shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help: White gold engagement ring and Rose gold wedband?

chadd

Rough_Rock
Hi, I need some experienced opinions on this. I'm looking to get a pear diamond in a halo. Now my girlfriend has said she really likes rose gold, but from what I've read rose gold will make the diamond appear somewhat pink in the halo. Now the question is, should I just go white gold for the engagement ring and recommend a rose gold wedding band later? Or should I just do rose gold and risk some de colouring of the diamond? ALso, I've heard of people doing 2 tone(white gold halo/rose gold the rest) but I'm on a time crunch and not sure if I could have that done on time and within budget.

any opinions would be appreciated, thanks

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Need Help: White gold engagement ring and Rose gold wedb

You don't say what your time frame is but I would think most of the PS recommended vendors could make the head/halo out of white gold and make the shank out of rose gold. Since the halo will be made to fit the stone, I don't think having two colors will add time to the making of the ring.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If your girlfriend wants rose gold, just get rose gold. My SIL has a ring with a rose gold head and it doesn't seem to affect the color of her diamond - if it does, it is to such a minimal extent that you'd only be able to notice it if a similar diamond in a white gold head was right next to it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you wants rose gold you had really better get her rose gold.

It won't make the diamond look pink, it may reflect some, but not enough to not get her what she wants. Being a pear, you're just going to need to get her a colorless diamond. This is true for pears in general (with exceptions) but because of this, the rose gold won't be a factor. If anything, it'll help it look whiter by comparison

Let us know if you need help, pears are difficult to pick, particularly for a newbie.

With yourbtimefram, budget, and ring requirements were more than happy to help :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I've never heard of rose gold making a white diamond look pink :confused:
I have a platinum round halo and a rose gold/diamond eternity band and they look lovely together. I also have white diamonds set in rose gold and they do not "appear" light pink....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The issue would be rose gold prongs reflecting in the diamond. A white metal halo will have the effect of making the diamond look larger while the rose gold halo will show the diamond as the size it is.

I'd be absolutely SURE about what she wants. Can you tell her you may start shopping in a few months and need some inspiration pics of rings she loves? Just because I like rose gold does not mean I'd want a totally rose gold e-ring.

You definitely need some help choosing a pear because there are so many bad ones out there. What size are you looking for? Budget?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1447379651|3949027 said:
The issue would be rose gold prongs reflecting in the diamond. A white metal halo will have the effect of making the diamond look larger while the rose gold halo will show the diamond as the size it is.

I'd be absolutely SURE about what she wants. Can you tell her you may start shopping in a few months and need some inspiration pics of rings she loves? Just because I like rose gold does not mean I'd want a totally rose gold e-ring.

You definitely need some help choosing a pear because there are so many bad ones out there. What size are you looking for? Budget?

its so funny because you dont advise this when its white metal

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't having a darker metal (and when I say "darker" I mean yellow or rose gold as opposed to white gold or platinum) be beneficial to the color of a diamond if the stone has some warmth? In other words, If OP chose a diamond with a little bit of warmth, couldn't a rose gold setting potentially make the stone appear a little brighter (as opposed to a white metal setting, which might bring out the warmth)? I realize that this isn't exactly what OP is asking for here - I was just curious about diamond colors/metal colors in general terms.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hope you come back i found an aaaamazing pear on JA :naughty:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hope you come back i found an aaaamazing pear on JA :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1447381047|3949047 said:

I don't need to advise that if the poster knows the other person wants white metal. In this case, he asked if the halo should be in rose gold or white metal (or the whole ring in white metal) which tells me he doesn't know exactly what she wants. If she said "I want my engagement ring and wedding band to be all rose gold", then that is what I would tell him to find. Since he clearly doesn't know, he is taking a risk no matter what he does. That is why I suggested he find out what SHE really wants. There's no way for us to accurately guess that.

chadd

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1447388085|3949101 said:

