shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help in making a good decision 1.5K-2K£

madalin999

Rough_Rock
Hello there fellow price scope members, I am looking for a few suggestions in purchasing in the upcoming 2 months an engagement ring for my future wife :)
Reason for me posting in this forum is that I've seen a lot of people, with a lot of knowledge, and with a good eye for detail.

My price budget would be 1500£-2000£ won't overstretch for more.
I'm a snob when it comes to perfumes, clothing etc, but in jewelry, I am completely clueless. My recent purchase towards my GF was a couple of months ago an eternity ring from bluenile.co.uk which I loved it, for the 360£ I paid down from 550£ on offer, the way it sparkles, the quality, the finish, just too good. That's how I want the diamond of the ring to be, sparkly as it can get, good quality, good cut, GIA certified ( Yes, I've done some reading online in the past weeks, a certificate is a must for this price range). Hopefully these requests won't be too much for you people out there.
I've uploaded some pictures with the models, she's been making a hint of how she would it like to be.

The white setting is her idea, but in gold
and the gold setting is how I would like it to be. 0.60-1Carat if possible, if not we stick to under.

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    258.6 KB · Views: 73
  • exemplu2.png
    exemplu2.png
    201.2 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: AV_

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
52E0B064-CAF0-4789-A3AC-90E6A6DB969A.jpeg
I had a quick look for you, this is the sort of combo you’d be looking at for the money. You may prefer to buy a more basic setting and put more of the budget into the diamond?

madalin999

Rough_Rock
52E0B064-CAF0-4789-A3AC-90E6A6DB969A.jpeg
I had a quick look for you, this is the sort of combo you’d be looking at for the money. You may prefer to buy a more basic setting and put more of the budget into the diamond?
Yes, i was thinking the same, but I would need some help at getting a better diamond, more specific details, the 4c's etc. In my head i want it to be perfect . The setting is really nice, i will save it!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello there fellow price scope members, I am looking for a few suggestions in purchasing in the upcoming 2 months an engagement ring for my future wife :)
Reason for me posting in this forum is that I've seen a lot of people, with a lot of knowledge, and with a good eye for detail.

I'm a snob when it comes to perfumes, clothing etc, but in jewelry, I am completely clueless. My recent purchase towards my GF was a couple of months ago an eternity ring from bluenile.co.uk which I loved it, for the 360£ I paid down from 550£ on offer, the way it sparkles, the quality, the finish, just too good. That's how I want the diamond of the ring to be, sparkly as it can get, good quality, good cut, GIA certified ( Yes, I've done some reading online in the past weeks, a certificate is a must for this price range). Hopefully these requests won't be too much for you people out there.
I've uploaded some pictures with the models, she's been making a hint of how she would it like to be.

and the gold setting is how I would like it to be. 0.60-1Carat if possible, if not we stick to under.

You did not any color parameters and to get size, I went down to a J. Do you know if your girl is color sensitive? What does your girl do professionally (can help us gauge her color sensitivity)? Is she artistic? What are her hobbies?

** https://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab {great angles, J color}
** https://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab {great angles, J color}

These are all good, trade up color for lower size

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Does it have to be round? WWW The simplest solitaire would work with the diamond band.

2p

Last edited:

madalin999

Rough_Rock
You did not any color parameters and to get size, I went down to a J. Do you know if your girl is color sensitive? What does your girl do professionally (can help us gauge her color sensitivity)? Is she artistic? What are her hobbies?

These are all good, trade up color for lower size
She works at a bar/restaurant
She does not have that many hobbies as we are most of the time trapped with work. Colour would be white, D E F, i wouldnt want something that would end up going towards yellowish, but still i would know those criterias would mean more money over a small noticeble difference.

madalin999

Rough_Rock
That is pretty! You always find the unicorns!

Here is what the oval recommended by AV_ compared to the first of the rounds I listed would look like.

