shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with identification.

CaptVisser

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I really need your help. I got a whole bunch of gemstones from my mother in law and I have NO idea what they are worth or even what they are. Can you guys help me identify and price them??

Now according to her they paid $600 a carat at the time and this stone is 10.2 carat. Can you maybe tell me what it's worth?

Any help will be appreciated

imag0058.jpg

CaptVisser

Rough_Rock
It's difficult to take photos up close!

_15048.jpg

imag0059.jpg

imag0052.jpg

_15049.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The paper tells me that it is a green grossular garnet, which is the answer to your question. The large size is uncommon and pricing has increased recently. I would not hazard price/ct knowing that the colour accuracy is probably not accurate.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Now you should know that no one an do identification from pictures online. But good guesses and discussion of educated guesses can be made. You also seem to have the benefit of a note written perhaps at the time of purchase? Still it is hard to decipher. The fisrt part seems like an abbreviation for Chrysoberyl, while the rest says grossular garnet. Perhaps chrysoberyl green is her description of the garnet's color. Could be. Still better pictures that show the color accurately with a neutral white balance would help us a lot. The cutting looks quite good. Valuation is beyond the scope of this forum, but I can say that IF it is a green grossular of over 10 carats and is of fine coloration and cut, well in TODAY's market her $600 per carat could have been modest.

eta: Identification of stones is what lab reports are for. AGL or GIA if you are in USA. Valuations for insurance, replacement, retail and for an individual can vary greatly

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The rest of it seems to say 13.4 mm round. The cutting does look good from the little we can see. Could you take photos, as VL suggested, on a neutral white background -- and with the stone right side up? It would be helpful. Nobody can give you a definite i.d. from photos, however, nor a valuation. As VL also said, AGL is your best bet to confirm what it is & then you can have it appraised.

What are the other gemstones from your MIL?

--- Laurie

CaptVisser

Rough_Rock
Hi, thanks a lot for your help. I will try to take better photos. I haven't really looked at them, but she has been collecting from the late 60's and she have about 1200 gemstones. What they are I don't know. She said I can have them if I want.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
ZOIKS!!

We will be needing photos, a catalogue raisonné!

CaptVisser

Rough_Rock
OK, I've tried but I only have my phone camera.... :(

But this photos will give you a better idea

imag0060.jpg

imag0061.jpg

imag0064.jpg

CaptVisser

Rough_Rock
The photos where i'm holding it shows the color the best

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If you have a pick of any of the stones, pick the ones with the most neon/vivid/bright/intense colors. Things that remind you of Fanta orange soda, candy cane red, cobalt blue, hot pink, bright bluish-greens etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results