shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help with Star Sapphires!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemnewb

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

This is my first post after "lurking" the forums for months.

I am going to New York this week to purchase a light blue star sapphire ring for my fiancee.

I had a few questions because this is the first jewerly I have ever bought.

1. What is a good size for a star sapphire for a woman''s hand?

2. What attributes should I be looking for in a star sapphire?

3. I have read that only men usually buy star sapphires?

4. Does anyone have any good pictures of a star sapphire engagement ring?

Thank you so much in advance for everyone''s help!

GemNewb

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2008 12:09:22 AM
Author:gemnewb
Hey everyone!

This is my first post after ''lurking'' the forums for months.

I am going to New York this week to purchase a light blue star sapphire ring for my fiancee.

I had a few questions because this is the first jewerly I have ever bought.

1. What is a good size for a star sapphire for a woman''s hand?

2. What attributes should I be looking for in a star sapphire?

3. I have read that only men usually buy star sapphires?

4. Does anyone have any good pictures of a star sapphire engagement ring?

Thank you so much in advance for everyone''s help!

GemNewb
First off...you wont find many to pick from in retail stores...2nd...be careful because 90% of whats in stores are synthetic...3rd- a star sapphire ring on a women is beautiful and not only for men...4th ...do your home work and study before purchasing...5- the size of gem depends on her taste and hand size...6th...The color,size of flaws,cut of the gem, and the amount and placement of the star''s rays is important to quality and cost.

gemnewb

Rough_Rock
Jewelerman,

Thanks for replying.

I asked around at my job and a lot of the women there said that most women wont like star sapphires...

I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

gemnewb

Rough_Rock
I will be going to thenaturalsapphirecompany''s factory in NY.

I searched all over the net for some good websites that I can educate myself on it.

Are there any that you would recommend?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Is there a reason you''ve decided to go with a Star Sapphire? Has the lady in question mentioned wanting one, or a colored stone? We''re all in favor of colored e-rings over here, but it''s very much a matter of personal taste.

Something you may not have considered - the star in a star sapphire will only show up in sun or certain indoor lights. On a cloudy day or in low light, you''ll just get a nice looking, but unremarkeable blue stone.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
These might help...

starlightcomparison.jpg

gemnewb

Rough_Rock
awesome!

thanks for the pictures and advice.

didnt know that without the light - u dont get the star.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2008 12:59:56 AM
Author: gemnewb
awesome!

thanks for the pictures and advice.

didnt know that without the light - u dont get the star.
They''re definitely fun to play with, but kind of disappointing in crappy light, honestly.
1.gif
At least to me.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2008 12:34:03 AM
Author: gemnewb
Jewelerman,

Thanks for replying.

I asked around at my job and a lot of the women there said that most women wont like star sapphires...

I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
star stones are not a commonly seen gem and so I dont think that women dislike them but they are not main stream and right now are not in fashion as they were in the 1930s and 1970s.I happen to think they are among the most beautiful gem stones!One of my favorite rings contains a round brown starred sapphire that my mother gave my father for their aniversary in 1976.i would make sure that she wants a star sapphire before taking time to find one...each woman has her own taste in jewelry.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Widget has a beautiful star ruby ring. Being that rubies are also corundum, I thought I would post it. She purchased the stone already mounted from Cherry Picked, and then had it re-set into a ring by my favorite designer.

Here are links to the ring. I think it''s delicious!

Good luck.

vcsr3042.jpg
vcsr293.JPG

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2008 1:41:24 AM
Author: Love in Bloom
Widget has a beautiful star ruby ring. Being that rubies are also corundum, I thought I would post it. She purchased the stone already mounted from Cherry Picked, and then had it re-set into a ring by my favorite designer.

Good luck.

vcsr3042.jpg
vcsr293.JPG
Very nice!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2008 1:50:58 AM
Author: jewelerman

Date: 8/31/2008 1:41:24 AM
Author: Love in Bloom

Good luck.
Very nice!
ITA jewelerman. That stone is a beauty and is also unheated! I think Widget mentioned it was a touch under 3 carats, and the side ovals on that ring are on the order of 80 points each.

gemnewb- I''m not sure what your budget is, but here are a few I found on the site I linked above (just had to browse!):

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1920

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1897

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1803

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if she likes the unusual, she will love a star sapphire.......and because i am just such a person, i think it would make a lovely 3-ring.

movie zombie

ps i have a small one set in a pinky ring......

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gemnewb,

There''s quite a bit to know about star sapphires. First, really fine natural star sapphires are not abundant and are expensive. Second, the market is full of man-made star stones as well as natural stones that have been "improved" in the laboratory by a process known as diffusion.

The diffused stones have had stars made by the same process used to induce stars in synthetic sapphire. The stars are very sharp and complete, just like the synthetics. Both the synthetic and diffused star stones are (or should be!) quite inexpensive, under $50/ct.

Fine natural star sapphires are judged by color and the perfection of the star. Many gems of fine color may have fuzzy, weak or missing "legs" on the stars. The larger and better the color and the sharper and more complete the star, the higher the price.

Stones that display stars, cat''s-eyes and other optical effects are known as "phenomenal gems" (i.e., they display optical phenomena). Fred and Charlotte Ward have recently published a very informational book by that name. Most phenomenal stones are at their best in point-source illumination like sunlight or single light bulbs. Diffused light, like fluorescent, or lights from multiple sources, dampen the effect. I''ve cut many star stones over the years and am very fond of them.

Richard M.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I have heard there are a lot of fakes out there so be careful. I think a sharp star looks better than a blurry one and clear stone will look better too. At one point gemwow had some cool looking ones in the Burmese stone section that were super clear and blue. They are probably all gone but you could check anyway.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I forgot to mention some of the downside problems with natural star sapphires. In addition to sometimes having incomplete or fuzzy stars, they often show angular crystal zoning marks on their face. The more translucent to transparent they are the better, all else being equal. Since most are cut in Asia they sometimes carry as much weight below the girdle as above it as is the local custom to increase their carat weight/price. Some minor imperfections, preferably seen only with magnification, are desirable IMO so as to prove natural origin.

Richard M.

gemnewb

Rough_Rock
wow!

thanks for all the great information everyone.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A star''s value is also impacted by the position of the star (if it is off center) and how well it "rolls" or moves along the stone as the light is moved. It should be smooth and not jerky.

I usually wear a 2.5 cts star sapphire ring in a very simple bezel setting. Very feminine, very delicate and a lot of people comment on it. It is diffused on a blue body, so it looks like a simple sapphire cabochon in indirect light.

gemnewb

Rough_Rock
lady disdain

do u happen to have a pic of it?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here you go! Forgive the bad photo and dirty ring - I just snapped this.

Star sapphire (small).jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
simple and elegant!beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results