shape
carat
color
clarity

Need immediate advice on cat

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
She looks a million times more secure than she did a week ago.
How is her nose? Has the injury healed?
I hope the kindness and compassion that you have shown this kitty comes back to you tenfold. You saved her life.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, oh she just looks wonderful :saint::clap: You did that, your love and dedication.

She must be very adoptable just for her beauty alone.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
CJ, Thank you for taking in and helping this sweet girl. It is apparent she had it rough out there.

About 8 years ago I was in your shoes. I found a feral that needed help. He sought me out for that help, and of course I gave it to him. I initially tried to tame him so that he could be adopted. After his quarantine, I had him snap tested and got the dreaded result of FIV+. I had help from the wonderful people from the LA org Kitten Rescue. They talked me off the ledge, so to speak. In the end there was nowhere for him to go. Shelters are full (not a good place anyway because he was feral and not adoptable). The only thing left for him was to keep him and integrate him into my household. It took a while. I was extra cautious, and all progress was at his pace. He called all the shots.

By now you are probably figuring out this cat was Wellington. I took a chance on him and he rewarded me in spades. He was extremely grateful to have someone he could trust, and he showed that gratitude every day! He was also very happy to see that I had 2 other cats. That cat taught me so much about myself and I can 100% say my family is permanently changed for having known him. Wellington was the best creature I had ever met. The TRUE love of my life. He passed a month ago from lymphoma (one of the unlucky ones). He spent close to 8 years with Electra and Seth, sharing food, water, grooming etc. I just had Electra in for her exam and the blood work we did also included virals. YEP! Still FIV negative.

CJ, it is a personal decision what you choose to do with this cat. I just fear that you are going to run into dead ends regarding rescue groups. They are all full. Even though FIV isn't a big deal, it makes it alot harder to get her adopted (not to mention she is feral as ferals are usually not adoptable at all.)

If you decide to keep her, I promise you that she will reward you in spades. She will always look at you like you are the best thing on this earth. Within a year's time you will wonder how you ever lived your life without her. It truly is a special connection.

I'll leave you with this excerpt from The Little Prince:

“I am looking for friends. What does that mean -- tame?"

"It is an act too often neglected," said the fox. "It means to establish ties."

"To establish ties?"

"Just that," said the fox. "To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world....”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ I am so sorry that Tabby's Place cannot take her. I cannot agree more with LAJennifer's wise post. She cannot be brought to a shelter as she would be euthanized or kept the rest of her life in a cage. In the meantime as you are searching I am reaching out as well to everyone I know who might be able to help and perhaps start a thread about this little girl? In any case your sweet kittens are not in harms way and hopefully a good home can be found for her.

Jennifer I love this quote and quite agree. My parents FIV+ kitty is a love and a joy and their cats are doing great with her as well. She is part of the family and knock wood everyone is healthy and happy.

If you decide to keep her, I promise you that she will reward you in spades. She will always look at you like you are the best thing on this earth. Within a year's time you will wonder how you ever lived your life without her. It truly is a special connection.

+1 to infinity

(((HUGS))) CJ to you and this little girl.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LAJennifer

I really appreciate that you said more. Thank you so much.

And I am so sorry about Wellington. :( He was a lucky boy to have found you. Thank you for giving him a safe and loving place and for loving him so much.

I've learned something from every cat, from every animal I've ever encountered. But I imagine she would teach me to a depth I haven't known, since it's possible she may never become a lap cat, or never allow herself to be pet. I would have to learn to truly love her unconditionally.

I already can't imagine my life without her.

And she has already rewarded me in spades. Each time I go in there and she doesn't retreat in her carrier. Each time she closes her eyes when I tell her she's a good girl. My reward is to know she's safe.

But of course that could never compare to what might come a year from now. Or two years from now. Or to actually get to see her play. To actually see her hang out with my cats. But for reasons other than the FIV I cannot keep her, even though I so much would love to be the one to give her all that and more. If I can find someone who is willing to give her that 100% then I will have to be happy with that even though part of me will always miss her and wish it was me.

I fully realize that I may come to a lot of dead ends trying to find her a home.

I came to dead ends each time I've tried to rescue and adopt out an animal. Which is how I ended up with the two I have now.

And this girl has FIV, an ear tip, and is not that trusting. The odds are against her.

