shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with stray cat

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I KNEW IT! I knew he was just in shock.

OMG is he cute. Holy moly. Lookit those ear tufts!

Hold off on the vet for a few days. He's been traumatized enough. Book an appointment for a few days out. And if you can find a vet who does in office adoptions of cats (ours does)... where they have a place set up with a cage or two for strays they find... try that vet and see if you can talk them into fostering him. A charitable contribution goes a long way in making this happen. Same thing with rescues. I have bribed rescues into taking cats in with a donation. Is it perfect? No, but it's a tax write off and the cat gets exposure, a no kill temporary home, and a possibility at a forever home.

In the meantime, I will post what you will need to ask the vet for.

He's probably a domestic medium hair. He's a-freaking-dorable. He's kinda got the Maine Coon "M" between his brows and those paws mean BIG kitty. So if he's anything he's likely a Maine Coon.

Yes, gently saying No. Then pulling your hands away and giving him the toy, giving him the proper outlet for his nibbles is exactly right. If he doesn't listen. Scruff him, say no, then continue the play.

He's a doll. An absolute doll.

ETA: Yes, the tail thing is a happy thing. My Hally does it. And I've seen a lot of cats at shelers do it. Isn't it funny? But it is DEFINITELY a happy thing. Scratch his lower back, just under his tail and you'll get it it going.

MisterGypsy

Rough_Rock
CJ2008|1292287567|2796049 said:

That is a great looking kitten. You're doing a wonderful thing.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
He's just gorgeous! I can see why you fell in love w/him, though beauty isn't the real criterion. This is long -- I've tamed feral cats & can tell you what has worked for me. Hope you can stick with this tome:

Your vet may be able to give you an idea of his age, though in my experience they aren't much better at it than you would be. The "rattlesnake" stuff w/his tail: males do that when they urine-mark territory. He doesn't look like he's hit puberty yet but I'd get him neutered ASAP. He may continue it a little but usually not: I have a feral cat I found at around 5 wks, had him neutered right away -- he's now 7 yrs old & still wiggles his tail; I've found a little cat urine on the back door (could be my other male, but I think it's this guy), and nowhere else. At least, the sooner you get it done, the better.

As to going after your hands in play, he doesn't realize you have no fur to protect your skin -- in other words, he's playing w/you as he would the other kittens in his litter. Time to teach him not to. A gentle "no" won't do it -- in a long life of feral & half-feral cats, I'm not sure how much cats associate our words w/their actions; whatever, they don't care enough to bother! I end the game a nanosecond after they touch my hands w/claws out -- they must be able to connect your action w/theirs. Yelp "OW" loudly at the moment contact is made -- they understand a pain cry. Then get up, turn your back on him (important body language) & walk out. No more scolding, it's a waste of effort. Don't make eye contact again, just walk out decisively. Game is over, period. If he's on my lap, I simply stand up & dump him on the ground. Wait 5 min., then go back & play again if you wish to. You MUST do this EVERY time, or like a child, he'll keep it up, figuring this may be one of the times he can get away with it. It does work, though might take time (as in weeks) for him to figure out you're serious.

It's always nervewracking to take him to the vet but he'll survive just fine -- and be delighted to get home to you. Get him out of the garage!!! When I first bring a cat indoors I close him in a room by himself (as much as possible) for a few days -- to keep things calm for him. A litter box & water, food at mealtimes, toys and somewhere for him to hide. Cats need to hide when they're in new situations. A box w/a hole for him to get in through, or fabric draped over a chair or table. A towel or something to cuddle into in his hiding place helps too. Go in & see him as often as possible, play w/him, just sit quietly or talk, but spend time to help bonding. Other family members too, but not too much chaos at once.

After 2 days he will probably make it clear he wants out -- so leave the door open, don't try to force him out. He will do some advancing & retreating for a couple days -- slink out, curious, then run back in. Just ignore it, it's part of his process of adjustment. Eventually he'll stay out longer & longer, shortly will find his new favorite place somewhere in the house.

I think you've found yourself a best future buddy! Don't worry about the vet -- he'll do fine, even if it won't win his award for best place to be!

Good luck -- & ask more questions if you have them. Apologize for the length of this, but I've done it several times & hope to spare you some frustration!

