shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help learning more about grandmother's ring

alabonfire

Rough_Rock
This was my grandmother's ring that I believe she purchased from an antique jeweler years ago. I'd really appreciate any information you all might have about when/where it was made, any unique characteristics, etc. I showed it to a local jeweler and was told that they could appraise it but wouldn't know much history about it at first glance, beyond that it maybe looks Art Deco. My family doesn't know much either unfortunately. I had given up hope of finding more information until I stumbled across these forums. I know that it had a lot of sentimental value for my grandmother, and it was one of the few possessions she kept in her old age. I wear it every day.

Here are some photos. It's stamped with 18K and then a triangle and T8. I'm not sure what the metal in the center is; I'm thinking maybe not silver since it didn't tarnish while in storage. There is a very small round stone in the center, but it's hard to see the facets in person so I can't really tell how it was cut.

p1152608.jpg
p1152612.jpg
The sides look like birds or maybe a leaf/flower.
p1152611.jpg
p1152610.jpg
p1152609.jpg
img_0485.jpg

Thank you for your help!

jewelrymouse

Rough_Rock
It does look like a lovely, high quality Art Deco ring, 1920-1935. The silvery color in the center that the diamond is set in would be platinum. Do you think it might say TB rather than T8? I would google something like 18k gold art deco triangle TB (or T8) hallmark. You might have to mix up the words and use different combinations to see what comes up to see if you can get a maker's name. It would be American since it says uses the K.

alabonfire

Rough_Rock
Yes, it's definitely possible it says TB instead; the stamp is kind of worn. I'll search for makers marks and see if anything comes up, especially with the triangle. Thanks for the suggestion!

I was also thinking of taking it to a jeweler to see if they can look at the diamond with the magnifier to tell how it was cut. Maybe that could help confirm the date.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results