shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help to choose a Rolex

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those watches really make your wrists look tiny! Love the Roman numerals and MOP dials with diamonds.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those watches really make your wrists look tiny! Love the Roman numerals and MOP dials with diamonds.

I agree. I didn’t love the MOP and diamonds at first but it grew on me. I think I’m adding it to my list.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks for the mention, @diamondseeker2006 ! I really loved that Rolex, ticked all the boxes for me. I sold it when I bought my HUGE Yachtmaster. Funny, both of my Rolexs' have been all one color....

FWIW @LLJsmom , I thought I wouldn't like a dark MOP face, but my sister has it and it is stunning.

Look forward to seeing what you end up with.

cheers--Sharon

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. I didn’t love the MOP and diamonds at first but it grew on me. I think I’m adding it to my list.

I think the MOP, Roman numerals and diamonds make the watch look more feminine and less like a sports watch.

gatsby2017

Rough_Rock
I purchased a Rolex for my 40th... the green dial was my second choice but I just couldn’t turn down the star diamonds even though they only came in the 28mm. I hope you love yours!

Attachments

• 08A00F80-8634-4DD4-8D50-B918101677BF.jpeg
    08A00F80-8634-4DD4-8D50-B918101677BF.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 38

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I know @SandyK I agree. It's so funny that Rolex calls it mint green. It looks more olive to me. But when I talked to an SA, they said it was definitely brighter than olive. And I saw the day-date in green, and they said it was "brighter" than that shade. So at this point I can only rely on their opinion, people who have seen it. And if it leans more olive, maybe I will still like it. Maybe it will work. So what can I do but cross my fingers and hope to see one. LOL!!! ...Rolex... You're killing me...

If only my wrist was big enough to accommodate a submariner or an explorer, I would be all over it. I am especially in love with the explorer white face. Sigh...

Yes, it would be so fun if @diamondseeker2006 picks up a Rolex this year. :Up_to_something:

I love that Explorer too! Here is my husband's on my wrist, just for fun - it is heavy!

IMG-1828.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that Explorer too! Here is my husband's on my wrist, just for fun - it is heavy!

IMG-1828.jpg

I love this watch. If only it came smaller. I wanted to get this for my DH but he doesn’t want one right now. And they’re impossible to get from an AD. It’s gorgeous.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
@LLJsmom, I love watches and have 2 Rolex, Patek Philippe, IWC, Cartier, etc. I’m 5’ 1” and have about 6” wrist size. I’m assuming you’ve used the tool on Rolex.com that lets you configure the watch in different combinations—dial size, bezel, etc. and see how it looks? Since Rolex offers so many different combinations, I wouldn’t settle until you find the right one and always buy from an authorized Rolex dealer. Too many dishonest people out there where Rolex watches are concerned.

My first Rolex was from 20 years ago when my wrist size was a tad smaller. It‘s a 24mm Datejust with a black dial, diamond on the hour, second hand and date. It was so busy I could barely tell the time properly. The second hand almost has the same thickness as the minute hand that I kept mistaken it for the minute. The date under the dome is hard to read. I noticed this in my second Rolex watch as well.

The second one I got a few years ago. Thought I wanted a 31mm Everose with chocolate dial. Tried it on and didn’t like it on my skin tone. Then tried a few more combinations and ended up with Julibee (it was also my 25th anniversary present so thought it was appropo). I‘d suggest you try them on until you find the one that makes your heart sing. I smile whenever I look up time on my watch. Note on the date part, I’d still say that it’s there but not as visible (could be my aging eyes). It’s easier for me to look up date or ask Siri on my iPhone. :D

Took this pic of the 31mm a few months back.
2068AEC3-5823-4D8E-A8A4-331B74D0F208.jpeg

Can’t wait to see which one you ended up with.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom, I love watches and have 2 Rolex, Patek Philippe, IWC, Cartier, etc. I’m 5’ 1” and have about 6” wrist size. I’m assuming you’ve used the tool on Rolex.com that lets you configure the watch in different combinations—dial size, bezel, etc. and see how it looks? Since Rolex offers so many different combinations, I wouldn’t settle until you find the right one and always buy from an authorized Rolex dealer. Too many dishonest people out there where Rolex watches are concerned.

My first Rolex was from 20 years ago when my wrist size was a tad smaller. It‘s a 24mm Datejust with a black dial, diamond on the hour, second hand and date. It was so busy I could barely tell the time properly. The second hand almost has the same thickness as the minute hand that I kept mistaken it for the minute. The date under the dome is hard to read. I noticed this in my second Rolex watch as well.