--- Laurie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask vet: Age. How are his teeth. Have them check his ears. They can check in office for Feline Aids and Leukemia. Have them check to see if he is fixed.

Have them give him a wipe down and purchase a dose of Frontline and put it on him (if the Aids and Leukemia tests are negative, if they are positive you will have some choices to make as you already have a resident cat).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie - I appreciate all your tips! So, wow, the tail thing could be a sign of him trying to spray? I did notice a little drop of something on the floor, I'm not sure if it happened after one his tail things - but I thought it may have been coming from his mouth because a couple of times he rubbed his mouth on me it felt wet...so that could be urine, huh? Yikes.

I do plan on taking him to the vet within the next day or two.

I can't put him anywhere else but the garage :(sad I am just too afraid for my other cat...I did make sure to lay down on the floor anything he could accidentally knock over - but I know they get into everything. So yes, now that he's more comfortable and not hiding in one stop, I am afraid he'll do a lot of exploring and possibly hurt himself on something I didn't notice.

I did some research on the internet, and according to what I found, he is definitely a HE. So that's settled.

Gypsy - yes, will be asking all of that. My regular vet quoted me $80 for all the tests/checkup - will see if any of the rescue groups in the area will help with the cost. When I went to Petco I got the names of some the GM felt very good recommending to me. And she really took her time with me, so I trust her recommendations. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see where that takes me.

He IS adorable isn't he? He doesn't let me walk! I have to be so careful not to step on him! ETA: Thanks for the compliments everyone!

ETA: I'd like for him to trust more than one person - so I plan on having DH do the sitting thing tomorrow. I figure the more comfortable he gets around people the better.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any advice for you, but just wanted to say that cat is adorable. That's so nice of you to take him in and provide such good care.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Oh my he really is a pretty baby isn't he? As far as breed goes, he looks like he might be part Maine Coon. I have two longhair boys and you can really tell one is part Persian and the other is part Maine Coon- their coats are both quite long but very different. The part-persian boy, O.P. feels like a dandelion puff, very floaty and weightless hair, very downy in feel.. He's just this enormous ball of utterly soft downy poofy fluff. It needs a lot more maintenance than Rat's.

The other baby, Rat, has much different fur. It's as long as O.P.'s but it's very slick and sleek feeling with a much more definied top coat, and is basically waterproof in fact, and the top coat is very shiny. And whereas O.P. is puffy all over, Rat's coat is shorter on the back and neck (except for the huge ruff.) He also has way huger ear tufties (like your new baby's) with these intensely long tassely points and hugely tufty paws. And he's very lean and leggy compared to O.P., who's a lot stockier and more compact. If your guy has that slick, sleek shaggy top coat with a big mane-like ruff, he could very well be part Maine Coon.

You might give your existing kitty a chance to meet the newbie, after he has some time to adjust. O.P. was a found-kitty I'd planned to rehome, but he and Rat fell in love at first sight pretty much and that was that. (And prior to that, Rat had pretty much hated any other cat's hed met.) So if it is something you'd consider you might give them a chance, they might surprise you!

Anyway, he's a gorgeous boy and I bet it will be easy to find him a new home if you need to. It really is awesome of you to take him in :saint:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
CJ, I had a cat when I found Joe Don, too. And my SIberian Husky -- they have a strong prey drive. Was nervous about introducing them. Do you have a crate that you use to take your cat to the vet? Or can you borrow one -- doesn't matter if it's big or small. I used a dog crate I already had -- you don't need one this open, use whatever you can find.

I put the kitten in a crate, let him get used to it for an hour or so (towel in the bottom to lie on, toys in there) & then let the other cat into the room. A little hissing at first but they had a chance to get acquainted without danger -- I did this several times a day over a week -- in a short time the older cat liked to come sit by the kitten's crate & when I finally let the kitten out, wow, my older cat mothered him to pieces! Cuddled, slept together, licked & groomed him, and I think he added years to my old cat's life -- they still, 7 yrs later, play & chase & wrestle.

This pic isn't very sharp & eventually Meat Loaf (cat in foreground) sat next to the cage for hours at a time. You can do this with any size crate. Next pic is a week or so later.

