shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help w/ Idealscope Image

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the first ideal scope image was of the 1.22 but I’m looking on mobile so not sure if it’s different on desktop. On mobile, the top IS image is the 1.22.

Yes the 1.22 is on top. You can tell by looking at the table reflection size (blue circles). The 1.22 has a smaller 55 table, whereas the 1.14 has a larger 56 table. Also the green circle identifies the crystal on the 1.22.

BAFBF989-EAD4-4B65-B12F-9A5F0B41F349.jpeg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the ASET, green is picking up weaker light return in the 0-45 degree range. Red is the brightest light return and falls in the 45-75 degree range.

C9CBC2BB-A5F7-4C16-8545-7617C3D53106.jpeg

Looking at the idealscope of the 1.22 stone you can see some areas that look to be lighter pink or more whitish than the light pink areas of the table reflection (control point). As such I would expect some slivers of green to be present in the table as it is signifying some zones of weaker light return. BGD black diamonds are all about eliminating these green slivers, FYI.

9EA17EE2-4C25-4075-84BE-7C9384303D97.jpeg

Another area that can show up as red, green or some combo of both is the table reflection itself (small control point I circled in blue on my previous post). The color is determined by the angle of the pavilion facets.

Pavilion angles around 40.76 is the dividing line between red and green light reflection. Pavilion angles at 40.75 or less reflects as green as it falls less than 45 degrees. Whereas pavilion angles around 40.77 and higher reflect as red as its drawing light return from the 45-75 degree range.

Given that the 1.22 has a nominal pavilion reading of 40.6 I would expect to see more green than red in the table reflection. I say some because we know GIA averages and rounds values on the lab reports so it’s possible some of the angles are > 40.76.

The 1.14 stone has a reported 40.8 pavilion but again depending on actuals, you may seem some dip below 40.76 and go partially green.

4656807C-3859-4915-9161-F179E143336D.png
92F99B0B-E86C-4E74-9D27-B68D5542558A.jpeg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was late last night and I failed to provide examples of the indexing that may also be occurring. This is one of the reasons ASET > idealscope. While it can be harder to assess initially it provides more detail. Yet both have their own strengths.

B6FAEDCA-8600-4EED-8854-78926EE601A2.jpeg

512C4188-ADA4-4AC0-ACF7-976ACB666DBA.jpeg

In case you want to read the full article:

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
On the ASET, green is picking up weaker light return in the 0-45 degree range. Red is the brightest light return and falls in the 45-75 degree range.

C9CBC2BB-A5F7-4C16-8545-7617C3D53106.jpeg

Looking at the idealscope of the 1.22 stone you can see some areas that look to be lighter pink or more whitish than the light pink areas of the table reflection (control point). As such I would expect some slivers of green to be present in the table as it is signifying some zones of weaker light return. BGD black diamonds are all about eliminating these green slivers, FYI.

9EA17EE2-4C25-4075-84BE-7C9384303D97.jpeg

Another area that can show up as red, green or some combo of both is the table reflection itself (small control point I circled in blue on my previous post). The color is determined by the angle of the pavilion facets.

Pavilion angles around 40.76 is the dividing line between red and green light reflection. Pavilion angles at 40.75 or less reflects as green as it falls less than 45 degrees. Whereas pavilion angles around 40.77 and higher reflect as red as its drawing light return from the 45-75 degree range.

Given that the 1.22 has a nominal pavilion reading of 40.6 I would expect to see more green than red in the table reflection. I say some because we know GIA averages and rounds values on the lab reports so it’s possible some of the angles are > 40.76.

The 1.14 stone has a reported 40.8 pavilion but again depending on actuals, you may seem some dip below 40.76 and go partially green.

92F99B0B-E86C-4E74-9D27-B68D5542558A.jpeg

Wow that was a greatly detailed explanation. I’m now curious to go back and see how your explanation matches the diamond as it seems slight angle differences can determine red/green shown on ASET. So to make sure I understand correctly, the control is the center of the table and it’s normal for that to show as green?

I’m crossing my fingers that the 1.22 is not showing light leakage/dead spots at 6 and 7 o’clock, as it appears to have a strip of orange in the table.

