shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help with Earring Reset

lage

Rough_Rock
I have a pair of diamond studs in basket screw back settings that I would like reset in either 6 or 8 prong martini settings with La Pousette backs. I prefer platinum, but would consider 14kt white gold. James Allen has the setting styles I like, but will only set their own stones in earrings - same with IDJ. Does anyone know of a Jeweler in the NJ/NY area who carries such settings and are willing to reset stones not purchased from them?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been 5 years, so policies may have changed since, but try Brilliantly Engaged or Good Old Gold.

sassy_pants

Rough_Rock
I also have basket set studs and after 7 years of putting them on daily, the screw backs were driving me crazy! I was looking to do a reset for the La Pousette backs when I heard about Chrysmela catch backs, $50 on Amazon. I use them with the screw posts, and I love them. They are very secure and now I can get my earrings on and off about 100 times faster than when I was using the screw backs. Also, in shopping for my current pair of basket studs, I did buy and end up returning martini-style settings (WF handmade 3-prong) because I felt they were stretching out my piercing. The basket style was more comfortable and also added some visual size, in my opinion. I know this wasn't your question, but thought I'd mention my experience in case it could solve your issues for $50!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not in NY but BGD may be willing to do it for you. Or David Klass.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Try Tarrytown Jewelers in Hartsdale, NY

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Brilliantly Engaged will take outside stones. They just did my reset. I had 3ct. diamond studs with la pousette backs. They ended up going custom because I wanted them extremely low set but they reused my posts and backs since they are so expensive. They did have other options other than custom though, but thought it was best for custom in my case.

Here is the thread on them. They are 4 prong and they did a really nice job.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-engaged-solitaire-3-stone-ring-studs.224433/

lage

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all. I have inquiries out to BGD, BE, and SK, so will see what comes back. Whiteflash carries 6 and 8 prong settings, but would charge an additional $300 to set my stones in them. I'd rather put the extra money into a custom setting. Tweeter, your earrings (and rings) are lovely. I would be happy with a similar setting. From your pictures, they look like a 4 prong martini settings.

lage

Rough_Rock
Tweeter, I have a few questions for you about your earrings (I received quotes back from BE, BGD, and SK, and plan to move forward with BE). Are your earrings made of platinum or white gold (18 or 14kt) and did they use a cad design process? Thank you in advance!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have the screw back version of tweeters earrings. Got them before martini and champaign backs were available. Love them. They sit flush and will not expand your piercing.

lage

Rough_Rock
Thank you Rocks. I would love to see a picture of your earrings if you have one. Your feedback along with Tweeter's helped me make the decision to move forward with BE and now I wait anxiously for the first cad rendering. Chris was very responsive, kind, and patient, which helped as well.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lage!
My earrings are in platinum. I actually didn't see any CADs on them. Chris said the jeweler wanted to be sure the diamonds were super low set so decided to go custom since they weren't happy with the stock settings. Then a few days later he said they were ready to ship! I didn't think much of it at the time. I think if I had input, the only change I would have made was made the base of the (donut) a little larger. I really like how the stems in the basket are rounded vs. straight in my old baskets.

Let us know how the project progresses! :D

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh I just realized you posted your question a couple days ago. I have been traveling so I have had less PS time! Sorry! I will keep a watch on this thread!

lage

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Tweeter. I also like the curved prongs vs straight and am going with platinum (current 18kt posts can bend easy and I don't want to bother with replating over time). Chris suggested that the 5mm La Pousette backs would be big enough for my 1.32ct studs (5.7mm diameter). However, I don't want the earrings to droop so am contemplating going with the 7mm backs. Part of my concern with larger backs is that they might show. Although I have 7mm screw backs now, the posts cut and expanded my piercings so now I have a slit instead of a small hole (regretting that I ever went with screw backs and am contemplating trying to get my piercings repaired/made smaller - if that it possible). When the earrings slip down, I can see the backs. What size are your backs and do you have any problems/concerns with the La Pousette backs? My appologies for all the questions - I am much appreciative of all your help.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
My backs look like they are 6mm and the safety part that you squeeze to put on/off adds another 1mm, so they probably are the same ones Chris has. I didn't know they came bigger! I would get those in a heartbeat and plan to ask Chris about them to replace mine. I really like the poessette backs but if they come loose, my earrings will droop. I am not sure if the backs become loose after a while from wear. They are over 4 years old and I wear them daily (but remove them daily to sleep). I know some PSers swear by jumbo backs! I have smaller earlobes so can't go bigger than 9mm. That is another option for me but I am not going there yet. My current backs work as long as I push them tight and check them during the day. I hope that helps a bit!!!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Could Chris send you both sizes and you send back the ones you don't want? Or are they different posts? Let me know if you find that out! :D

lage

Rough_Rock
Our current plan is to travel into the city and have the stones reset that day, so I might be able to compare back sizes when there and make a decision then (hopefully). I will need to ask Chris next week if they stock the backs or order the posts and backs as a set for each job. Safe travels!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to hear what you find out!

lage

Rough_Rock
Tweeter, I heard back from Chris that they can have both sizes of La Pousette backs available for me to choose from when I pick up the earrings. Not sure if that means BE carries both sizes in stock or not.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
That is great!! Let me know what you think! I hope your visit and reset goes well!!

lage

Rough_Rock
Picked up the reset earrings today - they are exactly what I wanted. Chris at BE was great to work with. I decided to go with the largest backs (7mm). Below are iPhone pictures. Thank you all for your help!

img_12762.jpg

img_12763.jpg

img_12764.jpg

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
The baskets are beautiful! It looks like they did a nice job of making them low set!! I am glad you are happy with the reset!
:appl:
Thanks for sharing the results!!!

lage

Rough_Rock
Thank you… and here is an ear shot. My lobes are large, so the 1.32tcw studs are a good size for everyday wear.

ear_5.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results