--- Laurie

P.S. Great idea to get DH with him too. Feral cats often tend to tame up with the person they have most contact with (when they are being tamed, they generally see only that person & don't get socialized) & be skittish w/others -- the more people you can introduce him to quickly, the better. If he can play w/the kitten & feed him, also get friends or neighbors to come in for him. At first, they just need to sit quietly -- he'll get curious & approach them; leave it to him rather than trying to coax him out. Cats resist unless the decision is their own, as you probably know!

Buddies.jpg

Anmals.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, marypoppings! I took some more pictures, I'll post them in a little while.

LGK so funny that one of your cat's names is Rat! I told DH I wanted to name him Rattie because that's what he reminds me of! I took some pictures with you in mind that show off his coat a little bit better.

Laurie, you and LGK are really putting seeds of keeping him thoughts in my head! I keep pushing the thoughts out of my head because this is so NOT planned! And I don't know how DH would feel about having two cats. But your pictures are SOOOOOO cute Laurie! And there's a part of me that's now wondering if my older cat would possibly ENJOY having a new friend in his old age. Brings tears to my eyes for some reason...

I'll have to see. But you have planted the seed...

I did call two of the rescue places that were recommended to me, and left a message. I want to see which one gives me the better feeling - one is 30 minutes away - but I don't care, if it ends up being the better one.

Any opinions/advice as to what to ask them in order to judge how good they really are? I know the one that's 30 minutes away says that any potential adopters have to be willing to agree to a home visit, which I REALLY, really like (yet a part of me wonders whether it's something that looks good on paper but they rarely do...)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some pictures :appl:

IMG_4457.JPG

IMG_4501.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Awwwww, he is so cute!!!!!

And thank you for doing such a wonderful thing for this kitty :)) ::)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should keep him *ducks*

He's adorable.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think he has a good chance of being adopted if you decide to go this route, as long as the vet checkups are without incident. Sweet, cuddly, strikingly pretty appearance, healthy, little, "good story" - all promising.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
CJ, a rescue that even tries to make home visits is on the right track. It's so darned important to see the environment -- somebody can just be nice as pie & say all the right things, but not be anything of the sort IRL. I did Siberian (& their buddy dogs) rescue for about 15 yrs -- plus adopting hard luck cats myself & seeing the home is essential. Too many people are thoughtless, ignorant or downright cruel. Check out the reputation of the rescue place online & I'd recommend in person before committing a kitty to it. Some groups have a lot more enthusiasm & kind heart than practical abilties. Many take more than they can care well for. If they farm them out to foster families, how many cats does each one take? How are they cared for there? Who pays the bills?

Ask them if they check references of adopters: do they get a vet ref. & do they call to see if shots were kept up & other necessities met? What about other refs, friends, neighbors? What questions do they ask adopters? Should be things like,

-- have you had cats before? Have you ever had a feral or half-tamed cat? How did you work with it?
-- will cat be inside or outdoor?
-- Where will it sleep at night? (This question tells a lot about their animal attitude.)
-- What about claws -- do you believe in de-clawing or not? If cat is de-clawed, how about letting it out?
-- If you don't have one now, how long since your last cat?
-- What happened to it?
-- how much time will the cat be alone? (Not as important as for dogs but cats cannot be left alone, like 18 hrs a day every day -- they
need companionship. It's cruel & they'll become neurotic, then neither cat nor owner will be happy.)
-- Do you have a place for a litter box? Where? How often do you change it?
-- If your cat gets sick or injured, can you afford vet bills for it?
-- Do they have toddlers? Are they left unsupervised w/ pets? What about other pets, cats, dogs?

Can't think of anything else offhand, sure there's plenty I left out. You could get this fellow vetted & then try him in your house. Then go to a rescue if necessary -- I bet your husband would love him if given a chance. 2 cats are fun. But also, be aware that his chances of being adopted get slim to none when he's no longer a kitten.

Love to know what you do & how it goes!

--- Laurie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ, I don't know where you are. But we just adopted a new cat and the foster mom for my cat was amazing. They don't have a facility so they are all foster homes. And I met some of the foster moms, and there were all different 'quality' of them... but the one that had my Merlin was just amazing.

