shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinion on this diamond, please...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

islandgirl16

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I have been reading the forums in this site for several months now but this is my first time to post. I am hoping that, as most of you are experts on diamonds, you can help me and my guy in making a very important decision.

We found this diamond at the LA Jewelry District and want to be sure that it is a good quality diamond. Of course quality also equates to price.

GIA Certified
1.59 round brilliant
E color
SI1 clarity
7.46 - 7.52 x 4.64 mm
61.9 % depth
58% table
Thin to Medium, faceted - Girdle
Culet - none
Fluorescence - none
Polish - Very Good
Symmetry - Good

Another thing, the date on the Certificate is 2003. Is this something I should be concerned about? Why would a diamond like that go unsold for 5 years or so?

I look forward to hearing everyone''s opinion, or lecture!!!

Thank you so much....

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
What are the angles?

islandgirl16

Rough_Rock
Hi Breann,

Those are the only information on the Certificate... I was also looking for information on the CUT but it is not in the report. I asked the guy who was helping us about it and said that it''s because the Certificate is old and those information are add-ons to the newer reports. What do you think of that?

Thanks for responding!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it''s true. Old GIA reports don''t have it. Pre 2007, I think.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
hmm, you can''t really tell cut on just depth and table, you need crown and Pav angles too......If you could get an idealscope that could tell you if the cut was nice or not...

Do you not want to shop online?

islandgirl16

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, we wouldn''t mind shopping online but don''t know where to start. There are just too much to choose from!!!

Any sites you can recommend? Also, I compared this diamond to a couple of sites (with the same specs) and what we have is the better deal. But of course, we want to be absolutely sure before we purchase this.

Yeah, might have to spend more time looking around....

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Well, what is your budget if you don''t mind me asking? We could recommend some stones to you.

islandgirl16

Rough_Rock
The guy quoted as a little over $12,000 for the ring. Since it''s at the jewelry district I am sure he might even lower the price. We can spend up to 13k, diamond and setting altogether. Of course we would rather spend lower than that - It''s all a matter of finding a very good quality diamond.

I''ve also always liked cushion so if we go again, I might look at a couple of cushions. However, I''m at 90% getting a round.

Any help / advice is greatly appreciated!

islandgirl16

Rough_Rock
Omg, thank you for the links, that was extremely helpful!

This is what I am considering:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-952968.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

I picked this amongst the selection, because:
1) I want a GIA certification
2) Although there is no huge difference between an SI1 ans SI2, the SI1 is the lowest I would want to go
3) Also, I think this best match for what I''m looking for!!

Now, as per your advice, I emailed and asked for an IdealScope report, I am hoping to get it tomorrow. We will take it from there.

Please tell me, would the MEDIUM BLUE FLUORESCENCE make a big impact on the diamond, in a not-too-good way? This is something that I know not much about.

Thanks as always....

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGS is just as good as GIA. Some people think it's better.

Medium blue fluorescence is not a negative.

The arrows are a little fat on that stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2008 11:53:41 PM
Author: islandgirl16
Omg, thank you for the links, that was extremely helpful!

This is what I am considering:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-952968.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

I picked this amongst the selection, because:
1) I want a GIA certification
2) Although there is no huge difference between an SI1 ans SI2, the SI1 is the lowest I would want to go
3) Also, I think this best match for what I''m looking for!!

Now, as per your advice, I emailed and asked for an IdealScope report, I am hoping to get it tomorrow. We will take it from there.

Please tell me, would the MEDIUM BLUE FLUORESCENCE make a big impact on the diamond, in a not-too-good way? This is something that I know not much about.

Thanks as always....
It looks like a nice diamond, post the IS image when you get it, medium blue fluorescence isn''t an issue and you may not even notice it much, some here actively seek out fluorescence in their diamonds and think it is a bonus!

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
I think flor. is a good thing, as long as it does not affect the diamond in a negative way(oily appearance), Im sure that diamond is good tho and the oily appearance is rare and mostly deals with very strong flor. Get the IS and ask jamesallen if it has a negative impact and make sure its eyeclean to your standards. Nice Choice!!

islandgirl16

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies... I sent a message via the JamesAllen on Monday night asking for the IdealScope but still haven''t received a response. Anyone know the best way to contact them? In that way I can also request for similar diamonds.

As soon as I have the IS, I will post it here for recommendations...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2008 2:18:05 AM
Author: islandgirl16
Thanks for the replies... I sent a message via the JamesAllen on Monday night asking for the IdealScope but still haven''t received a response. Anyone know the best way to contact them? In that way I can also request for similar diamonds.

As soon as I have the IS, I will post it here for recommendations...
I know they are pretty busy at the moment so I would call them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results