shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help purchasing a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

godiva

Rough_Rock
We found a store that we would like to deal with.
But the store is pretty far from where we are. We want the information on the diamond before we drive down there. What should we ask for other than the normal certification information? I would greatly appreciate some feed back. Thank you.

godiva

Rough_Rock
No one??
15.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
What specifics do you have on the stone you are going to look at? Are you going to look at many stones? What is your goal?

godiva

Rough_Rock
We looked at 3 loose diamonds. The one that we really like is about 1.27, D, SI1. But that's about all the information I got.
The price I thought was excellent but how would I know with out the other information? From reading all the discussions in this forum, it seems like we are no where prepared to purchase an engagement ring. So I'm here asking for help. I see cool pictures... scope images? Are these necessary? I want a list of things to ask the dealer for and tips about what to look for.
Thanks fireice.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
At the very least you need:

Table %
Depth %
measurements in mm
girdle
symmetry and polish grade
Fluores?
What lab is the grading report from?
Price?

No, you absolutely do not have any where near the information you need. I wouldn't waste my time driving anywhere w/o this information. You have no information regarding the cut which is the art & beauty of a diamond.

Work yourself around this site & learn a bit. For example - a better blend (& price) will come from going g/SI1.

godiva

Rough_Rock
One more quick question... Is there a significant difference between GIA and ASG certification? I guess I want to know if one is better than the other.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You might call the store today, while you have access to a computer and can use features on Price Scope.

Get the diameter and depth measurements, table and depth %'s, crown and pavillion angles if the store has that information, crown and pavillion %'s, weight, girdle thickness, color, clarity, cutlet size (if any), who the Cert is from (GIA, AGS, etc.), flourescence if any, and the asking price.

Then post that info here for advise. Folks will be glad to help.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Both AGS and GIA are very strict and consistent. With an AGS Cert you will get cut angles. GIA Certs don't give that information.
1.gif

godiva

Rough_Rock
Thanks, pq!
What about the images? Is it important to look at those pictures? I forgot what kind of cut it was but it wasn't H&A and it seems like most people in this forum is purchasing a H&A stones.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Checking the Cert plots will help you while you are looking at the diamond with a loupe. You'll be better able to find the inclusions.

An Ideal Scope image can tell you if there is light leakage and show contrast within the diamond. Unless the jeweler is really saavy, he/she won't have an Ideal Scope.

Hearts and Arrows patterns can be viewed with a H&A Viewer. If the diamond exhibits the patterns to any extent, it would be neat to view those.

Ask the jeweler if they have a Sarin or OGI report available. That will give you cut angles if the diamond does not have an AGS Cert.

If you decide to take the plunge, make purchase of the diamond contingent on an independent evaluation. Find an appraiser that uses and Ideal Scope, and/or FireScope, and/or MegaScope, in addition to a Sarin/OGI, and the usual physical examinations most appraisers perform. You might want to check on that today and arrange a "just in case" appointment to bring in the diamond if you decide to purchase.
1.gif

godiva

Rough_Rock
PQ,
Thank you for all the suggestions.
I'm drafting a fax right now. I'm asking them for everything you have mentioned so far. We'll see what I get back.
I can't wait to hear your opinion once I get some information from them. Thanks!
twirl.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I hope it's all GREAT! Definitely post the info when you get it, including the price. Even if I'm not around, the folks here will be more than glad to help out!
1.gif

godiva

Rough_Rock
What's culet? It's listed under Porportion segment.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The cutlet is the pointy tip on the bottom of the diamond.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results