Just as Jewel Freak has compiled a list of questions that rescues need to ask potential families. I agree with her that you need to ask any potential shelter a lot of questions as well. A LOT of questions. If they foster, do they have resident cats. How did they get the resident cats (are they just the ones that have been there so long that they are now not up for adoption anymore-- this is a good sign), how do they normally get animals, do they integrate their fosters or keep them separate, how long is the average time to adoption for thier animals. What types of adoption faires and functions do they attend. What do they do for their animals (this rescue did very extensive, in my opinion care for their babies)... how do they deal with disease? Especially diseases like ringworm which spread like fire but are not life threatening.

If you are anywhere near Nor Cal, I am happy to give you the contact information of the lady who fostered my Merlin. She was one of the best foster parents I have ever seen. And I used to foster myself.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1292370172|2796987 said:
CJ, I don't know where you are. But we just adopted a new cat and the foster mom for my cat was amazing. They don't have a facility so they are all foster homes. And I met some of the foster moms, and there were all different 'quality' of them... but the one that had my Merlin was just amazing.

Just as Jewel Freak has compiled a list of questions that rescues need to ask potential families. I agree with her that you need to ask any potential shelter a lot of questions as well. A LOT of questions. If they foster, do they have resident cats. How did they get the resident cats (are they just the ones that have been there so long that they are now not up for adoption anymore-- this is a good sign), how do they normally get animals, do they integrate their fosters or keep them separate, how long is the average time to adoption for thier animals. What types of adoption faires and functions do they attend. What do they do for their animals (this rescue did very extensive, in my opinion care for their babies)... how do they deal with disease? Especially diseases like ringworm which spread like fire but are not life threatening.

If you are anywhere near Nor Cal, I am happy to give you the contact information of the lady who fostered my Merlin. She was one of the best foster parents I have ever seen. And I used to foster myself.

one more to add to the list of questions for a shelter - if they are not no-kill, how long does a cat have to be deemed 'fit for adoption' (in one shelter around here it was 3days) - and if a cat does not "pass", whether you can take him back (the answer was no, because it is considered an adoption).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys so much for the questions - I'll compile them so I am ready with a list of excellent questions when they call back. The last thing I want to do is give him to anyone that won't make sure he gets an excellent, loving home.

I also just wrote to my pet sitter, who I LOVE, to see if she knows a good family, or any good rescue groups. I also have a few acquaintances who love their animals and I'll ask them too. Gypsy - I wish I was near you so I could have the name of that foster, but I am very far away!

One of them just called and said they can't take him, that they're full - she left a message. Let's see when I hear from the other place.

By the looks of him, how old would you say he is?

ETA: he's been eating 2 cans of Fancy Feast a day plus dry food - isn't that a LOT?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No clue. He could be 3 years old or 6 months old. I'd lean toward the younger side because of the ears and paws, but without looking at his teeth and everything. Don't know.

As for the food. It takes a while for strays (and some never do) to get over the feast or famine mind-set. They will just eat and eat and eat because they do not know where their next meal will come from and want to store up fat and energy for lean times during times of plenty.

It depends on how long he was on the streets and what his experiences were when he was there. There are many ways I've read to deal with this. But for me... I just let them feed, make sure to keep them on schedule so they can learn that food comes regularly and hope they adjust. If they don't and I've got a Garfield on my hands then I still keep the schedule but I start regulating intake.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
If they don't and I've got a Garfield on my hands...

hahaah

OK - I'll keep an eye on him.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
he's adorable. going to the vet may find him hiding in your armpit which means you'll be bonded forever. spending the time with him rather than being in and out is what makes the change. congrats on your lovely fur baby. i'm partial to gray kitties.

MoZo

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my experience pretty much all no-kill (or ones that don't kill except for disease) shelters and rescues will be full-- or won't take from private homes (even if you just found the cat,they have no way of verifying you aren't just trying to foist your own off on them) and will only do intakes from kill shelters. Hence my history of bribing them with donations to take cats if I find a good one that I like the policies of.

Most are impacted and they will take a chance that you are a good samaritan and will either a) take him yourself or b) find someplace else that will take him unless you harrass them. At least in CA. In NJ it was better. Jersey Shore Animal Shelter was good about intakes from people. At least when I lived there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1292377235|2797100 said:
he's adorable. going to the vet may find him hiding in your armpit which means you'll be bonded forever. spending the time with him rather than being in and out is what makes the change. congrats on your lovely fur baby. i'm partial to gray kitties.

