shape
carat
color
clarity

Need ideas for a reset

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I rarely venture onto this forum, so hello :wavey:

Two years ago, I posted a ring my grandmother gave me. It is a ring she bought in Thailand or Egypt (first she said Thailand, this weekend she said Egypt...she's 87...;)) with 21 rubies of about 1.8 - 2mm diameter. I'm not 100% sure the rubies are real, but it doesn't make a difference to me. I'd like to wear the ring, but as cool as the current setting is, I never wear it because it doesn't fit my style and it gets caught on clothes all the time. So, I'd like to re-set the stones.

I could reset them in an eternity ring -- I would probably have a couple left over.

Are there any other ideas out there what I can do with these stones? A pendant? What do you think?

ruby ring 1.JPG

ruby ring 2.JPG

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Could you somehow have just the top part of the ring removed and turn that into a pendant? That way you could still have the original look? I don't know if it's possible, but I think it would look really cool like that.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh hell, nevermind. I didn't see the side view. That won't work. OK, I'm out of ideas. It's very cool though.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I suspect that your grandma was right the first time when she said she bought it in Thailand - it is a Thai Princess Ring (you can google it and images of similar rings will pop up).

The stones are most likely real thai rubies- they were a very poplular ring style in the 1960's. If you can get the prongs fixed so that they are less "catchy" and you enjoy a bold piece, I think it is a cool ring with a fun history.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boy, it looks so beautiful. It has antique look to it. I can not give you an advise because I like it so much.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to all who responded. It seems the prevailing opinion is I should keep the ring as is. Trouble is, I haven't worn it out once in the two year since it was given to me. It's sad it's just sitting in its box in my bedside drawer. I will think about it some more and see if I don't want to wear it once in a while.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I don't blame you. I'd want to reset the rubies too. An eternity band is always a possibility. Add some diamonds and you could get two! You could make some chandelier earrings or hoops depending on what you like to wear. Cluster earrings are another possibility. Add a contrasting center stone (yellow or white) and you could probably get 4 clusters and could put them on a necklace or make dangling cluster earrings. The possibilities are almost endless with lots of little stones.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I would be torn as to what to do. If it were mine, a big part of me would like to keep it intact so as to remember the history of the piece. That has got to be worth more than the value of the stones.

But then, anything that is simply historic and not enjoyed doesn't quite have a purpose.

Can it be remade into a more updated and better crafted version of the same thing? Would there be a point to that? I would think that might be more special than just using it in parts.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don't blame you...my late grandmother also gave me a similar ring, and it just was not my style at all. I wanted to reset the gemstones (it was a multi-gemstone ring with small emeralds, rubies, sapphires, etc.), but my parents didn't want me to destroy the original antique setting, so it's sitting at my parents' house untouched. Such a shame.

Anyway, I'd scrap the setting for the gold (which will get you a pretty penny these days) and put the rubies in a half-eternity or 3/4-eternity ring, depending on how big your finger is and how many rubies there are.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of an eternitiy ring and or dangle earrings.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would hire a good photographer to take a lot of pictures and you could write something about the history of the ring, and these could be framed to keep a good memory of the ring for yourself and your family. Then I would make jewelery out of it that you'll actually wear. If you have 2 daughters, you could make a ring for yourself and one each for them. I think it's nice to document and then do something special with sentimental pieces of jewelry.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
I like pregcurious' idea a lot! It would be nice to have it cleaned and then take some glamour shots (maybe with your grandma?) before taking it apart.

Maybe you could take the "history factor" one step further, and re-set it into another heirloom type piece that echoes the thai princess theme... an updated pair of earrings or several rings that suit you better but have some thai inspiration? Sally might be a good person to have set the stones since her work is organic and asian-inspired.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of your responses + great advice. I like many of your ideas: recording the historic item on photos, doing an updated version of the original thing, eternity ring, dangle earrings... lots to think about! Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results