shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with stray cat

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need your help with a stray cat I found last night.

I saw him wandering around our local Home Depot and what caught my eye about him is that he looked kind of small and appeared to be skittish (as in likely to get hit by a car).

It took me about 45 minutes to an hour of kneeling down on the floor next to my car for him to start getting closer and closer to me - and at one point was also rubbing against me. It took me about another hour and some food to get him (he did take some bites of ham straight from my hand) to come in the car.

I got him home to my garage, and he appeared fairly comfortable to come out and eat some food I had put out for him - at one point I was even holding the can, so he was very close to me. Still very skittish if I made any sudden moves but he seemed to be getting more and more comfortable around me.

But - here's the huge mistake I made - when DH got home, I had him come in to the garage - the cat freaked out and ended up getting himself stuck inside the underneath of the car - hanging upside down with one leg stuck, wailing uncontrollably because he couldn't get himself out. He ended up pulling himself up and into the car somehow but was so hidden and stuck we had to call the fire dept. to get him out - after about an hour and a half of doing everything including spraying water underneath the car and (plus removing some part of the car) they got him out.

Needless to say, he was pissed, scared, possibly in shock. He has been in the garage (we removed the car, that was the FIRST mistake I had made) since last night - at first he had found a spot behind some wood and was there for at least 5 or 6 hours - but then in the early morning he had moved to the highest point in the garage - on top of a 3-tier shelf. He has not come down to eat, drink, or go to the bathroom. I'm not even sure that he has slept.

I don't know what to do. The little trust I had built is seriously shattered. I've been going into the garage a few minutes at a time and talking to him gently but he just looks at me wide eyed. At one point I did get on a chair and extended the canned food pretty close to him - he doesn't hiss at me - he just looks at me. So I'm not sure if that's an indication that in time he will learn to trust me again.

I want him to eat and drink - and also I have to figure out how I'm going to get him to the vet. I was planning to take him there tomorrow to see if he is microchipped - and possibly run tests on him for HIV, etc. But I am so afraid to put him through yet another traumatic event.

I also do plan on looking around the lost pet sites today to see if he's someone's cat.

I hope you guys will have some advice for me - I just don't know what steps to take - thank you so much for any words of advice you can give me.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, man, CJ - that poor kitty! You're absolutely lovely to try to care for him.

I've never dealt with feral kitties, but I've adopted several who were various degrees of tame.

My suggestions would be to:

- put some tempting food and water out in the middle of the floor - eventually, he should be hungry enough to come down.

- maybe put a box out (with a cover, so he can hide and feel safe) with a hot water bottle and maybe a shirt you've worn in it, to get him used to your scent.

- definitely take him to the vet: you don't want to traumatize him, but their memories aren't all *that* good, and, frankly, it'll be more important to get him out of the cold and into a space where you can be sure he's eating, healthy, etc.

If it were me ... I'd give him a day or so to acclimate, and then I'd try to trap him to take him into the vet. But maybe call them and see what tips they have to offer? Perhaps they might have a mild sedative that you can dose the food with, to make it easier to trap him without alarming him?

lulu

Ideal_Rock
If the cat was truly feral I don't think you would have gotten close to him to begin with. It sounds like he's had contact with people
in the past. I think you have to give it more time and do just what you're doing. I think putting something like pet calm in his food might help.

You're a terrific person for trying to help this boy! Good luck!

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
My suggestion would be to see if you can get in contact with a cat (or pet) rescue organization in your area. We found a stray cat a couple months ago, and I'm lucky enough to work with a lady who helps run a cat rescue group. If you're willing to foster this cat, they may be able to provide a lot of assistance. This group paid for our stray's vetting, flea treatment, de-wormer for all of our cats, and has even given us donated food since we're fostering him. He was way underweight, but now that he's doing better, they're getting him into adoptions. They've been a great help to us.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sound like a very kind and patient person - thank you, for caring enough to worry for him :))

I absolutely agree that if he was a born and bred feral you would not have gotten close to him without losing plentiful quantities of skin, so I too think he has either no or not-unpleasant experiences with people. Definitely trap him and get him to the vet to get checked over and fixed, they often can (or can recommend places to) do this at a low expense. He'll most probably also have fleas and they might give him a dewormer.