But I can tell you one thing - and that is that she will never ever end up in a shelter or anywhere where I don't have any control over what happens to her. That's why I would never do a Petco adoption run, or anything like that (even though @elle_71125 I so much appreciate the idea). It would have to be a family that I either know, or that someone I trust knows. Or an established, reputable sanctuary. The reason I contacted Tabby's Place without hesitation is because @missy suggested it, and if she tells me the place is good I need to think no further.

I am in contact with a local TNR group, and a woman is going to help me trap the rest of the cats that are there (a mom and 3 kittens). As you can imagine many of these women are animal lovers so I am hoping that is another avenue of help.

Missy I will definitely start a thread for her I just have to put something together.

I have not heard back from Taby's place via phone, but I sent another email following up today.

Kristie thank you so much for your kind words. ((hugs))

FiMO! ((Hi)) her nose looks so much better. It almost looks like a normal nose. I notice that she still has hair missing from her back leg joints. But I think the area by her tail is almost completely healed.

Sharon, thank you so much for stopping by and saying a few words. I appreciate it so much, and I feel like through me, she appreciates it. It's like through me I can convey to her that many, many people already like her and would never hurt her. I take that with me when I go in to see her.

Thank you all.

ETA I just saw a few people's posts I had missed...@doberman @PattyCo @ringo865 @cmd2014 thank you so much for stopping in and checking in on us. <3

Last edited:

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Any update on your kitty, CJ? I think about the two of you a lot.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any update on your kitty, CJ? I think about the two of you a lot.

It was so awesome to sign on here after so long and see this message @LAJennifer. Thank you. :kiss2:

================================

UPDATE:

The little girl is doing great.

I wanted to get her healthy (she had two kinds of intestinal parasites poor thing) and give her a chance to feel more safe and relaxed so I could see more of who she is and continue to work with her.

Just like I suspected from day one she is sweet, and we are making progress every day. She is now much more comfortable coming out of her cage and walking around near me, and she does little things like rub her tail against my leg and sometimes her butt. ::) And she looks up lovingly at me and squeaks like a little mouse. ::) Not just at me - DH too. And if I put my hand by my side she will sometimes quickly come to it and put her nose to it, and then walks away just as quick.
5.gif
I don't force anything on her ever, so I leave my hand quiet and don't attempt to pet her. I know one day she will herself rub her head against my hand or somehow ask for more. So we're getting there, and I see a lot of promise for this girl in the right home.

So now that she's healthy and I know for a fact this little girl could do well indoors it is time to try to find her a forever home.

I put an ad together for her and plan to share it on as many websites as possible.

And of course, feel free to share it, and if you guys know of any person / family who would possibly be able to provide a good home for this little girl please let me know. Doesn't matter where - for the right home we'll have to figure out a way. (I wasn't sure about sharing the email address here - so just let me know if someone is interested).

These are some recent pictures of her (which I plan on using for her little ad). And I also have videos. :)

IMG_20170919_013050.jpg IMG_20171106_071837.jpg

Thank you guys so much. :kiss:

======================

Mousey is a pretty little girl that when she meows sounds like a little mouse. She was living on the streets and started out untrusting and scared but from day one her gentle and sweet nature was easy to see. And every day, little by little, she shows a little more affection, a little more trust, a little more happiness. She is now allowing her tail or a little part of her body to rub against our legs, and if we leave our hands relaxed and to our side she will sometimes quickly touch her nose to them ♥ She loves batting toys around and sometimes shows joy by shaking her little tail, which looks funny in an adorable kind of way because she hasn't yet quite grown back all her hair at the base of her tail (from whatever caused the hair loss while she was living on the streets).

This little girl is FIV+ but is healthy, and just like many FIV kitties, it's possible she will live as long and healthy a life as any FIV- kitty. She's been spayed, dewormed, has her rabies shot, is microchipped, and her recent blood work came back perfect. She has been a little itchy (common with many cats) but has no fleas, so will take some exploring to see what might be causing the itchiness.

She would be the ideal companion for a person or family that would be able to give her an indoor-only home, lots of love, attention and patience and find it rewarding to see her continue to blossom. She would probably ideally really love having another FIV+ kitty to bond and play with because she was living amongst other cats on the street for so long, but she might do well as an only kitty too.*

Mousey is safe here where she is, and she gets love and attention, but she's alone and isolated in a bathroom, and she deserves so much more than that. :blackeye: It is time for her to have more.

