shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help With Engagement Ring!

Tyler755

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am in the process of buying an engagement ring and decided to go online via Blue Nile. I have done a lot of research and got some advice from someone at The Diamond Pros. I wanted to post here to get a third party opinion on here that is unbiased. I also wanted to make sure that I am not missing anything or misunderstanding something. Please don't hesitate to correct me if I am wrong about something.

My price is ceiling price for a ring is 6k. This is the setting and potential diamond I am looking to get:

https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...amond-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold_74449
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD14172745?track=rvslat&elem=2

I am looking to get something "eye clean", which I am told should always be Ideal cut and have low to no fluorescence. If it has medium to high fluorescence on a "near colorless" diamond, it can make it look cloudy. Additionally, I want to find something that is VS1-VS2 so it is almost free of imperfections and be G or H "near colorless".

I initially was thinking platinum for the ring, but was told to go white gold. The reasoning was that white gold needs to be "dipped" every few years while platinum needs to be polished as well because it scratches more easily.

Am I missing anything? Anything I should be taking into account that I am not? Any reason not to buy with Blue Nile even though they have a great return policy?

This is the largest purchase I have ever made online so this process is very stressful! I want to make sure I am understanding everything correctly and not getting influenced into the wrong direction.

Thanks for any help!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All things considered, the diamond you picked is very nice! Well done! It’s a bit deep at 62.6, and the crown angle is a tad steep at 35.5, but it is complimented with 40.6 pavilion angle so it works. The pic and video look good. You should ask for advanced images (hearts and arrows, IS or ASET). Blue Nile may or may not be able to provide them, but they are helpful in gauging the precision of the cut and light performance. Even without those, it looks like a great choice and Blue Nile is reputable with a good return policy. The only thing I’d suggest is considering a lower color to save some money or to go up in size. At a carat and below, you can get away with going a bit lower in color without seeing tint. I easily find most GIA graded I diamonds to be quite white and with no discernible tint. GL

Tyler755

Rough_Rock
All things considered, the diamond you picked is very nice! Well done! It’s a bit deep at 62.6, and the crown angle is a tad steep at 35.5, but it is complimented with 40.6 pavilion angle so it works. The pic and video look good. You should ask for advanced images (hearts and arrows, IS or ASET). Blue Nile may or may not be able to provide them, but they are helpful in gauging the precision of the cut and light performance. Even without those, it looks like a great choice and Blue Nile is reputable with a good return policy. The only thing I’d suggest is considering a lower color to save some money or to go up in size. At a carat and below, you can get away with going a bit lower in color without seeing tint. I easily find most GIA graded I diamonds to be quite white and with no discernible tint. GL

How far down is color would you suggest? When does it become noticeable to the untrained eye?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How far down is color would you suggest? When does it become noticeable to the untrained eye?
Color is very objective. Some people are very color sensitive and only DEF will do. Others will only consider that color range due to cultural preferences. Some people actually prefer the warmth of lower colors or cannot see or aren’t bothered by the tint. And color is more obvious in larger sizes, so most people are comfortable going 1-2 grades lower than in larger diamonds. If you can get in to a local jeweler to see GIA graded diamonds in the approximate size you are considering in various colors (ideally NOT under jewelry store lighting, which is designed to make all diamonds look white and sparkly), that will help you determine your color sensitivity and tolerance. In general though, at a carat and under a GIA graded I color is usually white enough for most people.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I want to suggest asking David Klass for quote to fabricate the setting, I think $1800 for a setting is a lot. You might be able to save a few hundred there and maybe put it towards a matching wedding band

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting is lovely but as it’s 3mm wide I‘d worry that your diamond might not stand out. Also the diamonds in the setting are I Si2, just wanted to point that out. Possibly consider a slimmer band and put more $ into the diamond?

Tyler755

Rough_Rock
I want to suggest asking David Klass for quote to fabricate the setting, I think $1800 for a setting is a lot. You might be able to save a few hundred there and maybe put it towards a matching wedding band

I will look into this! Thanks!

Tyler755

Rough_Rock
Color is very objective. Some people are very color sensitive and only DEF will do. Others will only consider that color range due to cultural preferences. Some people actually prefer the warmth of lower colors or cannot see or aren’t bothered by the tint. And color is more obvious in larger sizes, so most people are comfortable going 1-2 grades lower than in larger diamonds. If you can get in to a local jeweler to see GIA graded diamonds in the approximate size you are considering in various colors (ideally NOT under jewelry store lighting, which is designed to make all diamonds look white and sparkly), that will help you determine your color sensitivity and tolerance. In general though, at a carat and under a GIA graded I color is usually white enough for most people.

Thanks for the advice!

Do you think if the color on the side diamond is I, it will be noticeable against a G or H main diamond?

Last edited:

Tyler755

Rough_Rock
The setting is lovely but as it’s 3mm wide I‘d worry that your diamond might not stand out. Also the diamonds in the setting are I Si2, just wanted to point that out. Possibly consider a slimmer band and put more $ into the diamond?

The other bands I was also looking into below are also has a similar color and clarity. I didn't see any alternatives with a similar style that didn't. Do you feel these are not priced appropriately?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the 2mm 1/4 carat.

What is your GF's ring size? (I might consider going up if your GF has a larger ring size.)

The color on the side diamonds (melee or pave) with a G or H center will be fine. Small diamonds (pave) dont show color like larger diamonds
(your main stone).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results