Leaving food, water, a little litterbox (a cardboard box with a trashbag liner would do), and a warm cubby with an old shirt of yours should work wonders ::)

Would talk to some local shelters after you get him to the vet. They may or may not have room for him, but if you'd be willing to keep him for a time they often have large cages they will give you to get him acclimated to the indoor life. Based on how most of the non-feral strays in our old shelter reacted to being caught, I imagine you'll find he'll sleep away most of his time, and once he starts recovering he'll be the cuddliest creature in the world for a few weeks - that trait may or may not remain once he's up in top condition, sadly!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Put some dirt in the litter box - he may not know what to do with the litter. Just be patient and make sure he always has access to food and water. He will come around in time. Once he starts eating in your presence, then everyday move his food a little bit closer to you. Eventually he'll be eating right next to you.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1292182012|2794985 said:
You sound like a very kind and patient person - thank you, for caring enough to worry for him :))

I absolutely agree that if he was a born and bred feral you would not have gotten close to him without losing plentiful quantities of skin, so I too think he has either no or not-unpleasant experiences with people. Definitely trap him and get him to the vet to get checked over and fixed, they often can (or can recommend places to) do this at a low expense. He'll most probably also have fleas and they might give him a dewormer.

Leaving food, water, a little litterbox (a cardboard box with a trashbag liner would do), and a warm cubby with an old shirt of yours should work wonders ::)

Would talk to some local shelters after you get him to the vet. They may or may not have room for him, but if you'd be willing to keep him for a time they often have large cages they will give you to get him acclimated to the indoor life. Based on how most of the non-feral strays in our old shelter reacted to being caught, I imagine you'll find he'll sleep away most of his time, and once he starts recovering he'll be the cuddliest creature in the world for a few weeks - that trait may or may not remain once he's up in top condition, sadly!

Agree with Yssie 100%.

Cats will naturally seek out high vantage points to relax. That's where I would place the hidey-hole cubby with your scent. I would place the food and water on a lower shelf and the litter on the ground (naturally).

I wouldn't try to make contact with the cat for a day or two. Just put the cat necessities in the garage and leave him alone. After a couple days, if you have a few hours to kill, grab a book, some warm clothes and a can of tuna. Sit in the garage reading closeish to the can of tuna (if you can stand the smell) and read. Wait for him to make the first move and then ignore it. He'll check you out, and probably run off and hide for a bit. Then he'll come check you out again. Let him set the boundaries as far as physical contact. If he's a snuggle bug that's great! If he's skittish let him know you mean no harm and are comfortable in his presence, eventually he'll be comfortable with yours. By Friday, I would imagine he's warmed up to you and perhaps your family if they repeat this process, enough to be handled long enough to be brought to a vet.

Good luck and thanks for looking out for the little critters :D

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, guys, all your responses brought tears to my eyes - it feels so good to be able to share this with all you - I know what a bunch of animal lovers there are here on PS! And I've "seen" many of you do similar things for animals before.

Wanted to give you guys an update:

A few hours after I posted, I went into the garage and I saw him close to the litter - as soon as he saw me, he hid an ran and has now been hiding behind some flower pots. I went in a few times after that basically just for him to see me and left another bowl of food. But I think the best thing I can do for him is give him some time completely alone, rather than visit every few hours. As much as I want to check in on him and make sure he's OK I think it's the only way he'll come out. Again, I feel like it's two steps forward and then 5 steps back when he sees me.

The good news is, one tiny corner of the litter was wet :appl:

After that, I set up two cubbies for him to hide in - one high, one low - each with a towel and one of my worn gym socks (poor guy!) I really hope he comes out from his hiding place soon so he can be on the soft towel and a little warmer.

It is really, really windy outside and it's supposed to get very cold over the next few days so even though this situation isn't perfect I am SO glad he has shelter. I am going to cover the vents in the garage tonight.

I think I'll wait a couple of days for him to get a little more acclimated and then I'll take him to the vet - I know some of you think I should take him right away, but this feels right to me. I kind of want to hear though, again, if there is any reason why this is wrong or dangerous to do - I do want to hear it if I need to. I do realize that if he is microchipped, then that's an additional couple of days the family who's looking for him doesn't know he's been found and safe - for some reason I have this instinct that he isn't anybody's - is that silly? And I'm not saying any of this as an excuse to keep him - I have an older cat and wouldn't do that to him at this point. I did post his picture in a couple of lost/found pet sites.