1572176947861.png
I really like how even the oval goes aswell, but a bit above my price range, I'm willing to pay 2k max with the setting aswell. Could we work with something like that?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like how even the oval goes aswell, but a bit above my price range, I'm willing to pay 2k max with the setting aswell. Could we work with something like that?
We can find diamonds, but they will be smaller. So, if we allow for a 700 pound setting (recommended by @tyty333) that leaves only 1300 pounds for a diamond which will put it around a 0.50 carat. Just want to check before we go searching.

This setting saves you 200 pounds but lacks pave. Its very popular.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few from a known vendor. If you ask, they are usually happy to send video.

BUT...she must like old diamonds and not be bothered about pre-owned rings.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But, if you want top quality and a stone that will out sparkle the friends and offer a trade-up program that is generous, I'd look at Whiteflash and HighPerformanceDiamonds. Not only are the top notch for performance, but they will look bigger than less cut diamonds and hide more body color.

Setting: https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-solitaire-engagement-ring-for-princess-8.htm {WF may have others, there is a Stuller setting they can get that is often recommended...will look for it}

Diamond:

G-color

I-color

J-color

Check my math, but I think this is in (or close) to budget with conversions.

This is the stuller setting I had in mind @Wewechew can tell us which it is: Also, what ring size are you @Wewechew to give the OP a perspective on your 0.81c.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock

I guess you are in the Uk? I live in the Channel Islands and I have a ACA from Whiteflash and it is the most sparkliest diamond I have seen, it’s set in a pendant and I catch people looking at it all the time. My daughter says that it sparkles like crazy.
If you can I would look at Whiteflash too.

madalin999

Rough_Rock
Here are a few from a known vendor. If you ask, they are usually happy to send video.

BUT...she must like old diamonds and not be bothered about pre-owned rings.
She's not into old vintage styles, nor preowned, and just my thought of getting her a pre owned one bothers me. Appriciate your examples, very nice diamond rings :)

madalin999

Rough_Rock
I guess you are in the Uk? I live in the Channel Islands and I have a ACA from Whiteflash and it is the most sparkliest diamond I have seen, it’s set in a pendant and I catch people looking at it all the time. My daughter says that it sparkles like crazy.
If you can I would look at Whiteflash too.
Whiteflash is american yea? I believe they charge a comission to shipping costs and import taxes, am I right?
And also please do tell me about ACA and what is it

madalin999

Rough_Rock
But, if you want top quality and a stone that will out sparkle the friends and offer a trade-up program that is generous, I'd look at Whiteflash and HighPerformanceDiamonds. Not only are the top notch for performance, but they will look bigger than less cut diamonds and hide more body color.

Setting: https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-solitaire-engagement-ring-for-princess-8.htm {WF may have others, there is a Stuller setting they can get that is often recommended...will look for it}

Diamond:

G-color

I-color

J-color

Check my math, but I think this is in (or close) to budget with conversions.

This is the stuller setting I had in mind @Wewechew can tell us which it is: Also, what ring size are you @Wewechew to give the OP a perspective on your 0.81c.
Gf is a size O, the infinity ring i bought her was an P, also wow, really amazings I will definetly check whiteflash and hpdiamonds, but how do you manage with import costs, wont it be expensive? Also the shipping needs to be 100% safe

Ps, I checked the link u showed me of that ring and diamond the women bought, its perfect, if i can find one like that il take it

Last edited:

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely consider at least H colour to get more diamond for your money.
Mine is an H and it looks so white. It’s a CBI from High Performance Diamonds, I believe most people on this forum would highly recommend this vendor. There are a couple of UK jewelers who stock CBI diamonds also.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
Whiteflash is american yea? I believe they charge a comission to shipping costs and import taxes, am I right?
And also please do tell me about ACA and what is it

Yes, Whiteflash is in the USA. shipping is with FEDEX and insured. Yes there is duty and vat to pay on import, you pay when you collect the package. I don’t use James Allen but they have a good calculator for the charges.
An ACA is a cut above diamond from Whiteflash, it’s the one I have in my avatar a 1.0ct I VS2. The members in this forum helped me find my diamond
493FE6A7-E2CD-44E7-A4D9-28443C7812C9.jpeg 493FE6A7-E2CD-44E7-A4D9-28443C7812C9.jpeg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are UK vendors for Crafted by Infinity diamonds, so no import taxes.

