shape
carat
color
clarity

need ideas..please help ps family!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
hi everyone,
this is my first post ever here on ps, i''ve been reading and studying questions and answers here on all the forums for maybe a month now. And i must say i feel totally ridiculous and kinda embarrassed that i knew nothing about diamond and setting buying. all i thought was hummm when i was ready, for my big proposal lets go to zales or kay''s in the mall to get a ring..ohhh boy was i wrong!!, god must have been watching me to help me find this wounderful place called ps! ..now i know all about if f vsi vs2 vvsa vvs2 etc... not all but i''m hoping my new ps family will help me find the best bang for my buck to find the engagement ring that my soon to be fiancee will be sooo happy with....ok so here it goes.....my big proposal was to be next week...but things are changing..we just bought our tickets to hawaii lastnight for out yearly hawaii trip...so now i''m going to propose in the lovely romantic island of oahu!! in june!!! so that gives me alot of time to chat with my ps family to get ideas , pics, prices, etc... for the engagment ring. i have a budget around 5000-6000 maybe close to 7 if i stretch it..which would be my last choice..just beacuse i''m still saving for the hawaii vacation.. she like''s the cathedral'' style look for the setting..with the pave'' side stones i prefer platnium just because my gf has a skin condition and her skin is really sensitive. on the stone what do you guys think?.. the ring will be sized to around 9 and three quarters to almost a 10..so i want a diamond to look real nice on her finger not to be lost.. so i need a diamond size that will look great that wont break my budget thats right for her finger size.. i was looking for a rb vs1 or vs2 or maybe a si1...so ps family suggestions will be greatly appreciated pics, also would help..

but before anyone answers to this topic is my budget even realistic?..
i just don''t want to feel embarassed if it''s not just cause i was asking for alot.

thanks again ps family hope to hear from you guys soon
totally excited what we come up with

evaldez.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Hi Evaldez,

May I ask if your budget of $5~6k maybe 7k includes the cost of the setting?

A setting like what you described in platinium can easily cost up to $1~1.5k with side stones, and if you need to include the setting in your budget you might be looking at a $3.5~S$5.5k center stone..

At this price range you can definitely find some really nice stones, but you need to balance out between size, colour and clarity to get exactly what you want..

For example, based on your input on clarity requirements, the above assumptions on your budget, and taking a range of D~F colored stones, you can probably find some nice stones around the 0.8~1 Carat size range (approx 6.2~6.5mm dia)..

If you do not need such a high colorless grade, you can go as high as 1.2 Carat (approx 6.8mm dia) with a near colorless grade of G~I with everything else the same..

Have you and your gf went been trying out stones at any of your local B&M stores? Do you have any idea what size and color stones she might be looking at specifically? Any inputs like this can help make the search more efficient.

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
hi julien,
thanks for the response, i''ve just finished viewing your recommendations..wow looks all great! but kinda over my budget, my budget was for 5-6 thats including the setting and center... is this realistic?

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
hi blastdoor,
thankyou for your response, yes i''ve checked out couple b&m stores around my area..and they showed me stones around 0.86-090
ex ex ex si2 rb for almost close to 5000, ive seen online venders like wf and gog with prices i think are cheaper then a b&m store. ..oh and yes my budget is stone and setting together.. my girlfriends ring size will be around 9 and three quarters to size 10.. so i want a center stone that would look awsome on her finger and not lost because its too small.... and still fall around my budget.. for clarity i will ask you guys for help, i love that nice clear white look with lots of fire! and eye clean..something to wow her!! is this realistic?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 3:59:46 AM
Author: evaldez
hi blastdoor,
thankyou for your response, yes i''ve checked out couple b&m stores around my area..and they showed me stones around 0.86-090
ex ex ex si2 rb for almost close to 5000, ive seen online venders like wf and gog with prices i think are cheaper then a b&m store. ..oh and yes my budget is stone and setting together.. my girlfriends ring size will be around 9 and three quarters to size 10.. so i want a center stone that would look awsome on her finger and not lost because its too small.... and still fall around my budget.. for clarity i will ask you guys for help, i love that nice clear white look with lots of fire! and eye clean..something to wow her!! is this realistic?
Welcome evaldez!

Julie and Blast have given you great advice, what I would say to maximize the size for the budget, consider SI clarities which are verified eyeclean by the vendor you are working with, get a great cut and maybe look at H or I colour ( GIA/ AGS graded) and that will also allow the max bang for the buck.

