shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help setting oval and half moon sides! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Your task, if you choose to accept it is...

My friend needs to set an oval wth half moon sides, but he is insisting on cutting the half moons to curve with the oval in the center...is there any way I can set the ring without doing that? I think he nuts for wanting to! I figure bezels...?

anyone have some unique ideas on what to do with a 2.3ct Oval and 70pt half moons on either side?

All ideas and pictures welcome! Thanks!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh has an incredible oval with half moons!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Marvel that''s hysterical, because my description of Kaleigh''s ring was the inspiration for his choice! He wanted a classic and traditional looking ring, and did not want the usual RBC, so enter the oval with half moons...

But he''s wavering on who to set it, and I think he''s in a rush,so Leon would be out...
7.gif
But any other setting ideas, because i am 100% for Kaleigh''s ring, but I want to offer him some options...?

Anyone?
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with Mark T at engagmentringsdirect for the setting. he''s been doing some beautiful custom work recently and i love how''s he''s got it set up on his site.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Nicrez.

I remember wondering the same thing myself, but once the half moons are set, you really don''t notice the straight edge against a curved edge. The half moon tucks just under the girdle of the oval, so you don''t see the edge.

I have a pink sapphire ring, oval with half moon diamonds. Here''s the THREAD with pictures. You can see a slight gap at this level of magnification from side view, but not under normal viewing conditions.

Tell your friend not to worry. The ring sounds gorgeous, by the way!
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 1:49:54 AM
Author:Nicrez
Your task, if you choose to accept it is...

My friend needs to set an oval wth half moon sides, but he is insisting on cutting the half moons to curve with the oval in the center...is there any way I can set the ring without doing that? I think he nuts for wanting to! I figure bezels...?

anyone have some unique ideas on what to do with a 2.3ct Oval and 70pt half moons on either side?

All ideas and pictures welcome! Thanks!
they do make half ovals with curved inner sides called crescents - but IMO you''re gonna hve more trouble matching up the curves than the curve to the straight - it isn''t like all crescents (and they''re NOT common) and all ovals are just gonna match up perfectly LOL

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all! Yes I have seen the crescents, but NOT easy to find, which is why i figured the half moons were the best option... I really liked the pictures, thanks! it helps, and I realize now that the half moons would be set just below the girdle line anyway, so the gap would barely be seen. He''s finicky and short on time. Two VERY bad combinations...

I will have to see what Mark is offering. My friend is yet again on a strict budget, so not sure how much he can spend. Let''s hope Mark has some good deal going! I didn''t realize he went custom! Good to know...

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Any ideas for a bezel setting or even something with pave? We are going to set it today, so I am crunching for ideas...
32.gif

any different ideas are welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results