shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Flux

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure how I got here, but I decided to join the forums here, because I need some help.

I have to make a decision on a Princess cut diamond in the next few days, and I''m pulling my hair out, on which diamond to pick. The sales rep I''m using online, is suggesting I go with choice #3 , because it offers me the best BANG for my buck. She was telling me about the dreaded Depth/table issue, and that''s where I''m stuck. I need some expert opinions on this matter. Thanks in advanced!

1. Diamond Information:

Shape:
Princess
Carat Weight:
Color:
F
Clarity:
VS1
Graded By:
GIA
Cut Grade:
Premium
Detailed Diamond Information:
Depth:
72.7%
Table:
71%
Girdle:
Thin to Slightly Thick
Culet:
None
Polish:
Excellent
Symmetry:
Very Good
Fluorescence:
Medium
Measurements:
5.53 x 5.53 x 4.02
Length / Width Ratio:

2.Diamond Information:

Shape:
Princess
Carat Weight:
Color:
E
Clarity:
VS1
Graded By:
GIA
Cut Grade:
Premium
Depth:
73.7%
Table:
75%
Girdle:
Medium
Culet:
None
Polish:
Very Good
Symmetry:
Very Good
Fluorescence:
None
Measurements:
5.57 x 5.36 x 3.95
Length / Width Ratio:

3.Diamond Information:

Shape:
Princess
Carat Weight:
Color:
F
Clarity:
VS2
Graded By:
GIA
Cut Grade:
Premium
Depth:
73.4%
Table:
71%
Girdle:
Medium
Culet:
None
Polish:
Very Good
Symmetry:
Very Good
Fluorescence:
None
Measurements:
5.80 x 5.63 x 4.13
Length / Width Ratio:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no such thing as a depth/table issue. It is an oversimplification of very complex matters. It is oversimplified to the point where it is meaningless.

For example, there are a lot of people in line to buy something. There are two lines, green and yellow. You will get green widgets if you get in the green line, and yellow wadgets if you get in the yellow line. Oh, and the cost is 5000. Since you don't know what a widget or wadget is, you either get into a random line because a widget or wadget is better than none at all! Or, you decide you like green better than yellow. Or you like the sound of the word "wadget" better than a "widget." Or you take 5000 and buy something that you really want.

So why don't you take your money and buy a product that you know something about? Vendors who provide pictures of the stones is the credited place to start.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pictures please. I would not buy any fancy cut stone like a princess from a vendor who does not provide pictures because the stats just don't tell the whole story. Better yet is a vendor who provides ASET pictures.

Flux

Rough_Rock
Am I breaking any forum rules, if I say who the online company is?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what company is it?

Flux

Rough_Rock
The company is Adiamor. They don''t have actual pictures of these diamonds, because I''m told they are a drop shipper?

While waiting for a reply to my thread, I found the "search" feature here, and I read a few things about Adiamor.

I picked Adiamor, cause i fell in love with a particular setting they have. Now obviously I can go elsewhere to get the diamond, but it;s coming down to "crunch" time for me. I plan on getting engaged on April 3rd, which doesn''t give me much room to play.

I also picked Adiamor because of their return Policy, and did a "years worth" of research on this company. Obviously there isn''t a company on the market who is going to have 100% positive feedback.

I''m open to suggestions, and if I need to copy and paste anything from that website (regarding the 3 diamonds I listed) let me know.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry but I would not buy a non-round stone from a drop shipper. These are the vendors I have used and trust:
www.goodoldgold.com
www.whiteflash.com

Others like and trust:
www.jamesallen.com
www.engagementringsdirect.com
www.pearlmansjewelers.com

There's also Wink (Infinity diamonds) but I can never remember his new url.

If you can find something that they already have in-house that has undergone various testing for proven light performance, you'll be able to make your early April dateline.

Flux

Rough_Rock
Whitflash has links to Adiamor & Blue NIle..you might want to check your link.

Goodoldgold doesn''t even have 1 Princess diamond in my search criteria.

LIke I said, I''m open to getting the diamond elsewhere, so Im open to suggestions.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try and find an AGS0 princess stone from them, they are a safer bet.

Flux

Rough_Rock
OK stone cold..you lost me on that one..lol.

You have to "dumb it down" for me..not sure what you mean.

Flux

Rough_Rock
Chrono -

I also checked out engagementrings direct, and pearlmans jewelers, and they both don''t have favorable Return Policies for my liking. One is 14 days, and the other is subject to a 5% restocking fee for credit card purchases.

