shape
carat
color
clarity

Need mucho help finding the right diamond and setting

isekii

Rough_Rock
Been a lurker for a bit and reading and researching different stones settings.

I'm looking to propose to my 3 years (as of 12/18) to marry me.

My budget is about 10k total. Ring and Setting.

Saw this setting from another price scope user. Girlfriend saw it and she absolutely loves the design, so would like something similar.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/perry-chen-at-lm-steven-kirsch-cushion-halo.169586/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/perry-chen-at-lm-steven-kirsch-cushion-halo.169586/[/URL]

she also has her heart set on a cushion cut, but would be okay with a round cut hearts and arrows.

Several questions I have is.

1. Is it true that Gold is harder metal than platinum ? I spoke with one jeweler and they suggested that gold setting would be better than platinum. Also since it's rhodium coated they'd look exactly the same.

2. Would it better to spend more on the diamond and upgrade the setting later ? i.e get white gold setting then upgrade to platinum later down the road ?

3. I'm looking for a 1.2 - 1.5 stone in a G-H cushion or hearts and arrows. I've been browsing James Allen and such for both types. Would you guys be able to give some good suggestions that's in my price range ?

4. Also the color range from a G to an I or even a J really noticeable to the naked eye ?

Thank you everyone.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
isekii|1355931211|3335530 said:
Been a lurker for a bit and reading and researching different stones settings.

I'm looking to propose to my 3 years (as of 12/18) to marry me.

My budget is about 10k total. Ring and Setting.

Saw this setting from another price scope user. Girlfriend saw it and she absolutely loves the design, so would like something similar.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/perry-chen-at-lm-steven-kirsch-cushion-halo.169586/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/perry-chen-at-lm-steven-kirsch-cushion-halo.169586/[/URL]

she also has her heart set on a cushion cut, but would be okay with a round cut hearts and arrows.

Several questions I have is.

1. Is it true that Gold is harder metal than platinum ? I spoke with one jeweler and they suggested that gold setting would be better than platinum. Also since it's rhodium coated they'd look exactly the same.

There's tons of threads that address pros and cons of each metal. You can do a search and see the benefits of each. My vote is platinum because it doesn't need to be replated like gold does.

2. Would it better to spend more on the diamond and upgrade the setting later ? i.e get white gold setting then upgrade to platinum later down the road ?

That's what I would do, but everyone is different. If she has her heart set on a particular setting, that may be more important to her than diamond size.

3. I'm looking for a 1.2 - 1.5 stone in a G-H cushion or hearts and arrows. I've been browsing James Allen and such for both types. Would you guys be able to give some good suggestions that's in my price range ?

Sorry, you'll have to rely on the experts here for diamond suggestions.

4. Also the color range from a G to an I or even a J really noticeable to the naked eye ?

Most people can't tell the difference unless the stones are side by side (i.e. a G sitting next to a J would be noticeable), but others are more color sensitive. I had a J that faced up extremely white to my eyes, but my husband could see color tint when he looked at it. I would say H-I is a nice compromise.

Thank you everyone.

Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty ring she's chosen. Get in touch with Perry Chen and have him find you the diamond, then Leon can make it for you. If you use them together you will also probably get the best possible price. Artofplatinum.com

For pave platinum is the best. Period. I don't care what a different jeweler told you. He's wrong. Leon works in platinum for pave and knows what he is doing. Don't dictate to him. . The setting is called Adrianna at Leon's. Tell him you want no donut.

You will be a great ring this way, and get her exactly what she wants.

I think a J is fine honestly in a well performing cushion. Perry has a good eye and can help you find a lovely stone.

Alternately you can, as that poster did, use Steven Kirsch for the setting. He is in the same building as Leon and used to work with Leon. So that's easy as well. Perry can walk to stone to Steven and Steven can do that setting again for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my reservations about Leon is that he simply sets a fair number of stones too low. I think Steven really does nice halo rings and you don't have to worry about how it will turn out. The killer is that this setting is going to cost you around $4k+ which leaves only $6k max for the diamond. I don't personally like those percentages.

But I agree with Gypsy that you should get Perry to find you a stone because he can find you one in your budget. Then compare prices for the setting. Oh, and platinum without a doubt!!!

Regarding color, most people can see the tint in J color. I color is a range and a mid-high I is a good buy if you can find one. I'd probably tell him to search within H-I colors.

isekii

Rough_Rock
Would you guys be able to tell me if this would be a good stone ?

Weight 1.20 CT
Shape CUSHION SQ. MODIFIED BRILLIANT10
Color F
Clarity SI1
Measurements 6.07 x 5.82 x 4.12 mm
Depth 70.8%
Table 55.6%
Crown 17.4%
Pavilion 47.6%
Crown Angle 38.8°
Pavilion Angle 32.2°
Girdle MEDIUM TO SL. THICK FACETED
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence FAINT
Culet N/A
Cut Grade N/A
Comments
UGS Appraisal Value N/A

isekii

Rough_Rock
I saw this one at ERD and it was beautiful, but it's out of my budget

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/1.54-carat-i-vs1-a-cut-beyond-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-109134.html

so....

What do you guys think about this one ?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1381147.asp

or

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Good-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1501105.asp

Also hoping for something that's a bit more of an antique Cushion Brilliant.