So please send us an email and tell us a little more about you and your family. Mousey longs for an indoor-only forever home where she is loved and accepted and allowed to return the love in her own way and at her own pace. If you can give her that, and of course provide her with whatever care she may need should she ever feel under the weather, which is even more important for FIV kitties, this sweet little girl will finally be able to rest and never have to worry about being on the streets again. And she will reward you with so much.

*(According to my research FIV is *not* easily transmitted - it is mostly transmitted by bite wounds. So in homes where cats are properly introduced and get along, the chance of transmission by sharing food bowls, litter, and grooming is highly unlikely. So it is possible for FIV+ and FIV- cats to live together. If you want more information about this or about FIV in general, please ask and I will direct you to further information so you can decide for yourself.)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you for the update CJ! So glad to read Mousey is doing well :appl: She is a beautiful and sweet little girl. I really hope she finds her forever home soon. Thank you for all you’ve done for her, hugs to you and your dh.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you for the update CJ! So glad to read Mousey is doing well :appl: She is a beautiful and sweet little girl. I really hope she finds her forever home soon. Thank you for all you’ve done for her, hugs to you and your dh.

June! :kiss2: thank you so much! :kiss2: Always so nice to see you. (((Hugs to you too.))) Hope you and your DH and family are doing well.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd suggest creating a LT post so that people can contact you through that medium if they are interested in adopting Mousey.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 I just wanted to let you know I saw your post in missy's thread about you still grieving for Max (that was his name right?) I just wanted to send you a a warm and big hug. :blackeye:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd suggest creating a LT post so that people can contact you through that medium if they are interested in adopting Mousey.

Hi @PintoBean :wavey: How are you doing?

LT is Loupe Troup right (I'm probably misspelling it I just know I've seen that here before). So you think I should post that exact ad there?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@freezing_in_MO I know you'll enjoy seeing the update on the little girl. :))

How are you my friend?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ceej!!! So glad to see and hear the latest. She looks wonderful, so healthy and happy :mrgreen2::saint: and that is your doing. Hugs to all of you.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @PintoBean :wavey: How are you doing?

LT is Loupe Troup right (I'm probably misspelling it I just know I've seen that here before). So you think I should post that exact ad there?
Yup LT is looptroupe. I think placing the ad there is purrrfect!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ! So happy the sweet kitty is doing well under your loving care! You are amazing and thank you for doing all of this for her!!! (((HUGS))) to you and Mousey!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

CJ--your little Miss is so pretty! Your generosity and kindness is really wonderful!

cheers--Sharon

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ceej!!! So glad to see and hear the latest. She looks wonderful, so healthy and happy :mrgreen2::saint: and that is your doing. Hugs to all of you.

Hi Azstonie! :kiss2:

Thank you for always having a kind word of encouragement for me and this kitty.

(((Hugs back to you)))

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ! So happy the sweet kitty is doing well under your loving care! You are amazing and thank you for doing all of this for her!!! (((HUGS))) to you and Mousey!

Thanks missy :kiss2:

Now comes the hard part as you know. sad :((

Keeping my fingers crossed. :pray:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

CJ--your little Miss is so pretty! Your generosity and kindness is really wonderful!

cheers--Sharon

Thanks Sharon :kiss2:

This little girl made it easy to want to care for her.

There were moments when I thought maybe I had not done the right thing not releasing her back into the community. But I am so glad I listened to my instincts. She has to have been someone's kitty at some point a long time ago. What happened, we'll never know.

But I can hope and pray that one day soon she will be able to be somewhere looking out a window, totally relaxed and feeling loved.

I hope I can make this happen for her.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys I'm going to create a graphic for her to share on Facebook...which picture of her do you like best / think she looks cutest / friendliest, etc.?

I know her personality and how sweet she is but I want to make sure the picture conveys that to someone who doesn't know her.

1. IMG_20171106_071837.jpg

2. IMG_20170919_013050.jpg

3. Or neither, and I should find another one?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I just created a listing on LT - I feel a little funny about it because I know it's supposed to be for gems/jewelry.

But I know you guys frequent that forum so I'm sure it's OK.