1572207618523.png

You may have to call them since they don't seem to be online. I'd reach out to them and ask for options in your budget and send them the setting picture from Wewechew as inspiration. Tell them its stuller. I'll see if I can find the actual setting on their website.

BUT they may NOT offer the amazing upgrade policy of HighPerformanceDiamonds in the US or Whiteflash. So, there may be advantages to buying from the US and keeping that upgrade line open.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So a UK O is a US 7.5.

I think you need to decide what is the most important thing to you. It sounds like stay in budget then a sparkly, top notch stone. If that is the case, then my advice above stands to get a super-ideal. If you buy from WF or HPD in the US -- yes you pay taxed and customs -- but you can upgrade the size of the stone with $1 more. Most other companies, assuming they have a program, require you to spend double on the upgraded stone. That is a huge difference. So, @sledge is better as explaining these things, but to my mind, the fundamental question is it worth spending $500 more now to give you an upgrade in the future? You take a smaller stone for now, assuming your budget it fixed, but you get that upgrade.

Its your call. There are a lot of stones in this thread that range in size and color.

madalin999

Rough_Rock
So a UK O is a US 7.5.

I think you need to decide what is the most important thing to you. It sounds like stay in budget then a sparkly, top notch stone. If that is the case, then my advice above stands to get a super-ideal. If you buy from WF or HPD in the US -- yes you pay taxed and customs -- but you can upgrade the size of the stone with $1 more. Most other companies, assuming they have a program, require you to spend double on the upgraded stone. That is a huge difference. So, @sledge is better as explaining these things, but to my mind, the fundamental question is it worth spending $500 more now to give you an upgrade in the future? You take a smaller stone for now, assuming your budget it fixed, but you get that upgrade.

Its your call. There are a lot of stones in this thread that range in size and color.
How does the upgrading work? Like you buy a .60 ct diamond then you can upgrade to what exactly? Twice the size? Or 0.30bigger
@rockysalamander WF sounds really good for me, as long as I know how much import tax i would end up paying. The above calculator for james allen its way too much, hopefully WF does cheaper.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s lots of information about policies on the Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds websites, I’d urge you to do some reading. Blue Nile is a good choice (in my opinion) for U.K. buyers as all the VAT and fees are included (VAT is 20% plus there are bank or exchange fees plus FedEx charge a small handling fee- you’ll need to factor those in to your budget if you buy from the US). I posted a stone with nice numbers above, there will be plenty of others and we can help you with that.

In my experience here in the U.K. very few women upgrade their diamonds, it seems to be more of an American (if not Pricescope!) type of thing.

madalin999

Rough_Rock
yes
There’s lots of information about policies on the Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds websites, I’d urge you to do some reading. Blue Nile is a good choice (in my opinion) for U.K. buyers as all the VAT and fees are included (VAT is 20% plus there are bank or exchange fees plus FedEx charge a small handling fee- you’ll need to factor those in to your budget if you buy from the US). I posted a stone with nice numbers above, there will be plenty of others and we can help you with that.

In my experience here in the U.K. very few women upgrade their diamonds, it seems to be more of an American (if not Pricescope!) type of thing.
Yes indeed, you example of the diamond and ring setting above showed its really gorgeous, you think it would have a nice spark to it?
I'm also interested in the ACA diamond cut and CBI, as others mentioned, it will spark like nothing else

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just generally speaking, I really think you should go for cut and as large a diamond you can get. ACA, HPD are super ideal cuts. An ideal cut will always appear larger because there is no light leakage at the edges. They also hide tint and inclusions well, one reason being that the brilliance and fire are such that they draw attention on themselves. I think with D E F you will be wasting money. You can safely go down to at least H even if she is color sensitive but most women would love an ideal cut in this size being I or J too. Do not aim for high clarity, no one will see the difference. Aim for an eye clean SI or best VS2. Since her finger size is already larger you need to get her sparkle and size. If you can get an ideal cut only from the US, shipping is completely safe, fees are worth it and choose a simple solitaire setting. I would take advantage of an upgrade program if you can just in case. It will not hurt. It is just that a small stone looks great on someone with slender fingers, a larger stone looks great on everyone.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
HPD still keeps shop in Europe, I recall - so nevermind the tax problem. I do not worry as much about the 'near colourless' GIA grades in this weight range [I couldn't give you a cutoff - two carats, perhaps]. A pear cut is a different animal & color very much depends on cut. I still love that pear, truth be told, but this should not matter.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think sticking with Blue Nile in the UK would be your best bet in this case.

