasons:

- great spread, at 64% it's one of the shallowest there and looks exactly the same size as the .82

- VS2 is a great clarity grade

- the J color will not be noticed by most people. Chances are you won't be able to see the difference face up between that and an H.

The price, relatively speaking, is excellent. If I liked diamonds for me, I would buy that one. I still might
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one looks like a great deal... Among squares would be generous for the weight and bright - both great things. A couple percentage points less in depth would not make one of these allot larger - given the weight range and the guess that the rest of the cut would remain very consistent to the norm anyway.

I think "J" is a matter of theory below 1ct.

... and a great setting wold have more impact than some slight difference on the center stone you might consider from this point forth
read.gif

No reason to pass - as far as I can guess.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I agree... 64% depth is quite good compared to the rest of the field.

The J-color will only be noticible in moderately lighted rooms, and even then only at an angle or from the side. Face up, in normal lighting (office, store, outside) it will be as white as you can imagine.

As for the H&A, you can't tell unless you're staring at it. I like that it's there b/c it represents greater cut quality and therefore higher brilliance (which you can detect).

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
The .70 J VS2 will look as big as the .82 G VS2. It's got one of the lowest depth% of all the Jubilees that GOG has had posted.

All of the "Hope" type square diamonds that GOG has had all had depth% around 70%.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I agree with what's been said:

1. For a square stone, this one has an amazing depth!
2. While I normally would not consider a "J" in color ("I" was my lowest (and what I bought)), I would for a stone less than 1 ct because it really will not show the body color--especially not face up.
3. I wouldn't worry about the H&A pattern being a little off in a square--it's just great it's there at all!
4. I LOVE the new square cushion stones, but they have a different look to them. The nice thing about the jubilee is it seems to be more of a cross between a round and a square (a round with squared off corners), whereas the new square looks more like a square with rounded edges. It's really up to you which shape you prefer!

Because the stone performs nicely, you really can't go wrong!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm all in a knot thinking about this Jubilee.
14.gif
There are so many wonderful things about it.

1. Depth: everyone is in agreement that this Jubilees has the best spread.
appl.gif

2. J color: everyone also said that this is not noticeable at all from the top and for those under 1 ct. When mounted, I suppose it will not be obvious from the side?
confused.gif

3. H&A pattern: Although not perfect, can I still see this pattern with the naked eye under the correct lighting? I can stare at my stone for hours until I get a headache and my eyes get blurry. Another reason why I prefer a VS2 stone. Even a tiny speck bothers me. I'd like to be able to see the H&A pattern sometimes. Would I?

4. I love the new squarer shape of the new "Hope" diamond but ep6585 hit the nail when he/she(?) said that all the "Hope" type squares have a depth of around 70% which will make the stone look smaller.
cry.gif
Am I interpreting this correctly? My wallet is only so fat and the price on this Jubilee is so attractive at $1000 below my original budget.

What do you all think of the Lightscope reading? Not enough dark reds and black? Looks good? Could be better? I don't know how to read this thing.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a "he".

The Lightscope pic looks good and it gets three Very High's on the Brilliancescope. That's better than a lot of the Jubilees and MUCH better than most princess cuts.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks good to me. you will see arrows from the top down when you look at the stone in certain lightings...though i note that my husband's ACA which is .38c shows less arrow patterns because of the small size...my 1.29c stone shows them about 2ce as many times as his does.

I see the Regent arrows in my pendant very often in certain lighting as well and it's small. if the pattern is the tiniest bit off it will not matter to your naked eye which is actually very forgiving.

this seems like a great deal. I agree the smaller size will mask alot of color, from the side you may see a slight tint..though all stones are slightly different and yours may or may not...but no one really looks at the stone from the side.
2.gif

since you are interested in something like an H ..then a jump to J is not entirely unheard of. i love the spread on this stone too because of the shallow depth. BONUS!
2.gif

mm this would make a yummy pendant for me.
9.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Well Chrono,

Which do you like better, the Hope or the Jubilee? If it's the Hope, then go for it, but recognize that you'll generally need about 10% more weight to have the same spread.

Keep in mind, that with these fancy shapes, it's not like rounds. I could spec out a round by carat, color, clarity, depth, table, crown and pavillion angles and find exactly what I wanted in about two weeks time.

It may take you months to find a SI1 H in the size you want in Hope or Jubilee and then it may not be the right depth, have the right color inclusions, H&A pattern, BS score or whatever.

I honestly don't think you're going to find a Jubilee or Hope that looks bigger or looks any better to the naked eye for the same price or $1000 more.

However, go with your heart and have no regrets. Good luck

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EP, I didn't want to offend you as I didn't know if you were male or female. Thanks for clearing that up.