I appreciate the links though...I have one more to check out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash has in house AND virtual diamonds. They can call in the same stones as Adiamor from the virtual database and run a Sarin and ASET and take pictures, etc. The same as GOG. However, that would take time. Go with their in house ACA princess or Expert selection which are known sparklers. Searching for princess with AGS0 certs would be another avenue.

Flux

Rough_Rock
JamesAllen seems to have an awesome return policy, but their Diamond prices are a tad high. James Allen seems very comparable to Adiamor in other ways though.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loosen your search criteria

Breathtaking:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5532/

AGS is the lab that issues a grading report, and 0 is a reference to the cut grade for an ideal stone. AGS0: stones that AGS says are ideal.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2009 9:12:39 PM
Author: Flux
Whitflash has links to Adiamor & Blue NIle..you might want to check your link.

Goodoldgold doesn''t even have 1 Princess diamond in my search criteria.

LIke I said, I''m open to getting the diamond elsewhere, so Im open to suggestions.
So sorry I mis-spelled. It''s fixed now: www.whiteflash.com

Flux

Rough_Rock
Ok Julie..here is a question for you or anyone else. I''ve always read it''s better to have a GIA report over anyone else''s report. GIA got drilled in my head from just about every Jewelry store I visited to talking with the online companies.

Is this a myth or is there some truth to it?

I think us "newbs" would benefit to knowing the truth on that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like AGS because they rate their stones based on performance (ASET). AGS cert stones also usually costs slightly more than GIA cert stones. Many consumers have only heard of GIA so I think that's why most jewellers only "push" GIA diamonds (plus the cost factor).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond sellers and labs have a symbiotic relationship. GIA is good for business, and business is good for GIA.

Now, clearly, this means that the word of jewelry store people doesn''t mean that much. This doesn''t mean that jewelry store people are liars... just that they have a bias.

However, we can look at a study! http://grading.pricescope.com/

As well, appraisers who look at AGS stones and people who own AGS stones have rarely complained about AGS grading.

AGS is very popular here because of their cut grade, which has done a lot to improve the performance of diamonds. Consumers and vendors of super-ideal diamonds like AGS because it gives third-party validation.

Flux

Rough_Rock
Good stuff Chrono!

I never realized how tough Diamond shopping can be. From reports to depth and table..this stuff makes my brain hurt.

There is lot''s of information on this forum to soak up..that''s for sure.

JasonFaber

Rough_Rock
Flux, the place you origionally aquired the info on those diamonds are not in house, they are at a vendor, as you can find them advertised at many other retailers. For instance, your #3 is at;

Solomon brothers: $3917
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/DiamondDetail.aspx?sku=IP421035&affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE

Whiteflash: $4322
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1954156.htm

Diamond Scaasi: $4412
http://www.dimendscaasi.com/diamonds/diamondDetail.asp?stockNum=IP421035

Anyhow, you cannot determine how good a fancy cut is just by the dimensions (except for AGS), although there are still general guidelines many people still use to choose Princess cut diamonds;

- Table: try and stay under 70%
- Depth: stay higher then the table but under 78%
- Symmetry/Polish: Very Good or better
- Color: Try and not go below H, as you might start seeing dark or yellowish if it is on a white setting
- Clarity: Must be at least eye clean (ratings don''t always tell you if it is)
- Retailer: Find one that has the full 30 day return policy with no restocking fee..... Very easy to find
- If spending more then $3k on a diamond, it is worth paying $70 to get an Aset scope and make sure you are happy with your purchase.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2009 10:19:34 PM
Good stuff Chrono!

I never realized how tough Diamond shopping can be. From reports to depth and table..this stuff makes my brain hurt.

There is lot''s of information on this forum to soak up..that''s for sure.
Definitely try www.highperformancediamonds.com they sell beautiful Infinity Princess and Wink is a great guy who would help you every step of the way.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2009 9:37:19 PM
Ok Julie..here is a question for you or anyone else. I've always read it's better to have a GIA report over anyone else's report. GIA got drilled in my head from just about every Jewelry store I visited to talking with the online companies.

Is this a myth or is there some truth to it?

I think us 'newbs' would benefit to knowing the truth on that.
With Princess, AGS are the only lab to grade these for cut at this time, so they are popular with many due to the strict standards these diamonds have to meet to get the AGS0 grade. GIA does not grade Princess for cut quality at this time. There are well cut GIA Princess available but it is best to select these from a trusted vendor who hand picks these for cut quality and beauty, who can also provide all the cut info and images on each diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results