BN does do upgrades, though WF and HPD are more generous in theirs. If you wanted an upgrade in the future you wouldn't be without the ability to do that.

The £ is also pretty bad at the moment. £2,000 is about $2,500, but your bank may not give you as good of an exchange rate as that - I know mine charges a foreign transaction fee. You'd need to set aside about 25% for various fees which leaves you with $1,875 for your ring and shipping.

WF's and HPD's cheapest settings with diamonds are $595 and $770, respectively and the options aren't pretty (to me) until about $1,000. BN does a nice one at £525, which is comparative in price, $675, but with the taxes already included in the advertised price.

I think US sellers can be a good idea. I don't think it's the right idea for you due to your nervousness about shipping, the bad exchange rate, and high taxes. I really don't think you'll get a better ring for less taking into account the exchange rate, taxes, and costs of international shipping.

You can't really go wrong with getting help here. Other than that it's a US based website so you'll get a lot of US based recommendations. Durham Rose, in the east London, sells CBI diamonds, but doesn't advertise the prices online.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Now that I am thinking, Blue Nile lets you shop as if they were in any of the countries on the 'Shipping To' list. I have never tried to figure out implicit exchange rates & noticed some variation in stock. It may be worth reading their small print after all.

HPD are much more obsessive about round briliants.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At HPD using their least expensive setting with diamonds and their least expensive diamond I came up with $2,085 ( about £1,625) + shipping and taxes for a 0.40 carat, D / SI1. I think with taxes you'd be looking at £2,000 + whatever shipping is.

At WF, a bit more complex (I'm bored this morning!) I used their least expensive diamond setting and came up with a 0.45 ACA which would bring the total to $2,009 (about £1,565). I couldn't get larger and stay in budget of £2,000 including taxes.

At BN I think I found a nice 0.57 carat, G / VS2 diamond. With a similar setting to your 1st one (not the halo) I came to £1,990 total including shipping and out the door.

I understand and acknowledge upfront that these diamonds are not compariable. I know D and G are not the same. At HPD I went for the lowest cost build to see what could be done. At BN I went for the largest well cut diamond sticking to D - G and IF - VS2 within the given price range with the most similar setting I could find.

I'd rather have a 0.57 carat over a 0.40 or 0.45 carat any day. I have a 0.45 carat on a size L finger. I live in the UK and I'd rather have a larger stone. You will be able to see the difference between 0.40 and 0.57 carats.

NB: please let others who are better help you with your diamond choices. I stuck to the basic paramaters for table, depth, crown and pavillion angles. I did not run the numbers through those calculator things.

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the sample Pictures in your original post, your girlfriend sent you a picture indicating that she wants a princess cut diamond with halo and pave. Your picture (or what you want) was a round diamond with graduated side stones down the shank.

Everyone is helping you find rounds. Does your girlfriend want a princess cut? Or a round in a setting like the picture? Cuz if she wants a princess cut and you get her a round ... especially if you get her a round because YOU wanted it ... after she specifically indicated princess, well, it would be unfortunate.

Does she want a round or a princess?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the sample Pictures in your original post, your girlfriend sent you a picture indicating that she wants a princess cut diamond with halo and pave. Your picture (or what you want) was a round diamond with graduated side stones down the shank.

Everyone is helping you find rounds. Does your girlfriend want a princess cut? Or a round in a setting like the picture? Cuz if she wants a princess cut and you get her a round ... especially if you get her a round because YOU wanted it ... after she specifically indicated princess, well, it would be unfortunate.

Does she want a round or a princess?
Additionally, has she tried any rings on?

Some people like a certain shape but it doesn't suit them on the hand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results