Thank you also for the suggestions re: rescue groups, etc. - I do intend to get him tested, etc., so if I can get help with that, I'd welcome it.

Thanks again - I hope to keep you updated. Any other suggestions also let me know!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, as others have said, the kitty isn't feral. We had a couple feral cats and after months and months of trying to woo them with cat food, cat nip, and offers of cuddling, neither still would come close to me. We left food out and everything and they would run up and eat when we were inside the house and then immediatetly split. Often you can tell if a cat is feral b/c he/she will have one ear clipped (like a little corner clipped off) indicating that he/she is feral and has been spayed/neutered.

Good luck and I hope all works out with your kitty/situation.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ if he's not obviously injured, bleeding from any orifices, or dripping with snot I really think it's fine to wait a couple of days, though I wouldn't put it off for longer than that (if for no other reason than that honestly, fleas are incredibly difficult to get rid of once you've got them in your house - and they can get into carpets and rugs you might have stored there all too easily :knockout: ). Check the litterbox a couple of times a day and make sure nothing strange is going on, check that some of the food and water is gone...

If you have any wet food on hand that would be preferable to only dry, especially if you warm it up a bit by mixing in some hot water - it has more water, and you'll want to make sure he's getting enough even if he's picky about what water he will drink straight - hard/soft/warm/cold, one of ours will completely ignore the bowl until there are a few soggy food particles floating round :rolleyes:

ETA: possibly strange q - do you know for sure that he is a 'he'? I ask because ours was turned out to be a 'she' - and a very pregnant 'she' at that, though you'd never have guessed given how skinny she was!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another update...

I had started getting really worried because he was behind the flower pots for hours and hours without moving/wanting to come out...but I just went to look and he's walking around! He came right up to the window to look at me and wasn't sure if that would be a good thing or if it would bug him out so I stayed there just a few seconds and left.

Yay, he's walking around! I'll check in a little while whether he's been drinking or eating - but I am pretty confident he has. It really seems like he needs a few hours of calming down after he get startled.

MC - thanks - yeah, he wasn't like that at all - I mean he's skittish, but he WAS very much warming up to me. The one thing I noticed is that I could only pet him briefly, and only from behind. If he saw my hand coming, he did not like that at all.

Yssie - no, I have no idea if it's a he! He just looks like a he so that's what I've been saying...I don't believe he has fleas because I haven't observed him scratching himself obsessively - but then again I 'm not sure how a cat with fleas would behave...but you're right the last thing I want is to bring fleas into the house or to my cat. Any advice on this in the meantime?

And yes, I've been feeding him wet food but I also have a bowl of dry out there for him.

I'm so happy he's come out from behind his hiding space! :appl:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and one more question...

We were thinking of getting a food gift basket for the firefighters (there was 3 of them) - we were thinking of spending between $30 and $40 - would that be a nice gift or is there a "better" way to say thanks to them?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl:

No idea on the fleas I'm afraid, but I've got my fingers crossed!

A gift basket sounds like a lovely idea ::)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Well, is there no chance you're willing to take this cat? I don't think (unless he/she has an owner, in which case I kind of have to wonder how he/ she got into that state) that anyone else is going to want to take this on. I could be wrong but people don't generally want to take pets with major behavioral issues (which if the cat isn't feral, and I don't beileve he/ she is, can be solved over time). I think you've done a lot of good. I'm impressed. I hope you'll consider finding a way to keep him/ her.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The cats been through some serious trama-- I don't think there is ANY evidence of serious behavioral issues AT ALL. But if he let you pet him and took food from your hand, he isn't feral. Trust me I've worked with true feral cats. He might be a stray that's been out on the street long enough to get some wild tendencies, but he's not fully feral, no way. First thing, don't approach him with your hand palm down. Try to approach him with you hand palm up, loose and low (rub some feliway or tuna juice on it too, it helps).

If you plan to have him with you for a few days and have a electricity plug in your garage (and you don't mind the investment) I would go out and get a Feliway plug in from the pet store. Put his food and water and a deep box (on it's side) with some clean towels rubbed with some Feliway spray in the box if you pick some of that up too(some in a spray too)-- near the Feliway plug in. He's not associating your smell with safety, so your scent on the socks might be keeping him away from the shelter you made him.

Feliway is the best stuff I can recommend. It will calm him. And give him time to recover, and seriously help with the shock. Then you can start calling shelters and rescues to find a place that will take him. Tell them your fire hose story... it will create sympathy and get them interested in him.