I don't need to advise that if the poster knows the other person wants white metal. In this case, he asked if the halo should be in rose gold or white metal (or the whole ring in white metal) which tells me he doesn't know exactly what she wants. If she said "I want my engagement ring and wedding band to be all rose gold", then that is what I would tell him to find. Since he clearly doesn't know, he is taking a risk no matter what he does. That is why I suggested he find out what SHE really wants. There's no way for us to accurately guess that.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. the only things she's mentioned is rose gold and a pear, the rest is up to me. I've been looking at buying from james allen. This is the setting I'm looking st, you can see what I mean by kind of a pink look at fhe diamond.
http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/halo/14k-yellow-gold-pave-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41436

I'm looking at around $4000 for a total budget, and am also unsure of what color/clarity to go for. I'm looking at about .5-.6 vs1-vs2 d-f. Neil if you could send me a link to that pear or other recommendations that would be great. I'm still worried about the setting though
Edit: i'd like to have the ring in under 6 weeks...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Im just saying if he came in and said " my girlfriend said she really likes platinum but im worried what it will do to a J color diamond in a halo" Im not sure you would have said the same. But im sorry, I was just making a comment more on personal bias in general. Rose gold is pretty popular with the younger crowd, im not surprised thats what she wants for an e-ring

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chadd|1447398884|3949151 said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. the only things she's mentioned is rose gold and a pear, the rest is up to me. I've been looking at buying from james allen. This is the setting I'm looking st, you can see what I mean by kind of a pink look at fhe diamond.
http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/halo/14k-yellow-gold-pave-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41436

I'm looking at around $4000 for a total budget, and am also unsure of what color/clarity to go for. I'm looking at about .5-.6 vs1-vs2 d-f. Neil if you could send me a link to that pear or other recommendations that would be great. I'm still worried about the setting though
Edit: i'd like to have the ring in under 6 weeks...

ok, I found two. one is cheaper, but of course the more expensive one is my favorite, as that one has more of an antique pear look to it.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.70-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-739220

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.92-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-559084

the .70 is probably your best bet, but the .92 is a stunner IMO so it needed to be shared lol. youd only be able to afford a basic solitaire with that though

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just trying to inform him of the differences and the fact that she may have a preference for one or the other. He was considering going with all white metal, which I think would be a mistake if she is expecting rose gold! I am not against rose gold at all, but I believe it will not be as timeless as white metal (yg comes and goes as well). If it is impossible to see pictures of rings that she loves, I personally would do the shank in rose gold and do the head and halo in white which would allow her to wear white or rose gold bands with it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those 2 pears that Neil found look to have nice light return and pretty faceting patterns but that second one is way too fat (for me).
Another stone to throw into the mix...
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.79-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-688498

You can look at other rose gold settings that tell the color of the diamond and see what you think.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-round-center-item-41435

Edit - you can narrow it down to 3 stones and they request aset images (hopefully they can get them for you). Post the asets here
so we can have a look and go from there.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333|1447429056|3949259 said:
Those 2 pears that Neil found look to have nice light return and pretty faceting patterns but that second one is way too fat (for me).
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.79-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-688498

You can look at other rose gold settings that tell the color of the diamond and see what you think.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-round-center-item-41435

Edit - you can narrow it down to 3 stones and they request aset images (hopefully they can get them for you). Post the asets here

you are right the second one is a cute fattie, thats more shared for lurkers, as the first one is the one in his budget. Which is my favorite of any that are in his budget. its a nice depth too, so faces up a nice size. JA tends to do a halo better on pears slightly on the chubby side.

chadd

Rough_Rock

What exactly do you mean by aset images?

ALso, i think maybe I'm getting hung up on a halo when I don't think it matters to her. I just find they look really good with a pear shape, I think a solitaire doesn't look as good, regardless of the size of the diamond. ALso, I don't think she would want a really big diamond, I just want it to sparkle a lot rather than be a big stone, which is why I was looking at colourless...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How about a baguette setting? The girlfriend of a friend of a friend has a pear with baguettes that looks amazing!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chadd|1447432315|3949282 said:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rin

gs/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-round-center-item-41435

What exactly do you mean by aset images?