And don''t feel bad in being new to this, we all had to start somewhere and you are doing just fine!
35.gif

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
thankyou lorelei,
yea my budget was a strict 5-6 and seven for my last option.. do you think 1carat would get lost on a size 10 finger?..i was trying for setting and center with my budget.. i''m also looking for cathedral style setting with pave side stones..in PLATNIUM ..am i dreaming or can this happen?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 4:41:51 AM
thankyou lorelei,
yea my budget was a strict 5-6 and seven for my last option.. do you think 1carat would get lost on a size 10 finger?..i was trying for setting and center with my budget.. i'm also looking for cathedral style setting with pave side stones..in PLATNIUM ..am i dreaming or can this happen?
I don't think a carat would get lost no, I have 8.5 size fingers and a carat looked nice on me, so I think it would on a larger finger still.

Take a look at Julie's suggestions, also a halo can offer another way to increase the face up visual size of the ring, so ask your GF if she likes that style.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought, but have you considered another shape of stone, such as a pear, oval, or marquise? I only ask because those shaped tend to have a little bit more "spread", or finger coverage. I don''t know if your girlfriend specifically asked for a round.... I thought I would throw this idea out there since you were concerned about the stone looking too small on her finger.
41.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hi Evaldez

I have big fingers and I know what you are talking about when you say you don''t want the stone not to get lost on the finger. What I did was get a round diamond and set it in a halo. The diamond alone looked lost on my sz 7.5 but now with the diamond set in a halo, it looks just right. Do you think your girlfriend would like a halo setting? If she would then this is an avenue I would suggest you look into.

GL
36.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Oh I forgot to say, in order for me to get the size stone I wanted I got an H, SI2 and it''s eye clean and beautiful. There are many SI stones that are so worth it. That is def. a way to help with your budget

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Hi Evaldez,

As many others have suggested, I think a Halo setting is a good and beautiful way to "upsize" the center.. and being a noob myself, here's some pics of a halo to give you a better idea..

i chose a color stone for the smaller pic to distinguish where the center finishes and the halo starts.. it also give a rough idea how a halo looks on the finger...

hope these are useful as references..

*btw, these are not my pics or pieces, I downloaded them from the internet for reference purposes..
3.gif

halo samples.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice examples Blast!!

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 9:11:41 AM
Author: Lorelei
Nice examples Blast!!

I was helped and its a wonderful feeling.. so now as much as i can i would like to help.. and i think this is the best way for me to show appreciation for all those who have helped me.. yeah!!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 9:16:34 AM
Author: blastdoor

Date: 2/9/2009 9:11:41 AM
Author: Lorelei
Nice examples Blast!!

I was helped and its a wonderful feeling.. so now as much as i can i would like to help.. and i think this is the best way for me to show appreciation for all those who have helped me.. yeah!!
9.gif
Its much appreciated Blast!!!
35.gif

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with palladium, not the price of platinum, but also no allergic reaction.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 10:36:24 AM
Author: motownmama
I would go with palladium, not the price of platinum, but also no allergic reaction.

I think you can get an allergic reaction to palladium, there is a thread about it atm probably safest to stick to platinum.

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
ohhh my,

my new ps family is awsome i''m getting soooo much feed back in less then a day i posted...wow i''m amazed and so greatful that everyone is so nice and very very helpful..thankyou so much guys....ok soo..pllleease don''t get mad guy''s but....
the halo setting wasn''t something i was looking for but i greatly appreciate all the feedback..i was looking for something like what lorelei sent the cathedral style with pave''...what about center stone you guys...im scared as heck to purchase a diamond online.. just because i can''t see or feel the fire and glamore of these stones in person but....from looking over ps i''ve heard many good things about online vendors...i''ve been looking a gog and wf sites and they have really strong reputations...
also i''m looking for maybe a 1 carat f-g vs1-vs2 or even a si1 if its eye clean with lots of fire... and with the setting i described i''m excited for the feed back be back on to check when i get on lunch at 12:45 thanks you guys

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
oh sooory it was julien that sent the cathedral style rings thanks julien! and thanks everyone for all the feed back..

