• Classic style knife edge

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Freya

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kbonita4

Rough_Rock
Hi All! This is my first official post on PriceScope (although I've been living on this forum these past few weeks). I am need of some assistance trying to find a new setting for my new upgraded diamond. Long story short, I had a 1.3 carat H VS1 stone set in the Legara pave setting and matching band from Brian Gavin. My husband was kind enough to allow me to upgrade:dance: and I was able to find a beautiful 1.7 carat H VS1 with medium florescence.:love: Instead of a pave setting, I want a plain plain solitaire for my new diamond.

I didn't realize it would be so difficult trying to find the perfect plain solitaire setting. Ultimately, I want to find a setting that will pair nicely with my 2mm Legara band. My heart wants a setting with 6 prongs and a shank that tapers. I was originally going to get a custom Mark Morrell but deviated and decided to stick with a BG setting. I have a size 7.5 finger so I feel like I need a ring with a little weight.

These are the settings i've been eyeing. I realize they are all different. That is why I am so lost. I honestly can't make up my mind. 4 prongs or 6 prongs! I also don't want a band that is too thin/thick. Hopefully someone can help me narrow it down. I don't have much time to decide.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/chelsea-split-prong-platinum-5837p

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...taire/classic-style-half-round-platinum-5478p

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...taire/classic-style-knife-edge-platinum-5336p

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/freya-platinum-5985p

This is my band
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ands/legera-pave-matching-band-platinum-5862p

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those settings. I would personally pick the Chelsea, but I have a thing for cathedrals with double claw prongs these days. Go with your heart. I also have the Legera WB, and without a spacer, the Legera ate into my solitaire prongs. So you might want to consider the final aesthetic of the Legera with a 1-2mm spacer and your new setting, if that's a concern for you.

I'm sure you've considered this, but if your heart wants a 6 prong tapered shank, is the BG tapered half round too thin? I understand wanting a setting with some visual/physical weight to it.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...pered-classic-style-half-round-platinum-5540p

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Chelsea best followed by the Freya :D

kbonita4

Rough_Rock
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those settings. I would personally pick the Chelsea, but I have a thing for cathedrals with double claw prongs these days. Go with your heart. I also have the Legera WB, and without a spacer, the Legera ate into my solitaire prongs. So you might want to consider the final aesthetic of the Legera with a 1-2mm spacer and your new setting, if that's a concern for you.

I'm sure you've considered this, but if your heart wants a 6 prong tapered shank, is the BG tapered half round too thin? I understand wanting a setting with some visual/physical weight to it.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...pered-classic-style-half-round-platinum-5540p

Thanks for the reply Krisking! Ironically, I already purchased the Tapered classic. I still have time to decide on another setting. I just think it might be a little too thin, although I would like to stack my rings. I didn't think about how the Legara would set with a plain solitaire. Thanks for the heads-pup.

The Chelsea is my top two. What do you think about the knife edge?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m personally not a fan of knife edge, I don’t know why, I just don’t like it, and in this instance, I don’t think it would look right with your beautiful band. Sorry.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a huge fan of Tiffany 6-prong replicas (am on my 2nd one), however I like the Chelsea for you, followed by the last one. I feel like the middle two are too underwhelming and also probably too narrow for what you're looking for (since you mentioned wanting something with weight)

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@kstaton4, I have the BG knife edge, and I think it's classic. I also find it comfortable but not everyone does. Here's what it looks like with the Legera and a 2mm band. I also like a high setting, so BG altered it to sit as high as safely possible.

20171024_124629.jpg 20171102_142551.jpg

kbonita4

Rough_Rock
@Krisking OMG---your set is perfect! I can't believe you have the Legara band. It's been so hard to find pics with my exact band and a solitaire. Thanks for posting. Definitely gives some prospective.

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:dance::dance::dance:
Glad to help! Please keep us posted on your decision and come back with pics when it's all done!

kbonita4

Rough_Rock
@Krisking - I definitely will. Thanks for your help. What size finger are you, if you don't mind?

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Rings are 4.5, center stone is 1.5 ct.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Freya is a gorgeous setting!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your upgrade! Classic half round hands down! I personally prefer the tapered version of the ring, but I am not sure if it will be too thin for you.

