shape
carat
color
clarity

Star gazing.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, I really tried, but I just can't resist sharing this treasure with my fellow colored gemstone freaks...it's just too special.

A really top notch star ruby has been on my "wish list" forever. I'd been admiring and coveting this stone for ages, and finally broke down and had Richard Orbach at CherryPicked send it out to me so I could see it in real life. I was a goner!
30.gif

It's a wee bit smaller than I probably would have preferred (estimated to be a touch under 3cts), but so spectacular that it's size became irrelevant.

This stone looks like a juicy little gum drop...rich and delicious. Amazingly, in almost all lighting situations it seems to "glow" from it's own interior light source! It's almost like having a little red lightbulb on my finger!

Trying to be sensible
20.gif
I had the jeweler who will be setting it call in some other star rubies that might be competitive. The contrast was amazing...this stone was in a class all by itself. Richard describes its color and glow as "startling", and says it's been YEARS since he's seen one as nice.

Enough prattling...here are pics in different lighting: L to R: Indoors, no flash; Indoors, with flash; outside, direct sunlight; outside, shade.

It's currently mounted in one of those ubiquitous "unisex" rings. How it will ultimately be mounted is still up in the air.

Enjoy!

widget

PS: I forgot to mention that this is a relatively rare "red star" ruby, which to my understanding only come out of Burma...

ssts.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a handshot to give a sense of its size...

jhe.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH Widget its FABULOUS!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I love that " raspberry gleam"
18.gif
Can''t wait to see how you will mount it!
36.gif
36.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Widget, it''s a beauty! It displays magnificent color, lovely translucence and a sharp well-centered complete star. Those are my personal criteria for judging both star ruby and sapphire. In my book it classifies as a real gem, not a wannabe! Congratulations!
36.gif

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
widget, your ruby is so amazing. The colour is totally luscious!
30.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Simply devine---looks so good
30.gif
I could eat it!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Widget, what a gorgeous stone!!! I just love the color and can''t wait to see it in it''s finished form. Hmm.....do I forsee some type of antiquey setting?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I was admiring that stone on their website. So glad you get to enjoy it!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone!!
1.gif

I''m actually suffering from separation anxiety right now because it''s on it''s way back to NY to be unmounted, checked over for any previously hidden "surprises", and get certified. I seem to be spending a lot of time just gazing at the pictures lately!
32.gif

Michelle...I really don''t know how I''m going to set it yet...I sort of waver between extremes: antique-y or organic.

Glitterata...actually this little guy isn''t listed on their website...it''s been hiding in their vault, for some reason. (There are a couple of other ones listed that are similarly mounted, however)

Thanks again, everybody...I''m so thrilled...
9.gif

widget

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Widget,

You have a winner here. What an amazing stone! Exceptional color, good crystal and a perfect star. You can''t ask for more. You must be a good customer to get offered a stone from the vault. I would be interested to know your ideas for the setting. I can see this star ruby in a Deco setting, bezel around the center stone, pave halo with perhaps a scallop edge, or even an octagon halo. This must be very exciting for you to have this new addition to your already fabulous collection.

AN

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2005 7:25:20 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

Killer stone. Heart attack material.
Heart attack here too !

Well done ... too well done... lucky you
5.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2005 5:45:42 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 8/4/2005 7:25:20 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

Killer stone. Heart attack material.
Heart attack here too !

Well done ... too well done... lucky you
5.gif
Another victim of heart attack here!

Dangerously beautiful... Don''t drive with it for safety concerns...
2.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Widget,
That is FANTASTIC ! I just love rubies and that one just plain takes the cake. It''s going to be a tough one to get a setting to match that beauty. Have you got any ideas about the setting ?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Widget,

It''s been a few days.....any ideas on a setting for this beauty yet? We are all patiently waiting.....
9.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
A breathless... wow!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh my widget
23.gif
that ruby is simply amazing. what a find. top notch indeed. wow.
great pics too!
36.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Catmom...thanks for asking! (Michael and AN, too..
1.gif
)

I''m not even close to deciding. I''ve printed out REAMS of pictures of different things to show the designer...everything from lacy filigree to heavy clunky organic to ''deco-esque''. I do know that this little guy deserves something special...and this will be the first cabochon I''ve ever had mounted.

I did decide to work with a (sort of) local designer because I really wanted to be on top of the whole process, and see it in person before I commit to a final design. The designer I''m thinking of does preliminary models in clay rather than wax (I think this means she hand forges her pieces rather than casts them...???). Anyway, I can see the "model" with the stones actually pressed into place so that I can get a better sense of what the finished ring will look like...

I finally got word that it safely arrived back in NY yesterday. Whew....I was unnerved knowing it was wandering out there somewhere in USPS Land!
19.gif

I have learned it looks fine unmounted (no previously hidden surprises) and that it''s suitable for either bezel or prong setting.

It''s currently being "buffed up" (it wasn''t shiny enough before??) and then off to the AGTA. So it will probably be a couple of weeks before I get it back in my hot little hands...

I''ll DEFINITELY keep y''all posted!

widget

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i can't wait to see what you decide widget
3.gif
can you post some of your ideas?
20.gif
maybe a just a few contenders from each 'genre"

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful. I love how the star itself is red/pink and not white. Maybe that''s what they mean by being a "red star" ruby? Most star rubies I don''t care for but yours, mmmmm....

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Widget, I didn''t get the chance to post until today. That ruby is AMAZING!!!! It really does glow and heck yes, it needs a VERY special home!

I can''t wait to see what you decide & would love it if you could share some of the design process with us, as I''m always wowed by life of a custom piece from ideas to inception
2.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: fountainfairfax
would love it if you could share some of the design process with us, as I''m always wowed by life of a custom piece from ideas to inception
2.gif
Well, Ok...FF, Belle, AN, Catmom, etc etc..

I''m driving myself crazy thinking about this...may as well ''share the madness''
9.gif

I''m going to start a thread in the jewelry forum to toss around a few ideas. Maybe by the time the stone gets back, I''ll have narrowed down my thinking to just a few brilliant ideas!

Thanks, everyone...I love your interest and support!!
30.gif

widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results