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 11:58:33 AM
ohhh my,

my new ps family is awsome i''m getting soooo much feed back in less then a day i posted...wow i''m amazed and so greatful that everyone is so nice and very very helpful..thankyou so much guys....ok soo..pllleease don''t get mad guy''s but....
the halo setting wasn''t something i was looking for but i greatly appreciate all the feedback..i was looking for something like what lorelei sent the cathedral style with pave''...what about center stone you guys...im scared as heck to purchase a diamond online.. just because i can''t see or feel the fire and glamore of these stones in person but....from looking over ps i''ve heard many good things about online vendors...i''ve been looking a gog and wf sites and they have really strong reputations...
also i''m looking for maybe a 1 carat f-g vs1-vs2 or even a si1 if its eye clean with lots of fire... and with the setting i described i''m excited for the feed back be back on to check when i get on lunch at 12:45 thanks you guys
Don''t be silly, we''re not going to get mad at you! We were just trying to help with the coverage factor. But we will have no problem helping you find what you want. Except, what you are wanting, is not going to work with your budget. a 1 ct. G VS2 will run 7000.00-8000.00 for top cut. Even a slight lowering of cut quality is still going to eat up much of your budget.

I would suggest really considering the I-J range, and possibly looking for a very good cut, not top notch. Now before you think yellow, understand that well cut stones will mask some color/warmth, they will not look at all like a "mall J" can. Here''s a thread that will give you some idea. (unless you know your gal is highly color sensitive)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
How about this one?

1 carat (6.40 x 6.44 x 3.96)
G VS2
Cut - GIA Excellent, Pol / Sym - Ex / VG
Table - 56%
Depth - 61.7&
Crown - 35.5o
Pavillion - 40.6o
HCA - 1.3 Ex (TIC)
WhiteFlash Price - $5,364.00

My concern is that the GIA cert shows crystals and cloud inclusions in the center table area, but you should really check with the vendor. At VS2 this might not be a real concern.

If the clarity works out, this plus the setting Julie recommended at $1,025.00 would cost you $6,389.00 for the entire ring. However, this is not an in-house diamond so its being offered by a few different vendors, you can compare prices as well as setting designs to choose who you like to deal with.

Here's another one, also available from various vendors.

1 carat (6.48 x 6.51 x 3.94)
G SI1 (ETA: always check with the vendor for eye cleanliness)
Cut - GIA Excellent, Pol / Sym - VG / Ex
Table - 55%
Depth - 60.7&
Crown - 32o
Pavillion - 41o
HCA - 0.8 Ex (BIC)
WhiteFlash Price - $4,688.00 ($5,713.00 with the same setting)

Honestly I have not seen a BIC stone before so I'm not really sure how that looks, maybe the real experts here can give some insight on this as well as the clarity of the other stone, or any other comments in general.

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
julien,
do you think theres a big size diffrence in a 0.86 0.90 and a 1.00 you think i can get away withe a 0.90 higher quality stone with my budget.. budget is 5-6000 including center an setting.. so what i''m trying to is can any one tell the diffrence from a size 0.90 from a 1.00

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
we on PS just tend to fight for the last .1 cts that can be eeked out of the budget.
37.gif
This is usually driven by the female desire to have large sparklies.
9.gif
It just really depends on your gf and what she thinks is a good size for both of you.

This is budget-friendly: http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=413

I guess I didn't really comment on the H SI1 because it seemed like it was at the high end of your budget. It's a great stone, though.

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
hey blastdoor ,
im going to inquire about the first diamond of the 2 you sent your right i''ll ask the vendor myself...man all of you are helping me sooo much im so greatly blessed to of found all of you, you guys are awsome and blast, the total might even fall too because chris on white flash says if i do a wire transfer i get a 2% discount and i could use it for both setting and stone!!!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 3:29:36 AM
hey blastdoor ,
im going to inquire about the first diamond of the 2 you sent your right i'll ask the vendor myself...man all of you are helping me sooo much im so greatly blessed to of found all of you, you guys are awsome and blast, the total might even fall too because chris on white flash says if i do a wire transfer i get a 2% discount and i could use it for both setting and stone!!!!
Hi evaldez - I could be wrong, but if you mention you're a PS member that discount could be slightly higher.
If that already includes PS discount, pls disregard me !

Also, I ditto Lorelei on looking at I-J range of colours. Most people can not tell the difference from G to I in equally well cut stones. Sincerely, unless you know your girl is really colour sensitive for a fact, its a great way to max budget.

For rexample, I have an ideal cut K and its still white as can be. And not one person has ever guessed close to its true colour IRL, even jewellers etc..
It won't look yellow
1.gif

Let me know if you'd like to see pics, but you should check out that link that Lorelei posted
1.gif

I also second that stone Julie posted, a great option!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results