shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help with Buying Sapphire

keeks0921

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

My boyfriend and I are currently working with an online jeweler to custom design an engagement ring. Right now, I'm in love with this gem she has shown me. It's a GIA Certified 5.69 carat peach sapphire. 11.4mm x 8.5mm. Waiting on the seller to just send over the GIA report for the specifics.

I don't need it to be perfect, but I'd like to make sure I'm getting a good stone. I have a novice eye, so I'd appreciate the input all the experts here could give me. Thanks! :)

img_6875_1.jpg

Video Clip: http://s446.photobucket.com/user/keeks0921/media/IMG_8236_zpspobbgxnk.mp4.html

larryfish

Rough_Rock
It is best to start from scratch with a rough stone, such as mine in the photo. Bring it to a jeweler
to have it cut and shine!

img_20150822_163650.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
larryfish|1444003138|3934837 said:
It is best to start from scratch with a rough stone, such as mine in the photo. Bring it to a jeweler
to have it cut and shine!

It is not always best to find rough first op.

And larryfish, please stop posting pictures for no reason in people's threads.

larryfish

Rough_Rock
If you start from scratch, you"ll know what you're getting

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
larryfish|1444004882|3934845 said:
If you start from scratch, you"ll know what you're getting

Knowing what a cut gemstone will look like from rough is not an easy task. So no, if you start from scratch, you can't guarantee, as a newbie, what the finished gemstone will look like.

larryfish

Rough_Rock
not looks, authenticity!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Op how much does that stone cost? I know you said you do t need perfection, but is the color perfect for YOU ?

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Hi Keeks

to second Niel, let us know the ballpark of what you're paying. It will help us try and index the value of what you're getting.

If you're in love with it - that's always good. I guess you want to know, are you grossly overpaying, can you do better for your budget.

It is quite hard for us to critique a stone in isolation, especially as you have already confessed that you love it.

Unfortunately I cannot open the video.

One important factor is the level of treatment of the stone, which the GIA report will disclose. Look up the number online too to verify the report.

If you are buying on Etsy, make sure a mutually agreeable return policy is in place, pay via paypal and make sure they ship the finished ring before your paypal protection expires (180 days? - please check).

It would also give us a good idea to know approx how many stones you have considered. The more stones we see the better our 'eye' becomes.

Finally let us know how you plan to set it. I imagine a diamond halo in rose gold - perhaps I am way off.

S

SparkliesLuver

I second the other comments about sharing a bit more info, if possible. The video link didn't work for me either.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
keeks0921|1443664621|3933669 said:
I don't need it to be perfect, but I'd like to make sure I'm getting a good stone. I have a novice eye, so I'd appreciate the input all the experts here could give me. Thanks! :)

If you love the stone and we point out major flaws/issues, it will only create mind clean issues for you. What is a "good stone" in your mind?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1444134475|3935322 said:
keeks0921|1443664621|3933669 said:

If you love the stone and we point out major flaws/issues, it will only create mind clean issues for you. What is a "good stone" in your mind?

+1 to this! It's hard to tell anyone what is "good" to them, since it all depends on your personal preferences. What about the stone to you like specifically? Or what worries you about it? That gives us a good starting point for trying to figure out whether you are getting a good deal, have a good stone, etc. Congrats on starting this process, and awesome that you and the bf are doing it together :) Please let us know as you move along in the search!

keeks0921

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I checked the GIA report:

Weight 5.69 carat
Measurements 11.39 x 8.48 x 6.24 mm
Shape Cushion
Cutting Style: Crown MODIFIED BRILLIANT CUT
Cutting Style: Pavilion STEP CUT
Transparency TRANSPARENT
Color: Light Orangy Yellow
Item Description: One loose stone
CONCLUSION
Species Natural Corundum
Variety Natural Sapphire
Geographic Origin Not Requested
TREATMENT(S)

NO INDICATIONS OF HEATING

Here are some more pictures of it set on top of white gold and rose gold to show it a bit better. For the setting, I'm thinking just a simple micropave rose gold band with no halo. The seller is quoting about $6000 for stone and custom 18k rose gold setting and said that that is heavily discounted.

I've looked at quite a few sapphires in this color scheme, but most have skewed too pink for me. I've looked at diamonds, as well, but I just don't think they're my thing. I like the color of this stone because, to me, it has almost a vintage look to it.

I essentially just want a stone that's eye clean, and I don't want to be ripped off. (Big standards here!)