The second one I got a few years ago. Thought I wanted a 31mm Everose with chocolate dial. Tried it on and didn’t like it on my skin tone. Then tried a few more combinations and ended up with Julibee (it was also my 25th anniversary present so thought it was appropo). I‘d suggest you try them on until you find the one that makes your heart sing. I smile whenever I look up time on my watch. Note on the date part, I’d still say that it’s there but not as visible (could be my aging eyes). It’s easier for me to look up date or ask Siri on my iPhone. :D

Took this pic of the 31mm a few months back.
2068AEC3-5823-4D8E-A8A4-331B74D0F208.jpeg

Can’t wait to see which one you ended up with.

Hi @Fabfashion , thank you so much for sharing your beautiful watch and your journey. You should also post your IWC and Cartier watches too. I am a huge fan of IWC, but am totally holding myself back until I get my Rolex, before I branch out. My DH just got a Cartier, which I am starting to appreciate, but there is no date on the sizes that would fit me.

I have been playing with the "create your own watch" on the Rolex site endlessly. It is such a bummer that supply is so limited, and that I cannot see in person the piece I ordered. I have no clue as to when it will arrive. And I feel so tempted to settle for what is available. But I don't think I will feel good about doing that.

Here are some pics of ones I saw recently. They are beautiful, but just not exactly what I want. Hard to stay strong and wait.

This pink 31 is beautiful, but I want a different colored face, and lume. The smaller 26 is mine, but the larger size makes a huge difference in visibility.
F2A6BAF9-E2CE-4FAF-96F2-21D736BEEA6C.jpeg

Scattered diamond bezel a bit too distracting.
80B9870E-C596-4BC9-85CE-0E48054461A4.jpeg

I love the lume and the date on the pink one, but I don't love the shade of pink. It's too close to my skin tone and blends too much.
2B573EE7-BD6A-4308-A3AB-BAE4436CEF55.jpeg

Green and yellow is a bit much, and not super easy to see.
7906EC8B-CD82-44B9-B1D7-DB336FA77A6D.jpeg

Loved the blue, but the roman numerals are not easy to see. Still need the sticks.
34A584C0-82D9-436C-82E7-F1EFAC01C639.jpeg

Last edited:

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Fabfashion , thank you so much for sharing your beautiful watch and your journey. You should also post your IWC and Cartier watches too. I am a huge fan of IWC, but am totally holding myself back until I get my Rolex, before I branch out. My DH just got a Cartier, which I am starting to appreciate, but there is no date on the sizes that would fit me.

I have been playing with the "create your own watch" on the Rolex site endlessly. It is such a bummer that supply is so limited, and that I cannot see in person the piece I ordered. I have no clue as to when it will arrive. And I feel so tempted to settle for what is available. But I don't think I will feel good about doing that.

Here are some pics of ones I saw recently. They are beautiful, but just not exactly what I want. Hard to stay strong and wait.

This pink 31 is beautiful, but I want a different colored face, and lume. The smaller 26 is mine, but the larger size makes a huge difference in visibility.
F2A6BAF9-E2CE-4FAF-96F2-21D736BEEA6C.jpeg

Scattered diamond bezel a bit too distracting.
80B9870E-C596-4BC9-85CE-0E48054461A4.jpeg

I love the lume and the date on the pink one, but I don't love the shade of pink. It's too close to my skin tone and blends too much.
2B573EE7-BD6A-4308-A3AB-BAE4436CEF55.jpeg

Green and yellow is a bit much, and not super easy to see.
7906EC8B-CD82-44B9-B1D7-DB336FA77A6D.jpeg

Loved the blue, but the roman numerals are not easy to see. Still need the sticks.
34A584C0-82D9-436C-82E7-F1EFAC01C639.jpeg

I’m at my lake cottage and don’t have access to my watches, some are at the bank since we’ve been in lockdown on/off since Christmas so no place to wear them too. :(

I think you have clear parameters on what you like which seems to be the pink 31mm one except for the pink dial color. I’d then suggest not trying the ones with diamond bezel, roman numerals, scattered diamond dome, etc. You may want to call a few Rolex dealers if this combination in green comes in blue or any other dial color as this combo seems to meet your criteria.

4B63BE8A-348F-4599-A477-3CF8FE5569C1.jpeg

It’d seem that Rolex is only offering this combination with a green dial this year. This may be just a limitation of the online tool but it’s also possible that whatever is shown online is the range of dial colors offered this year. You can also flip through their online catalog for 31mm Datejust and see if it’s showing any other dial colors. I was looking for a 41mm Everose earlier this year and the online tool only offers a few dial choices—none of which I like. If that’s the case where only a green dial is available in the combination that you like, you’ll have to find a dealer that carries this combination but in blue, black or other color dial—it’ll be from last year or before.

Not sure if you‘ve checked out the https://www.chrono24.com/ site. It’s a marketplace for watch dealers around the world. You can see who has something you may like and see if they’re a authorized dealer (which can be confirmed on Rolex website/contact customer service).