MoZo

Ahh yes. The ducking in the arm pit or the crook of your neck or the crook of your elbow gets me each time. They are hiding from danger using you, cause you are safe and it breaks your heart, and rebuilds it just big enough to make room for the fuzzy little love.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1292377127|2797098 said:
Gypsy said:
If they don't and I've got a Garfield on my hands...

hahaah

OK - I'll keep an eye on him.

It could take months. Lucy got REALLY fat at first, for example. After 6 months with us she was just plain chubby. Then we switched her to low-cal food (wellness) and she lost weight, we increased her activity. And she's been constant since then at perfect weight. She's not the first cat I've had go fat initially, then lose the weight once they started to trust that food was regular. Sometimes you just have to let them get fat and secure... then slowly change them over to a weight loss regimen.

That said, one of my aunt's cats Joe was so skinny when they found him and before they knew it he was 22 pounds! Then he fluctuated between 18 and 28 pounds the rest of his life... no matter what diet he was on. He just never learned that food was always going to be there although he adjusted to being in a home and was one of the most loving cats ever in every other way.

ETA: IF he is a Maine Coon Kitten. They are typically huge cats anyway. And 19 pounds can be average and healthy for them. It has more to do with thier individual builds than anything else. Even at 14 pounds Frodo was skinny. Hally looks ROUND at 9.5 pounds.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, an update: it took him about 10 minutes to TOTALLY bond with DH! :appl: It's official that this little guy now feels safe. I am so thrilled.

And now, for my question...I'm really starting to want to know whether Rattie (that's his temporary name, at least ::) ) is healthy.

I didn't receive a call back from the 2nd rescue group yet, so I was thinking of taking him to my vet. My vet would charge $47 for an exam and $33 for the leukemia FELV and FIV tests.

Then there's a local animal league (I did some volunteer work for them, and do like them) that on Saturdays does the FELV/FIV test for $15 and FVRCP vaccination for $30.

There's a part of me that wants to bring him to my local vet because I feel "safest" there - but obviously it's a lot more $. And I'm not sure there's any logical reason to take him there. I was thinking I could get him tested and vaccinated at the animal league - and then I could schedule an appointment with the vet for a more general check-up. What do you think?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
your vet will check Rattie out for other issues. the other groups will merely give the shots. personally, i always opted for taking my rescues to my vet for the checkup. Rattie looks very healthy but it might be nice to make sure. much depends on your finances.

MoZo

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If it's not a big financial burden, I vote for your vet too. He/she will have a much more thorough look-see for other health issues & may also be able to give you advice on somewhere good to place him.

It's a good sign DH has made buddies with him. As a shelter worker said to me once, "Sometimes these things are meant to be." (He was right; I ended up keeping the stray I tried to place & he became the love of my life.) I'll bet he'd do fine with your family, given a little patience & understanding. Even if he & your cat don't fall in love, they would arrive at a mutual policy of at least ignoring each other -- probably much better than that, though.

Gypsy|1292377390|2797103 said:
In my experience pretty much all no-kill (or ones that don't kill except for disease) shelters and rescues will be full-- or won't take from private homes

My experience too. Even in the rescue "biz," as I was, nobody EVER had room. Made me want to cry.

Hence my history of bribing them with donations to take cats if I find a good one that I like the policies of.

Gypsy, does this really work???? I never tried it, dumb dumb dumb! Just figured they'd still say the same & make me feel guilty not to come across w/the donation anyway (easy to do).

--- Laurie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on how you state it. People give donations all the time to charities with strings attached. It’s your money, if you want to put a condition on it, it’s their choice whether or not to accept it. I usually just send an email that says something like:

I usually say something like… Hi, I am... and I have (include cute kitty pictures) and need some help. I know finances are tight for any rescue, but if you help me with this I am happy to donate 500 dollars to your rescue. I can even volunteer some of my time, if you need it (if you can).

This my history with rescue (insert short and sweet description here), you can check with this person at this rescue (for me it’s one in NJ) to see that I’m not trying to unload my resident cat and that this one really is a stray I found. I don’t want to drop them off at a kill shelter ‘hoping’ that he gets picked to go to a rescue group. I know he/she is adoptable and just needs a chance. He/She has been checked by my vet—is clean and I have his vet record verifying this. If you would place him/her in your rescue I think he/she will get exposure and the possibility of a good home, and that’s all I want for him/her.