I would also try very smelly foods to tempt him, like tuna. Place it in front of you about 2 feet away. And just sit. With a book (small book) and let him come around you. And just get used to associating you with good things instead of bad.

Tuna isn't good long term, but short term it's a very good tempter.

You are doing a great thing honey and it's definitely in keeping with the season. Thank you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the subject of behavioral issues. Here's an example.... Missy (now Victoria) is a pure bred Siamese stray we found and eventually placed with AmberGretchen's mom, and it took us 2 days to tempt her to trust us, wouldn't let us touch her and cowed in fear of us if we twitched at first-- and then like a switch was flicked she was impossible to lose or leave and is now an utter princess pampered house cat. If she had been put through what this cat went through, she would have acted exactly the same skittish and stressed out way.

Any time on the streets, attacked by other cats for territory and food, terrified by cars and noise, ignored by humans or tormented by kids, and chased by dogs is EXREMELY tramatic to a housecat that's been pampered and sheltered in a warm house with food and comfort.

Only time will tell how this one's personality unfolds.

In contrast my Lucy, who IS part wild, came to us for food in 1/2 an hour purring and let us pet her (as long as there was food) and stayed in our patio after the first time we fed her as if it was her room. Would come and greet us when we go outside and rub against our legs. And used to cuddle on our laps in our patio for hours. It's taken two years for us to get her comfortable with being picked up and held. And she still bites if you startle her.

Each cat is an individual. For all we know at this point, once he calms down he could be the ultimate lap cat. He needs time and security. The Feliway will expedite the process and ease his shock, hopefully relaxing him into showing his true colors.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie - thanks! We want to do something nice for them.

Imdanny - no, I don't think so. Believe me it will be hard to let him go, he is just so cute - but no, I don't want two cats, and I don't want to put my older cat through any stress. If I can get him to go to a good family I will be happy. I do agree with Gypsy that whatever behaviors he's showing are due to the trauma he's been through from getting stuck inside the car - so whatever trust I had built up was severed and he probably now associates me with that - prior to that he was rubbing against me, eating food in front of me (at times out of my hand) and allowing me to pet him from behind (although all he could stand was once or twice and that's it.) And even now I can still get very close to him and he just looks at me - so I think with time, he will be OK.

Gypsy - thanks for the tips. You know, I keep hoping I find him in one of the "shelters" but I never do - I was thinking that maybe he's running out of them to hide when he hears me coming but I think it is more likely that, like you say, my smell is actually driving him away.

I will definitely pick up some Feliway - if I invest in only one, would you recommend the plug-in or the spray? And whether or not I get the spray, would you recommend I take away my socks?

Oh, and I wanted to make one thing clear - the firefighters used OUR hose to try to get him to come out from the underside of the car - NOT a firehose. Still though, I am sure that he was petrified by the water shooting at him - but not enough to make him come out, poor thing.

Update:

He has been eating, drinking, AND using the litter box. I am so thrilled. It is freezing outside today and I am so glad he's inside. Had I left him that night, I would be thinking and worrying about him so much. Something tells me it really was meant to be.

And yes, Gypsy - I was just telling my husband, I feel like we're doing something good for Christmas. I am not the most nurturing or giving person when it comes to people - so this is my way of caring for something else other than me.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Cj - Bless you for being so kind. I think that whoever you home him with, they'll have to be quiet, and patient. Perhaps an older couple or single older person with no kids and no pets. It sounds like this cat had some kind of trauma that makes it a bit less trusting. We had a few like that and with time they come around, but generally only trust one to two people, and might forever be slightly skittish. Good luck, it sounds like kitty is already making progress!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
CJ, you've got lots of great advice here, just wanted to chime in to say thank you so much for helping out this kitty, the world needs more people like you :appl: =)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The plug in honey. :wavey: Keep up the good work!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK - the Feliway is plugged in...I put it close to where his food and shelter is...I hope one diffuser is enough for a two-car garage (I couldn't find any info. on how big a room it covers anywhere)

Two more questions...

I bought him a scratcher and put a little catnip on it to attract him. What if I put catnip in the shelters?
What about trying to play with him with a string toy? Good idea/bad idea?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ,
When I brought my last kitten home, he was very traumatized by the trip and scared spit less. I couldn't get near him even after sleeping in a room with him for 2 weeks while he was in isolation from my other cats.