Plus I guess this little girl is a little bit of a gem. ::)

Whatever you guys can do to help spread the word about Mousey, we would so appreciate it. :pray: Missy, I know you had asked all your contacts a while back, but if you're OK with asking again...maybe some situations have changed. :pray:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 I just wanted to let you know I saw your post in missy's thread about you still grieving for Max (that was his name right?) I just wanted to send you a a warm and big hug. :blackeye:

Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts CJ. I am still heartbroken, and miss Max terribly.

I am however, overjoyed to see how well Mousey is doing. What a sweetie!!! Never doubt your instincts. You have saved her life and I can't believe how much she has come out of her shell. Love really is this world's greatest miracle. I so hope that you are able to find her a loving forever home.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts CJ. I am still heartbroken, and miss Max terribly.

I am however, overjoyed to see how well Mousey is doing. What a sweetie!!! Never doubt your instincts. You have saved her life and I can't believe how much she has come out of her shell. Love really is this world's greatest miracle. I so hope that you are able to find her a loving forever home.

cmd, please feel free to come into this thread any time you want and share pictures of Max or say whatever you're feeling in your heart.

And yes, she's really coming out of her shell and allowing herself to trust. It's the most heartwarming thing ever.

Me too. :pray:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I just created a listing on LT - I feel a little funny about it because I know it's supposed to be for gems/jewelry.

But I know you guys frequent that forum so I'm sure it's OK.

Plus I guess this little girl is a little bit of a gem. ::)

Whatever you guys can do to help spread the word about Mousey, we would so appreciate it. :pray: Missy, I know you had asked all your contacts a while back, but if you're OK with asking again...maybe some situations have changed. :pray:

CJ I'm on it. You are doing such an amazing job with Mousey and she is looking so good and healthy and happy. You're a doll CJ and I am hoping a wonderful family/person wants to adopt her. I am reaching out to everyone I know...fingers crossed. And thank you for saving her life and giving her a warm loving home until her permanent family comes along. (((Hugs))).

cmd2014 I am so sorry Max is gone and I know how much you miss him. (((Hugs))).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ I'm on it. You are doing such an amazing job with Mousey and she is looking so good and healthy and happy. You're a doll CJ and I am hoping a wonderful family/person wants to adopt her. I am reaching out to everyone I know...fingers crossed. And thank you for saving her life and giving her a warm loving home until her permanent family comes along. (((Hugs))).

cmd2014 I am so sorry Max is gone and I know how much you miss him. (((Hugs))).

missy - I am sending you the biggest hug right now. Thank you so much.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys hoping anyone familiar / experienced with FIV is around...

I just went in there to play with her and she sounds congested.

She is eating and playing like usual but I can hear her breathing.

Is this an emergency situation because of her FIV or can I wait until I get a regular vet appointment.

And in the meantime what can I do for her. I can't run the shower to get steam in there. But maybe i can bring in something, anything with hot water? I'd have to be super careful but I would of course stay in there with her.

I've asked a couple of people on FB that seem experienced with FIV too, waiting to hear from them.

This has just made me realize I am NOT prepared - I don't know what, for her, is an emergency, compared to a non FIV cat. I'm worried.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi just wanted to give an update...when I went back just 10 minutes later to see her she was not sounding as bad. If I had not heard her moments before I would have "missed" the congestion, although she did sneeze once.

I brought a pot of steaming water in there with me and just sat with her until it cooled.

She was playful, affectionate, she ate her treats no problem, her usual self.

I may do another pot in a few hours, and I'll call the vet tomorrow and make an appointment to bring her in.

I also took the opportunity to wipe down all the surfaces, including the floor, to remove any dust / litter that may be clinging on.

Someone on an FIV support forum said to see a vet within 1-2 days, that 3 days is too long - so I will use that to judge whether the appointment is suitable or whether I need to take her to an emergency vet.

Thanks guys - just wanted to update you - I'll still take any ideas/suggestions

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a cat that came with an upper resp virus. Up until 2 and coincidentally when she stopped growing she would periodically get head congestion and breathe through her mouth. A couple vet visits confirmed it was just head congestion thankfully and her lungs were clear. I noticed a week or two after we first got her the two other cats sneezed a little for up to a week. Coincidence? Idk...

Our latest addition also gets head congestion. I'm not sure if she came with it or got it from her sister.

A vet visit is worth it to verify that it's nothing affecting the lungs.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Pinto.

The vet visit is a yes for sure, no matter what...

I am going to call as soon as they open which is in a few hours.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results