I uploaded the video onto youtube...hopefully that works! https://youtu.be/YKuQdRVr2Mc

Thanks everyone!

img_6875.jpeg

img_6880.jpeg

img_6881.jpeg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it classified as a Pad sapphire? If so it's probably about right retail price wise if not then it's on the expensive side. I don't like the window I can see in it in your first hand shot and I can also see it in the video, a rose gold setting might in part help hide it.... I am not a fan of the colour but I think if you don't like pinks then I respect your colour choice.... It does look better in the video colourwise than the still pics do.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For your budget, here are your trade-offs.
1. The stone looks hazy (not sparkly)
2. The stone is not well cut (not sparkly)

That said, the colour is pleasing and it is a large untreated sapphire.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I was just going to reply, but Chrono beat me to it. =)

I think the color is very pretty- but i just purchased a peach sapphire,too. :twirl: And I really like your setting idea-simple and elegant. But, I can't tell from the photos or video if it's eye clean. And eye clean can be subjective- 6 inches? 12 inches? You have to be specific with the vendor. And I agree with Chrono- it doesn't sparkle much... And that window would really bother me... But that's me, it may not bother you, and it's a large untreated sapphire(which is good!). I don't really know about the price- not a lot for comparisons in color. Mine was classified "light orange" by AGL and is only 2 carats- so I can't really say if it's a decent price. One other thing I want to bring up is mine changes considerably depending on the lighting. I would want to see photos in different lights. Since yours is a base yellow- it may turn yellow or clear in some lighting. If it's not sparkly and turns clear or yellow you might feel differently about it.

keeks0921

Rough_Rock
Is the window something that can be minimized with the right setting? Is this a stone that could potentially be recut in the future if the window turns out to be an issue?

Also, I'll ask to see the stone in different lighting--I hadn't thought about that!

Sorry about the ridiculous questions--this is the first piece of expensive jewelry I'll have ever gotten specifically for me. I'm the only girl on both sides of the family, so I usually just (happily) inherit everybody's precious gems. :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Due to the light colouration, unless the stone is heavily cupped, the window will probably remain obvious. The downside of extreme cupping is the inability to properly clean the underside of the stone where debris will inevitable lodge and further reduce the amount of sparkle. Coloured stones also need a lot of light to sparkle, so cupping hampers this.

If the stone is included to the point of being hazy, it may not be a good candidate for recutting. In recutting, if drastic, you can lose a lot of carat weight, end up looking smaller face up and the colour will be affected. I am concerned that since it is light to begin with, it may be further washed out if too much material is removed. Initial calculations also indicate that the stone is a little shallow, so a recut will entail more material loss. That said, I am not a lapidary so it is best to have a lapidary assess this stone in person to be able to advice you correctly.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there :wavey:

I also tend to stay away from pink tones, but I found a few sapphires from a well-respected board vendor that might be not too pink, but still have a bit more saturation and be better cut than the stone you are currently considering. Also, do you want a stone to be more orange than pink? Or do you prefer the light peach color without too much pink?

One thing that might rule out some of these options is your budget and size.

Do you strongly prefer a larger stone (3+ carats)?
Is your ideal budget around 6K for both stone + setting?

If so then some of these might not work, but just wanted to give you an idea of what this vendor has, as they might be another option for you. These definitely have some pink in them, but they don't have *too* much pink to my eye. Of course feel free to ignore me since I know different people see things differently. Just more options for you to see :)

sapphire_pink_499_A.jpg sapphire_pink_502_A.jpg sapphire_pink_468_A.jpg sapphire_pink_452_A.jpg sapphire_pink_502_A-1.jpg sapphire_pink_500_A.jpg

keeks0921

Rough_Rock
Coralfish: I actually LOVE that stone. It's beyond beautiful! That's the color I like...maybe even a little more pale. I wish I could afford something similar!

Lovedogs: I like the first stone you posted! Because I'm so new to this, I am unsure how to go about ordering a stone separately and then finding a designer.

The designer sent me more pictures of the stone...I think I'm going to pass on it. In the sunlight, it skews way too orange when I wanted more of a peach/champagne color, I think. I've attached them here so people can see.

I don't really care if the sapphire is that big--I have size 4.75 fingers, so I was a little afraid of it overwhelming them. I'd like it to have decent finger coverage, but I don't need a big ole honkin' stone. :)

img_9580.jpg

img_9581.jpg

img_9583.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I see a lot of yellow in those last photos!