So, which of the two are you thinking will prove to be a better diamond :)

Last edited:

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Two attempts at the hearts image of the 1.22. Realized how different angles substantially change the appearance so not sure if this is subjective on my part by choosing the best angles. Let me know your thoughts haha. IMG_7508.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7507.jpeg
    IMG_7507.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 8

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that was a greatly detailed explanation. I’m now curious to go back and see how your explanation matches the diamond as it seems slight angle differences can determine red/green shown on ASET. So to make sure I understand correctly, the control is the center of the table and it’s normal for that to show as green?

I’m crossing my fingers that the 1.22 is not showing light leakage/dead spots at 6 and 7 o’clock, as it appears to have a strip of orange in the table.

So, which of the two are you thinking will prove to be a better diamond :)

Can you post the images so we can see them?

The table reflection is what I referred to as "control" and the areas I circled in blue in my post #31. The reason I used that term is when looking at idealscope images you frequently see a ring like both these stones exhibit. The first knee jerk reaction is there is leakage; however, if you use the table reflection as your control, it helps you more accurately analyze the stone. Essentially anything lighter than the table reflection would be leakage of some magnitude.

When you move to an ASET image, the color of the table reflection is driven by the pavilion angle. Essentially if that angle > 40.76 it will show as red and if < 40.76 it shows as green. So it really depends on the exact angles of the pavilion if the table reflection shows as red or green. We can make assumptions based on the pavilion angle shown on the lab reports but you have to be careful making that assumption because GIA takes the 8 actual pavilion angles then averages them together and rounds them to the nearest 0.2 degrees. So perhaps it reports at 40.8 or 40.6 but you will have actuals that are +/- of those values.

That is why I like this image. It shows there is a slight variation in the actuals and consequently you are seeing a combination of red & green in the table reflection.

Also it is showing some slivers of green in the main table area that I circled in yellow. These would indicated some slightly weaker light return in the table, although it's very minor and probably not detectable to the naked eye. However, those type of nuances is what BGD Black looks to eliminate.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
It wasn’t easy sneaking these photos but it’s here folks xD. Here are the ASETs

1.22:

IMG_7565.jpeg

1.14:

IMG_7566.jpeg

The 1.14 image looks a bit washed due to camera angle and distance. Hopefully, you all can still give me your opinion on which would be a better choice :).

Btw, the lady has always wanted a 2ct diamond so I’m feeling a bit bad with the size of these, but I know cut should be prioritized. At a certain level of cut quality, is there a minor difference in increased visual appeal, and if so, where would that line be? Does anyone have any words of wisdom to bestow onto me - it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It wasn’t easy sneaking these photos but it’s here folks xD. Here are the ASETs

1.22:

IMG_7565.jpeg

1.14:

IMG_7566.jpeg

The 1.14 image looks a bit washed due to camera angle and distance. Hopefully, you all can still give me your opinion on which would be a better choice :)

Which one has the performance personality that your eyes are more drawn to?

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Which one has the performance personality that your eyes are more drawn to?

They both seem similar but it could be because I haven’t seen many diamonds before this engagement ring plan. I will say that seeing the actual diamonds (not through the magnification via site) is really different considering they are much smaller in person.

This makes me wonder if even inclusions, such as black crystals or line/feathers, on even the table would not be visible to the human eye even when looked at closely, as I’ve eliminated those diamonds during my search under the assumption that they would be visible. Do inclusions have the potential to hinder light performance?

Last edited:

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Update: I’ve decided to be content with the size of the stone and will be deciding among one of the two I’ve shown in this post. Would love any opinion on the ASET images in relation to any of the other images I’ve posted. Thanks all.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the smaller table on the 1.22 but both are solid ASETs.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
I like the smaller table on the 1.22 but both are solid ASETs.

Thanks for the response lovedogs and musicloveranthony.

Poll: 2 for the 1.22, and 0 for the 1.14. Will be interesting to see which one prevails :)

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
I’ve had a chance to view both side by side under camera light, and it seems that the 1.14 has more light return with bigger flashes (maybe even to say more life). Not sure if there was diamond angle at play, but I looked back at the hearts image of both, and is it just me or do the hearts seem nicer on the 1.14?

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your help and knowledge! I’ve decided to proceed with the 1.22 and just a moment ago picked the setting. Now the only next step is figuring out the proposal plan :). Thanks all!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results