Some of the things I did to get him socialized were:

*just sitting quietly in the room, sometimes working on the computer, often times reading aloud to him or just talking to get him used human voice.
*playing with a feather wand gradually working it closer to me. As he became more at ease, I'd reach out to touch him lightly. I would also run the feather toy over his back to get him used to being touched.

After about a month, I could approach him and touch his foot, then work my way up to his chin & finally his head. It took 3 months for him to get comfortable with being handled and I worked at it for several hours each day.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
This is such a lovely story CJ. I totally understand - I am forever giving kitties the beady eye to see if they look homeless or not I'm like a cat (bag) lady. I suspect if he is feral he is too young to have developed his behaviour patterns. Else he would never have allowed you to get so close.

As for trust: with a new/foster kitty I get together some tasty food like chicken or fish, kibble, cat milk and a toy (even a knotted shoelace will do., just something you can play with trailing it along the floor). I go in with something for me to sit on and just sit near them trailing the toy along the floor near me. It never fails to work, then once they are happy with toy-playing I introduce hand feeding the food etc.

Good luck!

As for the firemen - yup a food basket is a great idea if you make it up yourself you could include DIY hot drinks like hot choc - it is very cold work this time of year. They will love it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another update, guys...(are you getting sick of them yet?)

I sat there quietly reading a book with a can of tuna about 2-3 feet away from me.

Sure enough, after a while, he came out of his hiding spot and started circling around me (keeping a really good distance) meowing/howling and looking at me the whole time. After doing that several times he approached the tuna can, sniffed it for a few seconds, never taking his eyes off me, and then stepped back into his hiding place.

I spent about 90 minutes, and at times would read a few pages outloud in a calming manner (thanks Matata!)

I'll go back out there in a little while for another round. This time I'll add a string to see if that tempts him.

Oh, and I love the idea of hot chocolate for the firefighters (thanks Steal!)...wonder if I could make the basket myself rather - I could put all great stuff like that in there.

Thanks again guys for all the suggestions you've given and the ones you continue to give - I am reading them carefully and appreciate every one of them, even if I don't acknowledge each and every one individually.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are doing great honey.

It took me two weeks with tuna and toys and you name it to get Frodo (he was only 6 weeks old at the time and alone) close enough to put my hands on him and pick him up (never let him go, he went straight into the house and hasn't left). Reading aloud is great. Just sitting and letting him get used to you is what he needs.

You can put catnip in the bedding. It won't keep him away, and it might attract him.

Good for you on the Feliway. Just make sure the food and water and shelter are RIGHT next to where it is plugged in. Your garage is too big for one, but if you keep the stuff he needs to get to close to it, he will be exposed to it, and eventually will find since he's calmer near it... he stays close to it period. At least, that's the way it is supposed to work.

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
CJ its good what you are doing. Well done for your patience. Excellent advice so nothing at all to add except its good that Mr or Ms cat is with you safe, rather than cold and in danger - that's a bit obvious really, but well done you.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gypsy and Laughinggravy

WELL.

We have repaired the trust.

He is all over me. Lets me pet him, pick him up, comes on my lap. :appl:

He will still hide when he hears someone come into the garage - but after a few seconds of assessing it's me, he comes out.

Thanks for all your tips - this would not have happened without you!

I notice that he likes to gently bite my hands - even when I'm playing with a string, he'll go after the string, but he is also attracted to my hands. He is very gentle, but still - I take them away and say "no" gently - is that effective?

He also does this really weird thing with his tail - like a rattlesnake - it's the funniest thing. Is that a sign of happiness?

And here he is...can you at all tell if he's a specific type of cat?

So now I am dreading the time when I have to put him in the carrier and take him to the vet. He's going to think I'm the worst person ever. :(( I knew this was going to happen. But still, so worth doing...

IMG00024-20101213-1711.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl:

well that was a quick turnaround! Wonderful :bigsmile:

He's such a pretty lil' guy CJ!! And he'll get over being taken to the vet, I promise ::)

ETA: No idea on breed, but I'd say you've made a friend :))

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous kitty! Can't tell from this pic but those tufty ears could mean he's got some sort of longhair in his genes -- persian, ragdoll, maine coon or some such.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Awww, so cute! I bet you it's going to end up being a big boy. My cat has baseball mitts too :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results