Also should I stay away from EGL ? or if looking at EGL go 1 grade higher than their rating ?

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I think if that's the cut that you like on a cushion, it's gorgeous!! Love the clarity on it too!

isekii

Rough_Rock
I personally like the old mine cushion and she liked the antique cut she saw this and likes it a lot. it has a distinct shape in the center and it has a nice shine to it.

isekii

Rough_Rock
1490756aset_1.jpg

aset image looks ok guys?

isekii

Rough_Rock
can i get fellow ps'ers input on the aset image ?

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I can't comment on the asset but wanted to say that stone is beautiful and I love the setting.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

isekii

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions

I'll look into getting the Close up and ASET image of 1.66.
Also do you think i'll notice a huge color diff bet the J and the K ?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't go to K color in a modern cushion. In fact I wouldn't go lower than I color. You can get away with J color better in the antique cushions. I really think you should contact Perry to see what he can find in antique style cushions.

isekii

Rough_Rock
I'm in contact with perry as well regards to the stone.

He sent 1.11-1.20 size G/H Stones that are in my range for the stone price and a 1.5 I SI1 that's about 2k above my max stone price,

The only issue is is that my GF wants the larger stone :( and with my budget i'm finding it difficult to do.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is such a shame that diamond prices are so high. I really feel for all you guys who have to buy engagement rings now.

Lovingwarmdiamonds

Rough_Rock
If you are open to old cut cushions you might want to check in with Old world diamonds to see if they may have a stone for you.
Here are a few I found on their site but they may have more that arent listed

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.php?ID=924&SHAPE=C

This one is looks like a bit of a different style antique cushion. Maybe just because it is so elongated.  
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.php?ID=1034&SHAPE=C

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.php?ID=1071&SHAPE=C

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.php?ID=1071&SHAPE=C

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.php?ID=2462&SHAPE=OM

isekii

Rough_Rock
Yep I checked out their sites as well.

Their office is not too far from me.
I'm on 54th and 6th during work hours so I can definitely give them a visit.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
I wouldn't go to K color in a modern cushion. In fact I wouldn't go lower than I color. You can get away with J color better in the antique cushions. I really think you should contact Perry to see what he can find in antique style cushions.

I have a J 8 main modern cushion that is plenty white because it is well cut. I've compared it to my friends decently cut D MRB indoors and out and out most certainly holds it's own. Most jewelers are totally shocked that GIA graded it a J because it looks plenty white sure to the cutting.

My point is, I wouldn't pass such blanket judgment on lower colored cushions.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Well normally I don't recommend going to J-K if she's color sensitive and prefers white stones. But it sounds like size may be more of a priority than color here, and the 1.6ct size may offset the fact that it's a K. Also, it looks to be a nice bright 8-main (like Clairitek's perhaps) and IMO is still worth checking out. Unless she specifically wants a whiter stone and would prefer it over a larger stone.

ETA: If you get an ASET, also ask the JA gemologist to comment on the color, both face-up and from the size, and perhaps you'll find that it may be a conservatively graded K that's closer to J range...and since you were considering J in the other stone, that may be a winner...

isekii

Rough_Rock
Clairitek|1356401637|3339393 said:
diamondseeker2006 said:

I have a J 8 main modern cushion that is plenty white because it is well cut. I've compared it to my friends decently cut D MRB indoors and out and out most certainly holds it's own. Most jewelers are totally shocked that GIA graded it a J because it looks plenty white sure to the cutting.

My point is, I wouldn't pass such blanket judgment on lower colored cushions.

Is yours in a halo setting ? would you have some pictures that you can post ?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No ASET? It will tell us far more than the IS.

isekii

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1356570809|3340351 said:
No ASET? It will tell us far more than the IS.

ASET image will be coming tomorrow.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the double post. It won't let me delete the second one for some reason.

That 1.5 J modern cushion is just so much bigger than this last one, I am not sure it is a good move to go that small since size clearly is an issue for her.

I didn't realize that this one is J color, but it gives you an idea of what J color is like in a halo:

isekii

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1356575436|3340407 said:
Sorry for the double post. It won't let me delete the second one for some reason.

That 1.5 J modern cushion is just so much bigger than this last one, I am not sure it is a good move to go that small since size clearly is an issue for her.

yea the size is definitely smaller

Measurements: 7.08 x 6.86 x4.45 vs 6.43 x 6.15 x 3.97

Surprisingly the 1.12 has the dimensions of a 1.25-1.3 carat cushions that i've checked out and it's top heavy. It had a nice size crown ( if that's what you call it ). Which makes it larger than it's carat size indicates.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isekii|1356575968|3340415 said:
diamondseeker2006|1356575436|3340407 said:

yea the size is definitely smaller

Measurements: 7.08 x 6.86 x4.45 vs 6.43 x 6.15 x 3.97

Surprisingly the 1.12 has the dimensions of a 1.25-1.3 carat cushions that i've checked out and it's top heavy. It had a nice size crown ( if that's what you call it ). Which makes it larger than it's carat size indicates.

The 1.12 may have a high crown due to being an antique style cushion, but that does not make the stone look larger. It just has more weight in the crown, but it does not increase the diameter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results