Another solitaire setting from BGD that I love and don’t see on your list is the Elegance, I almost ordered that one for myself when I decided to go in a different direction.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/elegance-platinum-5415p

Another suggestion for you will be to tie your old legera setting into a new band. BGD can remove the head and add a few stones.

kbonita4

Rough_Rock
@SimoneDi - Thanks for the response! I was hung up the Elegance for almost two weeks. I wanted to modify it to include 6 prongs, instead of the four and diamonds on the basket. Quote came back a little to high. I really the like measurements on the Elegance. The Chelsea is actually a modified elegance with a different head.

"Another suggestion for you will be to tie your old legera setting into a new band. BGD can remove the head and add a few stones." I didn't know I could do that. That would be for a setting or band?

kbonita4

Rough_Rock
@SimoneDi
"Another suggestion for you will be to tie your old legera setting into a new band. BGD can remove the head and add a few stones." I didn't know I could do that. That would be for a setting or band?[/QUOTE]

Your idea was so brilliant, I had to call BG ASAP!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi
"Another suggestion for you will be to tie your old legera setting into a new band. BGD can remove the head and add a few stones." I didn't know I could do that. That would be for a setting or band?

Your idea was so brilliant, I had to call BG ASAP![/QUOTE]

Awe! I hope it works! I am not crazy about the double prongs on the Chelsea..I think that the overall look will be more square..I do still love the Elegance, it has everything that I love in a cathedral solitaire setting. I would not love it with 6 prongs because it will get too "metal-y". For 6 prongs, the classic half-round still gets my vote. In the end, however, you need to be happy with your choice!

kbonita4

Rough_Rock
Your idea was so brilliant, I had to call BG ASAP!

Awe! I hope it works! I am not crazy about the double prongs on the Chelsea..I think that the overall look will be more square..I do still love the Elegance, it has everything that I love in a cathedral solitaire setting. I would not love it with 6 prongs because it will get too "metal-y". For 6 prongs, the classic half-round still gets my vote. In the end, however, you need to be happy with your choice![/QUOTE]

If they can solder my original setting and current band together, I will probably end up getting either the tapered or classic half round. You're right, the Elegance with 6 prongs would have too much metal. I honestly like the Chelsea because of the tapered shank. I was going to see if I could live with the double prongs.

kbonita4

Rough_Rock
@kstaton4, I have the BG knife edge, and I think it's classic. I also find it comfortable but not everyone does. Here's what it looks like with the Legera and a 2mm band. I also like a high setting, so BG altered it to sit as high as safely possible.

20171024_124629.jpg 20171102_142551.jpg

@Krisking - so I ended up deviating completely and selecting the knife edge. I think it will give me a little bit of everything. Your pics helped me with my decision. If you could please post anymore you have, with the setting and legara band together, that would be really nice.

Last edited:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask BGD if they have samples of the settings to take pics with your band and send them to you.
They are usually very helpful in doing things like that.

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ps1.jpg ps3.jpg 20160816_165503-COLLAGE.jpg

Congrats on your decision! We can't wait to see the finished product! It will be beautiful. :love:

Here are a few old pics, hopefully helpful. (Again, this is not the stock setting, so ask for a height modification if you like it higher!)

kbonita4

Rough_Rock
ps1.jpg ps3.jpg 20160816_165503-COLLAGE.jpg

Congrats on your decision! We can't wait to see the finished product! It will be beautiful. :love:

Here are a few old pics, hopefully helpful. (Again, this is not the stock setting, so ask for a height modification if you like it higher!)

Thank you so much! @Krisking. The setting and band look great together:love:. I was concerned the legara would be too thin for the knife edge. I will definitely send over pics when I get them.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh good, welcome to the knife-edge club!

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous! And big and sparkly and delicate (the band) and well-proportioned. It looks amazing on your finger! Yea!! :dance:

kbonita4

Rough_Rock
It's gorgeous! And big and sparkly and delicate (the band) and well-proportioned. It looks amazing on your finger! Yea!! :dance:
Thank you so much! Your pics helped firm up my decision to go with the knife edge. I will say, the knife edge is surprisingly very comfortable, the same as the half round. Why does it get such a bad rap? Brian Gavin definitely perfected this setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results