shape
carat
color
clarity

need help..she wants me to buy from ShaneCo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Go Blue 99

Rough_Rock
Hi all..after months of doing research on Pricescope, I purchased my fiancee an e-ring last fall from Mark at Engagement Rings Direct. She gets great compliments on it, and I''m glad I was able to find such a tremendous value in ERD.

Our wedding is 9 weeks away and we are searching for her band. This is what we have been searching for:
- design that matches her e-ring band (alternating round and baguette diamonds)
- 2.5-3mm thin band
- total carat around .50...but quality and the thin band are more important
- budget of $1,200
- platinum (her e-ring is platinum)

The first problem is the budget..it doesn''t look like $1200 will be enough to get this ring in platinum. Also, we have not been able to find this design at ERD, whiteflash,or Facets Collection.

So this weekend we venture into Shane Co. They have this style in stock, and my fiancee loves it. However, they only have it in white gold. Saleswoman says no need to worry about yellowing, because Shane Co. offers free rhodium plating for life. Fiancee gets very excited about that and wants to buy it, and says she is ok with having a white gold band. Here is the band: Shane Co Band

The problem is..I obviously love a great value, and I know ShaneCo does not provide this.

So what do you guys think? I''m sure the band is overpriced, but they are the only store we''ve seen that has her desired design in stock. At some point, do you have to sacrifice price for selection? Also, do you think the lifetime free rhodium plating makes up for the high price?
Finally, do you see any potential negatives in having a plat. e-ring with a white gold band? And how do I convince her that shane co isn''t the best option? (FYI the shaneco stones are I or better and SI or better..her e-ring is a G/SI2)

thanks for any insight!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=551&catid=8&filter_id=0&nav1=band_channel.asp&page=2&show_all_pages=0&col=2&row=2&pos=5&set_shape=

This is $1600... but is in platinum. I agree that the platinum and white gold can sometimes get damaged if worn together, so it might be a good idea to look into a spacer if you decide to go this route.

*M*

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 9:12:56 PM
Author: poptart
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=551&catid=8&filter_id=0&nav1=band_channel.asp&page=2&show_all_pages=0&col=2&row=2&pos=5&set_shape=

This is $1600... but is in platinum. I agree that the platinum and white gold can sometimes get damaged if worn together, so it might be a good idea to look into a spacer if you decide to go this route.

*M*
Yes that''s true, so if you go the WG route, get a spacer for in between.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Don''t do it! Who wants to deal with replating ever! OK, thats my lazy a## bias. Obviously white gold represents great value and all, but you will never get that $ back if you ever want to trade up to plat. I wouldn''t worry about I color in smaller stones - I''d worry about cut!

Any chance whiteflash or facets will make a ring to your specs on time? With a little pretty please?

I hate to urge going overbudget, but... its either that or (personally I''d rather) get a plain band now for a few hundred and save for the matching band with stones in plat for an anniversary present. Then you''re not throwing good money away in a temp white gold ring with ShaneCo stones.

Unless you think she will completely love it and wear it forever even if it turns into a two-tone set. Then who cares.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Ok, don''t throw anything at me anyone, but all of my rings are from Shane and I am a happy person, quality wise. Albeit, this is what my husband started with. My white gold rhr is exceptional quality and has never needed rhodium plating. My wedding set and eternity are platinum. I don''t think I would put plat and gold together in a set as they patina and wear differently. I wore a simple band for years before getting diamond bands. Perhaps you might get a plat band with fewer diamonds now and then add to it with an anniversary band later? Or a plain band? (I know, no fun, but practical.) I bet you could find something you both love online.

Pupper

Rough_Rock
If you send Mark (ERD) a pic or the link, he''d likely be able to make it custom for less...? It''s worth asking anyway =)

Go Blue 99

Rough_Rock
Interesting..had no idea WG and plat can damage each other. I asked the ShaneCo saleswoman that exact question and she said it's okay to have both! Just curious..which one is more likely to get damaged? Or will they both be?

That James Allen one looks nice but it's $1635. Maybe I can get a custom one made online that will be around $1300 or so. I can go smaller than .5 ct.

thanks for the help!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Sure, they will polish out any scratches any time you go in there, but who has that kind of time? Not me. I like the look of a plat patina, so I''m not worried about the plat. I''d be worried about the softness of the gold and how it will wear away. Plat just scoots around, and doesn''t wear away like gold. Plat patinas to gray, and white gold, well, it gets scratched--they look different with wear and tear. I''d worry the plat would wear out the gold as they rub each other. Good luck with your search.

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t know they could damage one another, but I will tell you the upkeep on keeping them looking the same would be very time consuming. I have white gold bands, and the rhodium wears off in spots very quickly. When that happens they look TOTALLY different from platimun, and I think it would make her wedding ring look "off". I personally prefer the look of white gold, but if she already has platinum, stick with platinum.

JustJulia I have a plain white gold band from Shane co...it almost looks platinum with the rhodium all worn off. It''s the least "yellow" of all my white gold jewelry by a long shot. I can see why you would be very happy with you rings.

gongjoo143

Shiny_Rock
Definitely give Mark at ERD a call. He can probably duplicate the ring and give you a good price. I always just send him pictures and am never disappointed with the end result.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 10:10:20 PM
Author: gongjoo143
Definitely give Mark at ERD a call. He can probably duplicate the ring and give you a good price. I always just send him pictures and am never disappointed with the end result.

i agree. I''d just have Mark make the band you want to match the e-ring and I''d keep them both the same metal...

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2007 10:22:18 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 2/26/2007 10:10:20 PM
Author: gongjoo143

i agree. I''d just have Mark make the band you want to match the e-ring and I''d keep them both the same metal...
Absolutely! Mark can make or order the matching band and it needs to be the same metal!

griffiam

Rough_Rock
I found this band on clearance at Solomon Brothers. It is a platinum band and has the alternating rounds and baguettes, but they''re channel set. It''s definitely in the budget, though!

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Search/JewelrySearchDetails.asp?sSKU=77970

Go Blue!
37.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 9:17:15 PM
Author: cara
Don''t do it! Who wants to deal with replating ever! OK, thats my lazy a## bias. Obviously white gold represents great value and all, but you will never get that $ back if you ever want to trade up to plat. I wouldn''t worry about I color in smaller stones - I''d worry about cut!

Any chance whiteflash or facets will make a ring to your specs on time? With a little pretty please?

I hate to urge going overbudget, but... its either that or (personally I''d rather) get a plain band now for a few hundred and save for the matching band with stones in plat for an anniversary present. Then you''re not throwing good money away in a temp white gold ring with ShaneCo stones.

Unless you think she will completely love it and wear it forever even if it turns into a two-tone set. Then who cares.
this is my vote for several reasons - one is your budget.... two this is your wedding band.... get something that will last forever and NEVER go out of style.... three it is always handy to have a plain band - you can wear them everywhere and anywhere, even making meatloaf haha (inside joke).... four... when she does get her diamond band she can mix and match them. And my own personal soapbox is that I totally love THE classic wedding band for an official wedding band :) diamonds make great anniversary gifts :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results