Hey Mara, get your paws off my Jubilee!
naughty.gif
Well, it's not mine yet anyway. I'm just thinking about it. It's so good looking and the specs are so very tempting. I only have H stones so the J is throwing a wrench in this. Then again, it's not a 1 ct so maybe it'll be okay after all. I think once it is set in the ring, I shouldn't be able to discern any yellowing.

I prefer the Hope over the Jubilee (squarer shape) but as Noobie said, I'll need a bigger stone to get the same spread. Plus, once the stone is set, both the Jubilee and Hope will essentially look the same if under 1ct and without the H&A showing. Is that correct? Noobie also pointed out a valid concern: it may take months to find an H SI1 in the right size with the right depth, inclusions, H&A patttern, LScope, Bscope, etc.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and if you haven't figured it out, I know so much about that stone because I had it on hold and was going to buy it. It was very painful to let it go
sad.gif
If you want a Jubilee, there's not much more of a better value in that size range.....

Where's that phone I need to call Jonathan and buy that sucker ... J/K

Still suffering from Jubilee withdrawl
errrr.gif

edited to add: Chrono, if you are serious about this diamond, make sure you have it on hold. When nice diamonds get posted, they have a habit of disappearing. Just ask Mara. No wait ask me, she bought the one I posted about
6.gif

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Noobie - was the inclusion on the 1.19 G I1 Jubilee hard to see?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes i definitely agree, put a diamond on HOLD then post about it. you never know who is secretly looking for those same specs.

noobie your diamond is bigger than mine anyway.
9.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/6/2004 5:15:57 PM Mara wrote:

noobie your diamond is bigger than mine anyway.
9.gif

----------------
Yes ....... but for how long
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is I want a bigger diamond too! I was thinking of a 0.8ct or thereabouts with a nice spread to look like a 0.9ct (though I know that is tough to find). Instead, I find this lovely gem of a 0.7ct with a spread of a 0.8ct. What am I to do? A 0.7ct is sooooo small
cry.gif

Noobie, aren't you looking at the Hope stone or another Jubilee? If so, how can you be suffering from a Jubilee withdrawal? Are you serious about Mara buying the one you posted?
nono.gif
Which one is it? You don't mean the 1.19ct G I1 Jubilee?

Actually, I already have this on hold while I am thinking about it. I know it is a great buy and others will want it while I am wringing my hands over it. If I do ever let it go, it will be a very difficult decision and with lots of tears.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono

I don’t want to influence one way or the other, but here are some things you may wish to think about:

You want a 0.8x size stone. Well this 0.70 has the spread of a .80 without the premium.I also had the 0.82 on hold since I thought it had the spread of the .90, but alas due to a mistake it was not so.However, it is possible to cut a .8x with a spread of a 1 carat princess.Whether or not it will happen in the your time frame is the question.Ask Jonathan, but I don’t think he will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Think if it this way, with your budget (I have a feel for what it is) do you think you will find a Jubilee or Hope that looks appreciably bigger (at least 5.6 mm x 5.6 mm) with acceptable clarity and color?I’m not sure.You’ll have to buy around a .90 to get that and it will be significantly more money.

However, if having a larger stone is a primary factor, then you should evaluate your budget, not suggesting you spend more by any means, and your clarity and color requirements.You should not have regrets, although GOG does have an upgrade policy, you’ll be getting into new settings and modifications as well as sentimental value.If you have the money you may be better off to buy bigger now.

I’m having Jubilee withdrawal, since I am a serious value shopper and that thing, in my opinion is a serious Jubilee value, if you want a Jube.I considered buying it and then figuring out what to do with it, until I came to my senses.

And yes, Mara did buy a diamond I was looking at a few months ago.It was a 1.29 SI1 H round that was a great value.I looked at it and posted asking opinions.She didn’t comment!A few days later I went back to check, and poof it was gone!

6.gif
I ended buying a 1.36 VS2 H and spent about a grand more. I’m not bitter, I’m not bitter, I’m not bitter .
9.gif
Just kidding.I’m happy for her (but I do like razzing her now and again).But you know the saying, you snooze, you loose.
loopy.gif

Good luck

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Of the Jubilees still left on GOG's website the .90 G SI1 is the next biggest one. You'd be going from 5.37 to 5.57 but at a pretty big price jump.

Did Jonathan say when he was getting more Jubilees? If he is, how many people ahead of you would have first choice? Do you have a deadline that you need to meet?