There are several great designers who will set gems. Depending on budget you can go anywhere from hand forged to cast. We can certainly help with recommendations once you've found the sapphire that makes your heart sing.

Is this the one you like? I would ask Andrew about his statement that it turns a yellow peach in n daylight just to make sure it's not too yellow for you. It does look very pretty in his photos and is well cut,too.

sapphire_pink_499_a.jpg

teklit

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1444236007|3935867 said:

GAH! I'm thinking about one of those stones!! Put them away!!
Seriously though, if I miss out o it, then it wasn't meant to be. No worries. :)

I wanted to make a suggestion to keeks.
Have you checked out GOG's AV cushion or round?
He has some in tinted colors and they have a vintage feel. I really like the tinted stones with that cut, they are really unique, and it works. I'm considering those too or the CAC.

keeks0921

Rough_Rock
Because this seller has been so responsive and great, I asked her what other stones she had in stock that may be of interest to me. She sent a few that I wasn't particularly interested in, but this one made my heart flutter a bit. It's unheated, but not certified. She said she would be willing to send it into GIA or bring it to a private lab (GLS LA) to get it certified if I would like (GLS LA would be two days, GIA would be 6 weeks. Would either option be okay if I chose this stone?). From my novice eye, this has much more sparkle than the previous, but I'd love to hear everyone's take on it. It's 3.26 carats, 9.45mm x 6.8mm.

Video: https://youtu.be/s0iiul_dAHE

Also, the videos and pictures are taken with an iPhone, so that's why they're a little blurry.

img_9586.jpg

img_9587.jpg

img_9588.jpg

QuantumStuff

Rough_Rock
There really is no certification. You're simply getting a professional opinion from a lab. And AGL is often regarded as the foremost authority for colored stones. GIA, on the other hand, is the foremost authority on diamonds (general consensus). I just had a padparadscha examined from AGL and it only took 3 weeks from door to door...$150.

Personally, I would go for a smaller stone with stronger color. Recently another PS'er bought a ~3 ct. "padparadscha' that was incredible. I think he paid somewhere around $15,000. I think he bought it from Finewater Gems.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely prefer the most recent stone to the original one you posted. It sparkles much more, and doesn't seem to have a window (that I can see in the video). Sorry, I can't really comment on what lab to use, just wanted to comment that I like this stone :)

keeks0921

Rough_Rock
Thanks, lovedogs! Looking between the two stones, I can see what everyone was saying regarding sparkles, etc. I'm glad you like it! I was feeling sort of hopeless after the last one turned out to be such a bust. :doh:

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
I also like this latest stone much better than your first stone. Can she send it to AGL for a Gem Brief. This should be a bit faster and won't give any more information than the GIA report (unless you upgrade to Origin opinion for a significant extra fee, which you can also do with AGL by upgrading to Origin opinion with Prestige report, which is a step up from plain Prestige, which is a step up from Brief... details on their site). I think (not sure, please check) if you choose to upgrade Brief to Prestige you only pay the difference... please double check. AGL should be quicker than 6 weeks too, but they are in NY and do not have a LA lab unlike the GIA.

Can you also tell us the depth of the stone in mm please.

keeks0921

Rough_Rock
The seller said she can send me the depth tomorrow morning, which I will share here ASAP. She also said it would be fine to send it to AGL.

I had no idea so many different reports existed! I'm fascinated by all of this--I hope this isn't the start of an (expensive) hobby! :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much nicer stone than the first one you are considering. I would spring for the AGL brief as well; faster and cheaper. The other one is an "unknown" lab which I do not have confidence in their opinion. Have you asked the vendor about the indoor/outdoor colour shift? I would like to see the side view/profile of the stone as well to see the distribution of the crown versus pavilion height.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Keeks0921

Thanks for sharing your stone selection and ring design journey with us. You are and will continue to get excellent advice and feedback here. I love the color and design you are working towards.

I want to chime in and recommend that you look for and try in several rings in that color combo in real life (if you haven't already). It is very important to see how it will look on your on hand and with your personal skin tone and coloring. You can put any green blue or violet gem on my hand and looks great in yellow, white or rose gold. But reds oranges, peaches and yellow are so tricky for me. The halo helps a lot but it took me a long while and some mistakes along the way to figure out how to wear these beautiful colors.

I'll be following this thread Such beautiful gems! Have fun and enjoy the process

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results