ALso, i think maybe I'm getting hung up on a halo when I don't think it matters to her. I just find they look really good with a pear shape, I think a solitaire doesn't look as good, regardless of the size of the diamond. ALso, I don't think she would want a really big diamond, I just want it to sparkle a lot rather than be a big stone, which is why I was looking at colourless...

Don't get hung up on the aset images, the two stones in your budget requested here JA won't be able to get for you.
They are a way of evaluating the performance of the diamond. But again, they can get them for you anyways.

I understand the want to emphasize the shape of the stone , I just worry James Allen pesr halos aren't always the cream of their setting crop.

Do you think she'd like a bezel?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sense youre the only one of the two of you "stuck" on a halo, i wouldnt get her one from james allen. i really dont think pear halos are their strong suit.

i would, however, spend the 150 (or whatever) extra to have them do this setting for a pear. Ask them pretty please to customize it. if someone says no, ask to speak to someone else

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-french-cut-pave-engagement-ring-item-53055

its very prety, and will allow for a subtle (not bulky and thus allowing the shape to shine) white metal head with a rose gold shank.

chadd

Rough_Rock

chadd

Rough_Rock

Niel, thats perfect. I think something like that would work very well. Nice and simple but not plain looking with the pave, and the pear will really stand out

chadd

Rough_Rock

Niel|1447444564|3949348 said:
sense youre the only one of the two of you "stuck" on a halo, i wouldnt get her one from james allen. i really dont think pear halos are their strong suit.

i would, however, spend the 150 (or whatever) extra to have them do this setting for a pear. Ask them pretty please to customize it. if someone says no, ask to speak to someone else

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-french-cut-pave-engagement-ring-item-53055

its very prety, and will allow for a subtle (not bulky and thus allowing the shape to shine) white metal head with a rose gold shank.

what are your thoughts on this setting? in rose gold? you can change the little visual option to pear and they have one, so I'm assuming that wouldnt cost extra to have done.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-white-gold-0.54ct-common-prong-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41380

Q

Queenie60

This is the one I think you should go with. Elegant, has some pave and will definitely allow the pear to shine. :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chadd|1447446645|3949363 said:

what are your thoughts on this setting? in rose gold? you can change the little visual option to pear and they have one, so I'm assuming that wouldnt cost extra to have done.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-white-gold-0.54ct-common-prong-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41380

Its not my favorite setting, I prefer the one I posted as I think the head is more subtle and the pave is more delicate.

If they can't change the head head then that one is an option, but I really think the non cathedral band is a more attractive setting. As I know you probably prefer to see what it might look like, here's a blue Nile similar setting with a pear

screenshot_2015-11-13-15-42-40-1.png

chadd

Rough_Rock

Niel|1447447595|3949369 said:
chadd|1447446645|3949363 said:

Its not my favorite setting, I prefer the one I posted as I think the head is more subtle and the pave is more delicate.

If they can't change the head head then that one is an option, but I really think the non cathedral band is a more attractive setting. As I know you probably prefer to see what it might look like, here's a blue Nile similar setting with a pear

honestly, I would prefer that one as well, I really like that blue nile one too, would you recommend them or should I stick to JA?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No I would not . you can't choose a pear site unseen, and blue Nile won't provide what ja can in terms of images.

chadd

Rough_Rock

Niel|1447450433|3949385 said:
No I would not . you can't choose a pear site unseen, and blue Nile won't provide what ja can in terms of images.

Ok, I'll start looking for some diamonds and maybe post them... My budget was meant in Canadian dollars, so I'd be looking around a 1500 dollar USD mark, or 2200 CAN for the diamond. I think d-f and no lower than vs2 and then whatever size I can get from there...probably .5-.6?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results