I waited and waited for the last batch to come in and I wasn't high enough on the list to get the one I would've like. I could've waited some more but I still might not have been able to get exactly what I wanted. In the end I'm happy with the one I did get.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no deadline but my fingers are itching to sport one!
love.gif

Ep6585, that's what I'm worried about. If I wait for the next batch of Jubes, I probably will not have first dibs on the stone I like. And the 0.9 G SI1 Jube is double the price of the 0.7 J VS2. It's too much to pay for a miniscule physical size increase.

Do you know what this means? It's time to pick up the phone and bother Jonathan again.
naughty.gif
I've been calling almost everyday about what else he has in his inventory. I want to buy with no regrets. I know GOG has a good upgrade policy but I am one of those who buys for keeps.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I probably called and bugged him as much or more than you do. Just ask him.

Do you know if there are any local jewelers in your area that carry Jubilees?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To all Jubilee owners,
Did the Jubilee live up to your expectations when you finally got to look at it?

Ep6585 and Noobie,
Did any of you actually see the 0.7 J VS2 in person? There are no local dealers that carry the Jubilee near my area.
sad.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing: Polish.

This is rather confusing as I've read that the polish doesn't really matter, then Mara announces that she wouldn't buy anything that doesn't score an Excellent in Polish. So which is it? Does it matter or not?
confused.gif

This Jubilee has an Excellent symmetry and a VG Polish. Do I care? Is this important?

Chrono

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I think that symmetry does matter. Polish I would think matters much less. G or VG would be fine. It certainly bears little effect on price, I hear.

As far the Jubilee... my FW loved it. So pleased that I thought so much of her to find such a unique diamond. I must say that you will always have a little dissappointmen seeing a diamond in real life for the first time... becuase it's so small. It's hard to imagine that something so small... COULD have been my 60" plasma screen tv!!
2.gif

But as far as brilliance, it's kicks. However, I've recently seen the Zales Octillion, and you know what? It's not bad. Small for it's size, probably deep, but better than SOME maul store stones I've seen.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
chrono,

I saw the .82 which is almost a twin of the 0.70 and the 0.82 looked great. It had lots of fire and scintillation. I looked at the .82 face up next to a J color master stone in a white card and the J was plenty white enough for me. That being said, diamond shapes are personal. If you want a square that performs like a round, you'll love it. If you like the radiant or emerald look, this may not be for you.

With regards to the 0.70, another jeweler (not GOG) who I have grown to trust has seen it and described it to me as a "glorious stone" that faces up very white. Whether or not he/she wishes to comment further, I'll leave it up to him/her.

Geez, if you make me keep thinking about, I'm gonna buy it. J/K

BTW all diamonds look smaller loose and look much better mounted.

VH... Just think of the happiness you bestowed on your FW with the Jubilee compared to the possible grief from a 60" plasma purchase
2.gif
Besides don't buy a plasma. I was going to, until a neighbor of mine talked me into a 110" front projection HDTV for less. Watched Return of the King on it the other night ... just awesome
1.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I would agree w/Noobie. Once set, and you get back into the real work, you'll notice that the rock is plenty big.

Noob: intereting comment about the front projection. How much of a difference?
The only downside? I can't wall mount that sucka!
1.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/8/2004 2:41:22 PM verticalhorizon wrote:

Noob: intereting comment about the front projection. How much of a difference?
The only downside? I can't wall mount that sucka!
1.gif

----------------

You could great system for less than $5K. You can get a very good one for less. Screen is wall mounted or retractable. Projector is typically ceiling mounted. No comparison in terms of effect to plasma. You feel like you are at the theater. Check out avsforum. Drop me a note if you and the FW ever want to drop by and see it. I have two very young kids and don't leave the house anymore except to go to work.

8.gif

Anyways way off topic: chrono what have you decided?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No decision as yet. The diamond is still on hold. I am so very tempted but I don't want to be rash. In the meantime, I've started thinking about settings. This is so nerve wrecking (but still fun). The next batch of Jubes will come in 2 weeks' time but no one can predict what are the sizes, color and clarity, which means I basically have nothing to compare too. There are no Hope diamonds in my size, spec and budget range either.

What do you all think of mounting the Jubilee 45 degrees off (like a star or cross)?

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Did you ask GOG how many other people are waiting for Jubilees? If you're at the top of the list it might be worth waiting.

I'd think the thin girdle on the cut corners would be exposed if you set it that way.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Noob..hee! I was actually looking at the 1.29 long before you posted about it AND I had asked WF to hold it for me a few days before you even posted about it and it took a few days to remove it after that. So I don't feel TOO guilty!
9.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry peeps and I know off topic but is a front projection like the thing that you mount in the ceiling? Another question... if you had to choose between plasma or lcd which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results