To me, a watch is one of the most personal jewelry pieces as it’s only for me to use and ‘see’. About half of the year I’m wearing longsleeves (winter is long in Canada) so it’s only for me to enjoy so finding the right one is key. Good luck with finding your ‘one’! You’ll enjoy it for many years to come.

PS Love your 26!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
If only my wrist was big enough to accommodate a submariner or an explorer, I would be all over it. I am especially in love with the explorer white face. Sigh...
You probably already know what I’m going to say! GO FOR IT!!!!!! You could absolutely rock a sports watch!

There is truly no comparison between the watches marketed to men and those marketed to women.

I think you would look fantastic in a polar explorer (the model that @SandyK shows on her wrist above). Both it and the Yachtmaster don’t look quite as big as the stated measurements because the face and the bezel are different colors. As opposed to the Submariner (which is what I wear), where the face and the bezel are all one color. That tends to make the watch wear bigger, visually. The Yachtmaster also does come in a size smaller than the traditional men’s 40mm (I think maybe 36?). I have tried it on and to me, it was too small. If you can find it and try it, you might really like it.

A few other things to mention: take aging eyesight into account. As you get older, a bigger face is so super nice. Also, you have mentioned lume. From personal experience, Rolex lume on women’s watches sucks. Truly. I was *stunned* by the lume on my Sub by comparison. Dive and sports watch lume will give you more of what you’re looking for.

As another option, I know you really like Rolex, but have you considered Grand Seiko? They are making a splash in the watch world. I tried on and very nearly bought one the other day that was absolutely stunning. It was their Four Seasons model in Spring. The dial is supposed to evoke cherry blossoms. It was such a pale pink that you couldn’t see the pink in most lights, and then in just the right light you could see this incredible texture. Truly beautiful. It was also made of titanium, so it is so light you could hardly feel it on.

Dammit, now I want to go back and buy it.

CB27664C-C242-4A4E-8E9E-DB93E0C8A8A1.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You probably already know what I’m going to say! GO FOR IT!!!!!! You could absolutely rock a sports watch!

There is truly no comparison between the watches marketed to men and those marketed to women.

I think you would look fantastic in a polar explorer (the model that @SandyK shows on her wrist above). Both it and the Yachtmaster don’t look quite as big as the stated measurements because the face and the bezel are different colors. As opposed to the Submariner (which is what I wear), where the face and the bezel are all one color. That tends to make the watch wear bigger, visually. The Yachtmaster also does come in a size smaller than the traditional men’s 40mm (I think maybe 36?). I have tried it on and to me, it was too small. If you can find it and try it, you might really like it.

A few other things to mention: take aging eyesight into account. As you get older, a bigger face is so super nice. Also, you have mentioned lume. From personal experience, Rolex lume on women’s watches sucks. Truly. I was *stunned* by the lume on my Sub by comparison. Dive and sports watch lume will give you more of what you’re looking for.

As another option, I know you really like Rolex, but have you considered Grand Seiko? They are making a splash in the watch world. I tried on and very nearly bought one the other day that was absolutely stunning. It was their Four Seasons model in Spring. The dial is supposed to evoke cherry blossoms. It was such a pale pink that you couldn’t see the pink in most lights, and then in just the right light you could see this incredible texture. Truly beautiful. It was also made of titanium, so it is so light you could hardly feel it on.

Thanks for your thoughts Tonks. I think your sub looks absolutely stunning on you. Unfortunately, my 5 inch wrists feel very awkward with a 40 mm on so the current Explorer is not possible. However, if they create a 36mm with a white face at some point, I may be willing to try it out. They came out with the current two tone Explorer in 36 so maybe it's in the future. Ideally though, I would like a datejust as my first larger Rolex, and the 31mm is my ideal size.

I even considered the 32mm tudor Black Bay, but when I tried it on IRL, I was so underwhelmed, compared to the Rolexes that I have been trying, that I could not compromise. Just couldn't. I would rather get an IWC, or a JLC. But I just know myself. I would look at the watch and still yearn for a datejust. I need to just be patient. Who knows? If nothing shows up and I may even like next year's styles even more. I'm crossing my fingers for something by my b-day in the fall, or latest Christmas.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just seeing this on the big screen. It's so pretty and unique Tonks. Will you add it to your collection?

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
@LLJsmom I love that blue dial you tried on! Sucks that they don't have the blue dial w/sticks in the 31mm size, like they do for the 36mm:

1623208692348.png

And I know you have been looking at Datejusts, but just throwing it out there that the 34mm Oyster Perpetual comes in a blue dial w/sticks (no idea how hard these are to get though):

1623208738541.png

And edited to say that I still love the green one you picked and am super hopeful that you will love it in person -- hopefully that day comes sooner rather than later!!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results