I have this much space and this many cats. I can’t take him or her in. My own cats are rescues that were, for the most part, unadoptable because of some behavioral issues and they don’t react well at ALL to having new cats introduced (it’s not a healthy environment for my resident cats or the new cat) and I have no separate space to foster.

I know finances are tight for any rescue, but if you help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Best,
Gypsy.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But for the most part, most rescues are desperate for cash and volunteers that have experience with rescue.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooooh good letter Gypsie - I'm keeping that one in my files!

Oh, I am DEFINITELY going to take Rattie for a general check-up at the vet. I was just thinking of getting the FELV/FIV test at the animal league for $15 on Saturday - and then take him for his check-up at the vet for $47 some time next week. That would save me $18 - it's not a lot, but it's something...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good idea, CJ. That should cover the bases more cheaply for you.

Gypsy, never thought of that! What a dummy, in all my years of agonizing over it. Well, thanks, I'll sure remember for next time.

--- Laurie

LGK

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1292425549|2797529 said:
First, an update: it took him about 10 minutes to TOTALLY bond with DH! :appl: It's official that this little guy now feels safe. I am so thrilled.

And now, for my question...I'm really starting to want to know whether Rattie (that's his temporary name, at least ::) ) is healthy.

I didn't receive a call back from the 2nd rescue group yet, so I was thinking of taking him to my vet. My vet would charge $47 for an exam and $33 for the leukemia FELV and FIV tests.

Then there's a local animal league (I did some volunteer work for them, and do like them) that on Saturdays does the FELV/FIV test for $15 and FVRCP vaccination for $30.

There's a part of me that wants to bring him to my local vet because I feel "safest" there - but obviously it's a lot more $. And I'm not sure there's any logical reason to take him there. I was thinking I could get him tested and vaccinated at the animal league - and then I could schedule an appointment with the vet for a more general check-up. What do you think?

Awww. Rattie is such a gorgeous little critter. My kitty Rat approves highly of the new name :bigsmile: As another tassley eared tabby to another, he feels it is the best possible name for a handsome fluffy grey baby. Rat recommends bathing with your new Rattie in the room- Maine Coon and part- coon kitties can really adore water... and some of them, like Rat, try to wash their food which makes for a *lot* of water changes since there's always a kibble acting as a boullion cube in the bottom. And making puddles and then splashing in them is a hugely popular passtime, too, unfortunately. Bathing with Rat and letting him dabble around in makes him a bit less inclined to puddle but not a lot, lol.

Rattie could be full grown, but he looks a bit adolescent still (around a year maybe, or a bit less). Rats looks kitteny at 14, because his legs are really long and a big pigeon-toed which makes him look gangly and adolescent, and his paws are huge for a really tiny 7 pound boy.

Is your existing kitty male or female? Often two males do great together, but male & female can have some issues- that's what we had for years, a male & female littermate (Rat & his sister Sonar). Rat would try to play with her, she'd interpret it as an attack, and get really genuinely angry and it would escalate from there, which it seems isn't that unusual with two opposite sex cats. So, when Rat met O.P., he finally had a playmate. And they were pretty much sleeping in a big heap and grooming each other within a day or so. We'd planned on a slow introduction, wiht O.P. isolated in a back room initially, but it was pretty obvious that nobody was getting riled up so we turned them loose together after a couple of days of letting them just sniff each other through the door. O.P. is ridiculously laid back, so that helps. (Rat is... not.) If either of your guys is easygoing that helps a heck of a lot.

Rat is a lot happier and a bit less needy in general with a boy buddy to play with- they love to chase each other, then wrestle a bit, and then the winner pins the loser and licks him to bits. It's hilarious to watch Rat's eyes glaze over with the sheer joy of getting his ears properly licked, lol. I hadn't realized he was a bit lonely until he latched on to O.P. like it was True Gay Cat Love, lol. So yeah, you might see if Rattie and your existing cat are good together.

I didn't have much luck calling no-kill shelters, actually, either. They were all full, or they were willing to put the cat down for the most lame of reasons. (O.P. had- still has in fact- a goopy eye, and all the no kill shelters said that a bad eye was pretty much a death sentence.) I believe it would've been pretty easy to adopt him out myself- I had a number of people that really wanted him- much easier than getting a shelter to take him.

rat4x.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results