shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with my Goldilocks Montana sapphire ring

leahallegra

Rough_Rock
Hi guys!
Long time lurker and lover of Montana sapphires, but first time poster! My lovely FI proposed to me back in August with a gorgeous ~3ct pale blue Montana sapphire-my perfect (albeit surprisingly large) stone! I didn't love the setting it was (first two pics with the baguette side diamonds) in so we designed a new organic, nature inspired ring to replace it. I'm in love with twirly, vine motifs.

Today we got it and it's huge. Just way too large for my small hands. It's tall, thick, wide, and heavy. When we got it, I saw my FI's expression drop and he immediately started asking me if this was really what I wanted, is it too big, etc making it seem all the worse. Its a custom job from a local store and they've worked so long and hard on it. Had to learn CAD skills they never had for it haha! The jewler recommended I wear it for a week and if I don't love it, take it back and they can try to fix it, which is exactly what I'll do for now.

I think it can be fixed by removing the two smaller white sapphires, ending the wide design where the side sapphires are since you can't see any more pattern past that point on my fingers, and making the vines and leaves thinner. We've spent so much time (and money!) on it I don't want it to cause any stress! Maybe there's a way to pinch the clasps inward or taper the band without losing all of the detail? Suggestions? Comments? Anything? Help!

Attachments

• IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2573.JPG
    IMG_2573.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3180.JPG
    IMG_3180.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3181.JPG
    IMG_3181.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3176.JPG
    IMG_3176.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 17

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you have a picture?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @leahallegra -

It's not really possible to give an opinion till we see it from all its angles. So get snapping and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of suggestions. :)

leahallegra

Rough_Rock
Sorry I'm super new and apparently don't know how to upload pics! Thought I did and actually I did not! Hahaha IMG_2572.JPG IMG_2574.JPG
IMG_3182.JPG
IMG_3180.JPG
IMG_3181.JPG
IMG_3176.JPG

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it's never a good sign when the designer admits they've never done anything similar before. Unfortunately though it's too late for that kind of talk.

Does it look like what you asked for more or less? Had the jeweler made a mistake? Yes I think thinning the shank would make it more comfortable.
If you really don't like it ask them what options you have for return, partial return, or store credit. Particularly if you can point out aspects of the ring that didn't meet the expectations they set.

leahallegra

Rough_Rock
It looks like what I wanted...just really large and thick. I loved a lot of the design elements on a few rings-especially this one but wanted less engraving and their own interpretation of it. But unlike mine, the inspiration ring is much much thinner and tapers down the sides
IMG_2596.jpg
The CAD looked good I was reassured that they just file it down extra metal. The jeweler told me that if I still don't like it after a week they'll fix it, so I'm not panicking, just trying to figure out if it's even possible to thin and taper the ring or if a complete redesign is needed
IMG_2879.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How wide is the shank at the bottom currently?
Recast for sure.
I think if they lower the profile and taper to at least 2mm at the bottom of the shank it will be lovely.
I know you asked for no engraving, but if they did go over the cast design with some engraving to give it depth (not design) - it would help with the rich feel the original does have.
I agree it's not ideal to use a jeweler that has never done something specific before, but if they are willing to keep on trying (and not charge you for each try) and if you've got the time and patience and mindset - why not?
Pretty stone!

Edited for clarity

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you should not wait too long to have your jeweler redesign or help with modifications on your existing setting. Do you have the original CADs to show us what the original design was suppose to look like? Maybe post them here if you have them available.

I think the profile of your ring could be improved as the picture of the profile shows gaps whereas the inspiration picture it appears that the leaves and vine are flatter and no apparent gaps like your setting. But it is hard to tell from the inspiration picture unless there is a better profile picture.

I also went online and found this example from another site that shows the setting in various angles, profiles, and 3D!! Cut and past the link below. This ring has leaves and vines. The 3D image can be manipulated with a mouse, so you can view the profile, underneath the galley, and all angles!

https://www.jewlr.com/products/JWL0...MI7sP6vOXV1gIVB5d-Ch0JugygEAQYBCABEgKlGvD_BwE

I hope that this example will help you to identify what you want your jeweler to modify or remake a new setting that you love and want to wear with your beautiful Montana Sapphire!

-C4C

leahallegra

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your suggestions!
The shank on the bottom is quite thick so it would certainly be able to taper to 2mm. Ill definitely consider adding some light engraving to give it some depth.
@Rfisher thats exactly what I was thinking in terms of staying with this jeweler- so long as they keep working with me for no charge, its good experience for them and Ill eventually get my ring : )

@C4C the original CAD for my ring is this . It looked good, although a little thick, and I was told it would be much thinner in person which it wasnt. It does have gaps although I dont have problems with the gaps, just the size. I actually think the gaps now make the stone brighter compared to the first setting it was in.

IMG_2878.jpg IMG_2879.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you really need to simplify the design. I think I would go with a regular basket and skip the curly cues in the gallery area. I would make the
design on the sides not as wide and not have so much going on. It just feels really heavy too me.

leahallegra

Rough_Rock
I think you really need to simplify the design. I think I would go with a regular basket and skip the curly cues in the gallery area. I would make the
design on the sides not as wide and not have so much going on. It just feels really heavy too me.
I completely agree with decreasing the side width and am leaning toward completely getting rid of the design under the white sapphires and just tapering it into a plain band and probably getting rid of the sapphires or moving them to the center of the band at the split between the design and the plain band, then making all the design elements thinner

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the redesign, see if you can get CADs like the image below. That way we can see how big/small everything is. How high your stone will
set off your finger..etc...
Post them here so we can give advice.

This are David Klass CADS from a setting that PSer Kristine Johnson (avatar name) is having made.
marquise cad design.JPG

leahallegra

Rough_Rock
On the redesign, see if you can get CADs like the image below. That way we can see how big/small everything is. How high your stone will
set off your finger..etc...
Post them here so we can give advice.

This are David Klass CADS from a setting that PSer Kristine Johnson (avatar name) is having made.
marquise cad design.JPG
Thats such a helpful suggestion, tyty! Ill be talking to the CAD designer tomorrow and Ill ask if I can have CAD files with dimensions like that if we redesign so you all can keep helping : )

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire is so beautiful!

My very honest opinion is that your jeweler is just not the right one for what you want. I just don't see the design or finished product being very good. Having them alter it is is extremely risky and has little chance of making it right. My advice when the first try shows that they can't do what you want, that it's best to cut your losses and move on to someone who does what you want well. Not all ringmakers are gifted in design, so you absolutely cannot go into a project like this thinking they can put their own spin on it.

A jeweler that is very excellent at that type of organic design is Greenlake Jewelry. I am linking you just one page of their custom floral rings and you can see several in the style you are wanting. But I'd look through Curvy, Carved, and probably Organic, too.

https://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?fil3=rdfl&fil2=mtg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results