shape
carat
color
clarity

need ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2babycarrots

Shiny_Rock
I have an emerald cut amethyst that is approx. 1.5 carats that I would like to have reset in either a ring or a pendant. I am unsure how to have it reset because it is chipped on the top. Is there a setting I could use that might cover or distract from the chip? I was thinking about a halo or bezel. The stone is probably worth only a nickel but it is the only present my parents ever gave me.

I would love to see pics of colored gems that have been reset from dated settings into something nice. Any ideas would help! Thanks in advance!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would love to see a pic of the stone in order to give you setting ideas. Also, do you think the chip could be polished out or maybe the stone could be recut??

2babycarrots

Shiny_Rock
Great idea! I never thought about having recut. Brilliant!

I can''t post pics. I''ve tried and even sent pics to the admin of this site but they still wouldn''t work. rats.

I''ll look around and see if I can find similar pics that I can post.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Recutting might not be cost-effective with your stone (i.e. might cost more than the stone) so maybe a more elaborate setting would be best. I can''t find a picture now, but those antique settings come to mind, that were made out of (let''s call it) sculpted metal and had iregular floral motifs going around the stone. Something like that could effectively hide a chip. Even a well placed prong would do, if the chip is somewhere close to the middle of that side - so that you can place another one across it. Bezel is also a good idea as well as flush setting.

Since you say it''s a nice memory, I''d set it in a pendant. That way it would take a lot less abuse from being worn, and I''d also be concerned about that chip becoming a weak spot, which is not something you want in a ring stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results